August 29, 2014 | 1708 users online

Eyeliner - Physicians Formula - Shimmer Strips Custom Eye Enhancing Kohl Kajal Eyeliner Trio

rated 3 of 5 on 3/24/2014 5:29:00 PM More reviews by lilyrose93

I really want to like this product and I do when I first apply it.. But after about two hours it is almost completely off or smudged, especially when using the black. I am going to try and make these work but probably will not buy again.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/19/2014 2:04:00 AM More reviews by katautumn

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

For someone like me, who is usually trying to find a bone to pick with Physicians Formula, I surprisingly enough like these. The back story to me purchasing these is that I saw a video not too long ago where Jaclyn Hill did a fantastic eye look using NARS Larger Than Life eye pencil in Rue Bonaparte on her waterline. AMAZEBALLS! I have NYX jumbo eye pencil in Milk, and it's nice on the waterline for a more dramatic pop, but there was something about a subtle nude color on the waterline that transfixed me.

Well, I was at Rite-Aid one night and they had a bunch of sale stickers in the PF section. I think I'm a glutton for punishment when it comes to me and PF's eye products, but I could't help myself. On the very bottom row they had these kohl kajal trios and as if the heavens parted and angels sang I saw the Nude trio and there was the nude/champagne eyeliner I was desperately searching for.

Now, let me just say that a lot of folks have complained that these are expensive for a drugstore eyeliner, but I have to disagree. For starters, my beloved NYX Slide-On eyeliner costs $8 a pencil. These are three eyeliners for $12. Now, you look at these and you think, "crappers! There isn't much to these!" because what you see is what you get. That cute little cone at the bottom wrapped in sparkly shrink wrap? Just a comfy place to rest your hand. There isn't any actual product down there. Still, it's not bad, volume wise when you take into consideration both the formula of the eyeliner and the size of the cone. Is it a steal? Not by a long shot, but it's not a *total* rip-off either.

Kajal liners have been used by women in India for centuries. In India, they used to be made form lead derivatives and are worn by women as well as men and children. The shape allows for ease of application to the waterline. If you aren't familiar with kohl kajal liners I can see where you'd think this is just a goofy product that sucks in terms of design.

Let's talk about what these are. They are hard in texture. They're supposed to be. It's a kohl liner. Most eyeliners, like my NYX Slide-On, have a very soft smooth texture. Nice for application, but that also means they wear down to a little nubbin very quickly. Okay, so the cap design stinks. Seriously, Physicians Formula, I wish these would have screwed on. Trying to wiggle them loose does pose a risk of breaking the tip off; however, I have yet to break one of these, but I have to be super careful when removing the cap.

You don't apply these like a regular eye pencil where you draw your line from the tip. These you lay the edge of the cone flush against your waterline or lash line and rub back and forth in short strokes. Are these good for creating a precise, fine cat eye? No. Are these good for a nice smoked out line? Yes. Are they great for a subtle smudged out lower lash line? Yes. Are these super pigmented? Not really, but that's what I like about them. My other black eyeliners are so stark, true black. And that's great for when I want a bold liner, but sometimes I just want something sort of soft to play up my eyes without them looking overly made up.

The Natural Nude trio comes with a gorgeous champagne/nude shimmery color, a shimmery chocolate brown, and a soft shimmery black. My biggest problem with the black is that it's really too sparkly to be used on the waterline. It does, however, go well very subtly on the lower lash line. The nude shade, however, was very pretty on the waterline and did not cause me any irritation, and I have very sensitive eyes.

I find these wear pretty well, actually. Honestly, my eyes are so juicy from seasonal allergies most of the time that even the most reliable allegedly 24/7 waterproof eyeliners smudge and fade within a couple of hours on me and require some light touch up. I'm probably not the best person to make any sort of judgmental calls on the longevity of an eyeliner. Still, my expectations weren't 24 hour flawless wear. I did notice when I swatched on my hand, let it sit for about a minute, and then went back to smudge it it stayed pretty well put. With that said, I had no trouble smudging it out to a softer line under my lashes with a smudge sponge brush.

Would I rush right out and buy these again? Probably not the trio. I wish I could get the nude shade by itself. I would totally buy that again. I don't have a lot of use for the brown or black shades, though. I also probably wouldn't recommend these either. They're a little novelty and I can think of some other products that would out-perform these. Still, if you're reading this and you have them, don't throw them out. Try applying them as they're meant to be applied and appreciating them for their subtle, smokey beauty and see if you can't at least tolerate them enough to get your money's worth.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/8/2014 2:02:00 PM More reviews by rratstarr5

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Straight, Medium Eyes: Grey

The low oveall rating for these is deceptive, since most reviewers clearly used it incorrectly!!!

If you can find Youtube videos on how to use cone kajal (there are only a few) you will see that they are not the same as pencil eyeliners. You rub the SIDE of the cone on your waterline, or you can close your eye over the side of it to line top and bottom at the same time. I simply press lightly below my eye to separate the lid slightly, and line with the side of the cone.

It works really well, and there is none of that "tickle" sensation that I usually get when using a pencil on the waterline.

I might otherwise knock it down a lippie for the lack of explanation on the packaging of how best to use the project. In fact, one project illustration makes it seem as though they should be used like pencils. However, I think previous reviewers have lowered the review enough to reflect that shortcoming.

I have the trio for Nude eyes, and the colors are great: Champagne, Pewter, and black whth subtle shimmer. I already knew I would like the colors as I have the retractable pencils in the same colors.

Physicians Formula has a bit of a reputation of being expensive for drugstore, but there are often sales that make them reasonably priced. I believe in the end I paid around US $11 for the set of 3, and got back $7 back in store rewards.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/11/2014 11:26:00 PM More reviews by Halloqueen

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I got these in the kit for hazel eyes...it contains a black, taupe and purple/pink color. I took a gamble on these, as they look as if the tips are begging to get knocked off. But after playing with them for a few days, once I got the hang of using them, I haven't had any trouble. The trick, as someone else mentioned, it not to use them like a pencil. You need to lay them horizontally and use the sides of the tip, not the tip head on. You will most likely break them if you try to use the tip only. If you are into ultra thin, ultra precise liner application, I'd pass on these. I like to smudge my liner, and it doesn't have to be perfect, and these work well for that. The design of the package is also tricky, as pulling the lid off and on can break or dent the product. Having said all that, they are decent liners for the price, and do look nice on hazel or green eyes. I think I still prefer automatic pencils just because they are more durable, but I'll use these up.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/7/2013 2:34:00 PM More reviews by WendyW

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

The package states "Improved" so give these guys a chance. I really like them. Use all three liners (Black, Charcoal, and Silver). Lasts, doesn't sting or run. Goes on smoothly. Have gotten a lot of compliments when I use them.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/28/2013 2:49:00 PM More reviews by empresswu

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Totally devoted to these kohl gems, great for Asian eyes! Be gentle like a dove when applying so as not to break the point. Brown shade and believe or not the hazel colors all good for olive complexion. Easy to blend and lasts all day on my oily skin, virtually smudge free. Only Paraben free products touch my skin and PF is my true bff.

rated 1 of 5 on 10/6/2013 5:50:00 PM More reviews by Chelseatait

The colors caught my eye, so I was super excited to try them, too bad they broke as soon as they touched my skin. way to expensive to be that cheap! really wish I would have reviewed them before I bought. don't waste your money.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/18/2013 2:15:00 PM More reviews by bborsody

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I bought these for Hazel eyes and have been using them for about a week. If you have patience, and are careful, you can get some good effects. Here is how I learned to live with them:

1. For waterline use, or tight lining, do that as one of your last steps in your eye makeup application. It seems to need some time to “set” so opening and closing your eyes, as happens when putting on shadow / liner, can cause it to smear under the eye. That can be cleaned up with a Q-tip, but it is easier to just do the waterline work last, or as close to it as possible.

2. For using under the lower lashes, conceal, powder and then put on a little primer (I use Urban Decay), which helps to lock the liner down and keep it from smearing.

I would describe this as a powder/gel composite. The tips of the pencils are very soft so go slow and be careful. If you get too aggressive in your application you can easily break off the tip, as many of you have experienced.

I line the upper lid with the purple color, the waterline with the black and the under eye with the brown/taupe. It gives a very nice effect and seems to wear as well as can be expected. That doesn’t mean I am not keeping my eyes open for similar, better, kohl kajal liners.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/29/2013 2:37:00 PM More reviews by Lois_k

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

No, no, no ladies! This product works very well, but you have to use it correctly. It is not a pencil, and won't work well if used that way. I have the nude ones now, but I did have a set of the purple, green and black that I threw away because I didn't know how to use them. (and the directions aren't helpful) and now I wish I hadn't

Here's how they work for me, and I have sensitive, contact lens wearing eyes.

Line your waterline and squeeze your eyes shut for about 10 seconds..it will transfer to the top waterline. Blink your eyes until your eyes clear anything that might be on your eyes. You can leave it like this or apply another line above your upper lashline for more drama. Don't poke it at your eye, or use it like a pencil...hold it horizontally. I'm trying to use it in the traditional way, by basically closing my eye on the stick...but I have to practice. In the meantime, the "squeezing method" works great for me. It does sometimes transfer to my eye and blur a little, but not bad and it doesn't hurt. (although everyone is different) I just blink until it clears, or clean my contact.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/24/2013 7:10:00 PM More reviews by OSusanna

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I haven't had any problems with these yet as described in reviews below. I get a good line for a decent 8-10 hours without any smudging or flaking. No problems yet with the tip breaking off. I have not a clue whether these can be sharpened or not. If they can't, then what a waste. I doubt I would buy these again but the colors in the nude set were exactly what i needed, particularly the medium charcoal/brown shade.