Physicians Formula Shimmer Strips Custom Eye Enhancing Kohl Kajal Eyeliner Trio

1.7

on 7/30/2015 1:19:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

I got these in a swap, back when MUA still had a swap section. I was interested in trying out kajal eyeliner, and this seems to be the only kind available in the US in conical form. I have the Brown Eyes trio, which comes with a black, brown, and purple eyeliner.

It seems like most of the bad reviews on this product are from people who do not know how to properly use the eyeliner. It is applied using the side, not the tip. It can be used on the waterline, but I only use it on my upper lashline.

The reason why I give this eyeliner a 3/5 rating is because it smudges like crazy! While I believe kajal liners are supposed to be easy to smudge, I have a strange eye shape where every kind of mascara or eyeliner will smudge a little under my eyes at least a little. This transfers onto my lower eyelid rather quickly and profusely. I can prevent this by setting the liner with eyeshadow, but this should not be a required step. The eyeliner also could be more pigmented and apply more smoothly. This is evident when applying black eyeshadow on top of the black eyeliner; it looks much better after this step.

As for the packaging, it's a little flimsy. My purple liner comes out at the base and I often need to stick it back in, and when I remove the cap of my brown one, the entire top of the pencil goes with it, so I need to hold it by the base of the pencil, rather than the handle, when opening it. I've seen other kajal liners that twist up from its casing, like a lipstick. This would be much more compact and convenient.

I wouldn't buy these again, but perhaps I would like to try a kajal liner from South Asia to compare it with.

on 7/27/2015 5:52:00 AM

i have these in all colors, i started out only buying the nude and smoky colors, then i bought hazel and brown eyes sets. idk why but the colored kajals that come in the hazel and brown sets always chip off, maybe formula is different or i just got the defective lot. anyways i love the medium to dark pigmentation that u can build up to when u use these. the colors are gorgeous with subtle shimmer to it, tho it is more like glitter in the black ones of the trios, but i dont mind. i have a weakness for PF products, i hope they never discontinue these

on 7/7/2015 10:34:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Nope. Just no.
Here's the thing. The colors are lovely. The idea of these is great. But they just don't last at all. They smudge or disappear so quickly its not worth the trouble. There are so many great eyeliners at the drugstore, don't waste your money on these.
Other reviewers have mentioned to use these differently from a regular pencil eyeliner, turn the cone on its side and rub. I've done it. Regardless, the color is gone out of my waterline almost instantly or smudged off my eyelids right away. They didn't work for me at all.

on 4/24/2015 12:08:00 AM

I love these. They last on my eyes just fine and glide on like a dream. The colors are great as well.

on 3/13/2015 12:22:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Terrible product, and a waste of money. I should have read the reviews first. I tried to use these like a traditional kajal kohl. Absolutely zero product deposited. Waited a couple days, gave it another try, still no luck. I applied it like a regular eyeliner pencil on my waterline and did get the product to work, sadly it wore off and smudged quickly. Don't even bother with these, they are pretty much useless.

on 1/12/2015 12:01:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

Breaks off and Smudges easily so went for luxury eyeliners. Don't recommend them at all.

on 1/1/2015 7:32:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I bought this product last year because there was a sale at the drugstore. Each and everytime I used the eyeliners, I had an allergic reaction the next morning. My eyes would be red, swollen, and crusted. I used eye drops to clear everything up but it would take a day to recover. This product is not for me. I think for my safety, I'll stay away from this brand and stick to my usual.

on 9/26/2014 8:41:00 PM

The only way to use these ridiculously packaged crayons are as follows: Get contact lens plastic containers and crush the crayons in them. I apply the copper in the warm nude set with my finger on eyelid and it is lovely. I apply the black with an eyeliner brush and it does last all day. I have yet to use the bronze. However, the plastic contact lens containers or individual plastic pill containers are ideal for crushing products that you want to apply with a brush.

on 3/24/2014 5:29:00 PM

I really want to like this product and I do when I first apply it.. But after about two hours it is almost completely off or smudged, especially when using the black. I am going to try and make these work but probably will not buy again.

on 3/19/2014 2:04:00 AM

For someone like me, who is usually trying to find a bone to pick with Physicians Formula, I surprisingly enough like these. The back story to me purchasing these is that I saw a video not too long ago where Jaclyn Hill did a fantastic eye look using NARS Larger Than Life eye pencil in Rue Bonaparte on her waterline. AMAZEBALLS! I have NYX jumbo eye pencil in Milk, and it's nice on the waterline for a more dramatic pop, but there was something about a subtle nude color on the waterline that transfixed me.

Well, I was at Rite-Aid one night and they had a bunch of sale stickers in the PF section. I think I'm a glutton for punishment when it comes to me and PF's eye products, but I could't help myself. On the very bottom row they had these kohl kajal trios and as if the heavens parted and angels sang I saw the Nude trio and there was the nude/champagne eyeliner I was desperately searching for.

Now, let me just say that a lot of folks have complained that these are expensive for a drugstore eyeliner, but I have to disagree. For starters, my beloved NYX Slide-On eyeliner costs $8 a pencil. These are three eyeliners for $12. Now, you look at these and you think, "crappers! There isn't much to these!" because what you see is what you get. That cute little cone at the bottom wrapped in sparkly shrink wrap? Just a comfy place to rest your hand. There isn't any actual product down there. Still, it's not bad, volume wise when you take into consideration both the formula of the eyeliner and the size of the cone. Is it a steal? Not by a long shot, but it's not a *total* rip-off either.

Kajal liners have been used by women in India for centuries. In India, they used to be made form lead derivatives and are worn by women as well as men and children. The shape allows for ease of application to the waterline. If you aren't familiar with kohl kajal liners I can see where you'd think this is just a goofy product that sucks in terms of design.

Let's talk about what these are. They are hard in texture. They're supposed to be. It's a kohl liner. Most eyeliners, like my NYX Slide-On, have a very soft smooth texture. Nice for application, but that also means they wear down to a little nubbin very quickly. Okay, so the cap design stinks. Seriously, Physicians Formula, I wish these would have screwed on. Trying to wiggle them loose does pose a risk of breaking the tip off; however, I have yet to break one of these, but I have to be super careful when removing the cap.

You don't apply these like a regular eye pencil where you draw your line from the tip. These you lay the edge of the cone flush against your waterline or lash line and rub back and forth in short strokes. Are these good for creating a precise, fine cat eye? No. Are these good for a nice smoked out line? Yes. Are they great for a subtle smudged out lower lash line? Yes. Are these super pigmented? Not really, but that's what I like about them. My other black eyeliners are so stark, true black. And that's great for when I want a bold liner, but sometimes I just want something sort of soft to play up my eyes without them looking overly made up.

The Natural Nude trio comes with a gorgeous champagne/nude shimmery color, a shimmery chocolate brown, and a soft shimmery black. My biggest problem with the black is that it's really too sparkly to be used on the waterline. It does, however, go well very subtly on the lower lash line. The nude shade, however, was very pretty on the waterline and did not cause me any irritation, and I have very sensitive eyes.

I find these wear pretty well, actually. Honestly, my eyes are so juicy from seasonal allergies most of the time that even the most reliable allegedly 24/7 waterproof eyeliners smudge and fade within a couple of hours on me and require some light touch up. I'm probably not the best person to make any sort of judgmental calls on the longevity of an eyeliner. Still, my expectations weren't 24 hour flawless wear. I did notice when I swatched on my hand, let it sit for about a minute, and then went back to smudge it it stayed pretty well put. With that said, I had no trouble smudging it out to a softer line under my lashes with a smudge sponge brush.

Would I rush right out and buy these again? Probably not the trio. I wish I could get the nude shade by itself. I would totally buy that again. I don't have a lot of use for the brown or black shades, though. I also probably wouldn't recommend these either. They're a little novelty and I can think of some other products that would out-perform these. Still, if you're reading this and you have them, don't throw them out. Try applying them as they're meant to be applied and appreciating them for their subtle, smokey beauty and see if you can't at least tolerate them enough to get your money's worth.