August 22, 2014 | 1052 users online

Hair Color - Revlon - Root Erase

rated 5 of 5 on 1/5/2014 6:50:00 PM More reviews by dlaurenf

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

It seems like Revlon makes the best at-home root touch up products and then all too quickly discontinues them. This happened with Root Perfect, and now, it seems, with Root Erase.

Was it too reasonably priced, too convenient, too popular or just plain too good?

I found it easy to use. Granted, not a whole lot of product, but enough for the purpose. It was easy to control the applicator. I think the Root Erase applicator was slightly improved from the former, but I will take either over the other brands I have tried.

The dark brown covered the roots without a red cast. Another plus is the smell was not prominent. As a bit of a negative, it may fade before four weeks. That is what I found in the hairline above my bangs, but I wash them daily.

For all to brief a time this seemed to be readily available in CVS, on Amazon, Soap.com and Drugstore.com. I even tried to order from Revlon.com but their cart reverts to Drugstore.com which has been "temporarily out of stock" for at least three months. (Never did find it at Target though.)

Anyone purchase this within the last couple of months?

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/21/2013 5:55:00 AM More reviews by bassetmomma

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Easy to use! You essentially get a "stamper bottle" (like the kind you use to moisten envelopes) and pat the product on your hair. I have long hair and a lot of it so I used two bottles. The color, "Auburn," was a great match for my current shade. 100% gray coverage? No, not quite but better than other home hair color I've used. Weeks later, the color is still rich. Revlon Hair Color is my favorite. Super cheap, no ammonia, rich results. Try Color Silk if you don't like what you're currently using.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/25/2012 12:16:00 PM More reviews by giamatteo

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Green

As someone who started graying in her early 30's, I've used a lot of root touch up as well as dye (both professional and boxed). I normally shy away from boxed products as I feel most are inferior and do not come close to what the professional products can do.

However, this root touch up is in a class of its own, even surpassing some of the professional products I have used, The kit contains more than enough for optimum coverage and though you may initially think that the color group will not match your shade of color, it should. I have jet black and was hesitant when I saw that the color of the dye had actual browns in it and not the blues that my color usually has. But the color came out perfect and matched my hair flawlessly.

Hardly any mess, applicator really works especially for the side burn area of grays. It covers the entire perimeter of my head and then some. Price is very reasonable. And the color actually lasts longer than 4 weeks! I'm hooked.

rated 3 of 5 on 9/9/2012 5:14:00 PM More reviews by alliecatt

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have used this product twice now, both with the same result. I have naturally light brown hair, but I currently use colorsilk ultra light ash blonde. The root erase turns my roots a ginger color instead of lifting them all the way blonde. It is better than having harsh brown roots, but I was hoping it would lift a little more color. Oh well, it was a convenient solution, although a little pricy for what you get. I will most likely dye my hair darker and forget about the root issues altogether!

rated 4 of 5 on 8/23/2012 2:07:00 AM More reviews by glamourbomb

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Olive, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Root Erase by ColorSilk does what it advertises: it's a root touch up kit for inbetween full blown colorings. Included in the packaging (and what makes this product deliver) is a specially designed applicator sponge tip that enables you to place the hair dye directly on your roots.

While I like it, it works great and will probably use it again (in a pinch) I think it's not a great value. For one, it's more expensive than buying a regular box of Colorsilk, you get less of the actual hair dye and you don't get any conditioning treatment. The only unique thing it's got going for it is that sponge-tip applicator -- and for this feature alone it's pretty cool.

However, I'm only giving Root Erase a four lipstick rating because, IMHO, it's a better value to just buy a regular box of Colorsilk and touch up your roots and temple grays with a toothbrush that you only use for this purpose.

But then again, a box of Root Erase is dead simple to use with absolutely no mess. So, really, it's good stuff. I'm just not sure why it costs more than a box of plain ol' Colorsilk.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/23/2012 4:19:00 PM More reviews by isitfriday

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

love love love this stuff! i get it in medium brown and it covers my gray roots so well, i leave it on for 20 mins, it is sooo easy to apply, no mess at all, blends perfectly. this is amazing, i will buy a case of this, just incase they decide to discontinue it. so happy they brought this back (root perfect was the previous name of this)!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/11/2012 10:31:00 PM More reviews by phoenixrisn

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

It works! I mean this really works! I never write reviews but I just put this on tonight and it is absolutely amazing! I usually buy a whole box of color and then have that weird root line that doesn't quite match the rest of my hair but it's not as noticable as not coloring it so I just go with it. Well for the $3 bucks this cost, I thought "why not?" Well I'm all about it now! I will be telling EVERYONE how great this is. Perfectly matched my roots. I didn't have to re-color the rest of my hair and dry it out either! I will admit, my hair is pretty light so I left the solution on for 20 minutes instead of the 10 suggested on the instructions and it lightened to the rest of my shade so well. My roots are mouse brown and my hair is colored to light blonde. Go buy it, seriously! Easy to apply, no mess, no fuss and no stink that makes your eyes water and run out of the room to get away from your own hair smell! Ha ha. Good job Revlon!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/22/2012 10:09:00 PM More reviews by CJCJ

Age: Unknown Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

OMG. OMG. OH. MY. GOD. Where have I been that I have JUST found out about this product??!!! For years, and I mean YEARS, I have been buying a full box of color to do my roots and all the mess and stink that goes with it. Then, started paying $148 every FOUR WEEKS for my roots (my hair is pure white- since I was 23- and I color it my natural dark brown, so....). THEN, I found that Clariol root thing with the brush. ANd used it for years but it would only last 2 weeks or so. One day, I'm in Walmart and I see this product... I remember reading here on the hair board once about the "root touch-up that looks like a bingo marker" and how great it was. $3.45 and well, why not. OMG OMG OMG OH. MY. GOD. FABULOUS!!!!! This stuff is a BREEZE to put on, it smells clean, and it WORKS ON MY PURE WHITE ROOTS. I'm talking, it lasts 4 weeks or more. No more pulling my color to the ends either. This stuff is the best. I just pray they don't change it or stop making it. LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT!!

Can you tell I think it's the best product on the market?! : )

11 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 5/20/2012 11:44:00 PM More reviews by anitacs9101

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

SO GOOD! I was weary about buying this because I didn't really think all the shades would be able to completely match any color...I don't know if I got lucky or what but "auburn" matches my color PERFECTLY. It was just *slightly* faded looking but you can only tell in some lighting. I have dyed my hair numerous shades of red since I was like 13 and it always fades to an orangey brown. I've tried dying it back to brown but it doesn't work and my dull brown roots just stand out lol. The applicator made it very easy to apply, I thought it was gimmicky at first but it was actually really cool haha. I didn't use it on aaall my roots so idk if it would be enough for that, but I used it on the roots surrounding my head and on my usual part/ middle part/ hair pulled back/ and then just did random sections until I figured I had done enough. I was kinda afraid it would be rllyyyy red and not match my outgrowth at all. But it didn't :D

I dunno about other hair colors but buy this if you have dyed your hair red and don't want to keep dying all your hair but wish to hide the demarcation line. :D

rated 5 of 5 on 3/17/2012 6:11:00 PM More reviews by Joyciejuice

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Awesome! Easy to apply, looks natural. Hair glossy. Lots of compliments. CHEAP! Not alot of product but enought for the job of covering roots. Foam tip applicator reduces spills and mess. I used med brown #41 which was a nice rich brown. Didn't make my roots turn orangey hot like some other brands. Will definitely buy again.