Julep Nail Polishes

2.5

on 8/28/2015 6:49:00 PM

I'm a maven and I love the small bottles of polish, although I do sometimes feel overwhelmed that I have too much! VERY GOOD DEAL and the polish has great on point colors that I crave! The only problem is these colors get sold out so it becomes an obsession!

on 7/13/2015 1:55:00 PM

I signed up for Julep Maven and have been enjoying a rekindled obsession with nail polishes!

The polishes themselves are nice. Lots of different colors, and with Maven I've been trying colors that I normally wouldn't. The bottles are a little smaller than, say, Sally Hansen, but I've never finished a bottle of even a mini, so I'd rather have the better quality, variety and a little less quantity.

Today I'm wearing a peach creme (Kelsey) that I would NEVER have bought in the store, and I love it! On my ring fingers I used a clear with white hearts and glitter (Yuki). Under it all is the oxygen bonding base coat. I applied it all Saturday night about an hour before going to bed, and am happy to report sleeping did not smudge or smear or dent any of it. Yesterday I washed dishes, clean toilets, gardened, and was generally rough on my hands, and I have to chips or other issues, so I am happy with the durability.

Being a Julep Maven also is fun. You can pick everything in your box, or even skip boxes after the first month. I've belonged for a few months, and not only have I not skipped at all, but I've also been buying the mystery boxes. The most recent, "Holo", cost $25 for over $100 in products. Great deal, the anticipation is tasty, and I'm getting great variety of color.

Yes, I recommend this product!

on 7/5/2015 3:49:00 PM

I guess I'm foolish by the reckoning of most folks here, because I paid full price for my first Julep polish from Sephora.

I am a product minimalist, and sensitive to many chemicals and ingredients in hair and skin care, so I often try things and have to give (or throw) away partial bottles. I love the smaller quantity in a Julep polish because I will never use an entire bottle up anyway and this feels less wasteful.

I am more concerned about Julep being a 5-free polish than the cost per ounce.

While it does still have an odor, I find it less stinky than some old school nail products I've tried.

I joined the Maven program after searching for more polish colors online. I'm not into beauty subscriptions, but I've found it trivially easy to swap out products from my monthly box, find the secret sale during select days, and skip months as I see fit. I've also shipped a couple of boxes to relatives for gifts. All very easy to do.

I've got about eight Julep polishes now as well as the Oxygen Nail Treatment in both pink and ivory. The Ivory Treatment is my most frequently applied nail product for home use. I get a manicure every 2-3 weeks in a salon, then remove the professionally applied color when it chips (3-4 days usually) and go back to Ivory treatment for the duration. My very thin, flexible (bendy), easily broken/torn nails seem to grow about 50-75% longer while I'm wearing the Treatment. (Instead of a mere 1-2 mm of white tip before tearing, I can grow a more "ladylike" 3-5 mm long nail.)

Out of my eight polishes, one, a $2.99 special (I believe) arrived with a thicker, gluey texture I didn't care for. Since I also disliked the color, I didn't worry about it too much, but I have experienced the less elegant texture issue. Many of my other colors go on fairly thin, but, since I like a natural look, I'm actually pretty happy with the thinner texture. I like the sheer effect and usually choose colors that look good that way.

Julep is undoubtedly not the ideal polish for everyone, but it is the best polish I've found for someone like me as of today. Consider it if you are careful about chemicals, but still wish to beautify. I haven't tried to cancel my Maven membership, but I'm not worried about it as my credit card company will protect my financial interests if Julep itself doesn't. Customer service thus far (4 months) has been very good.

on 6/26/2015 10:41:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine

I am definitely in the Julep camp and have not had the problems others have described. I am a Maven and have been very pleased. Dry time with the polishes has not been an issue at all. In fact, for the first time ever I was able to do my nails while my baby took a nap. I used my normal base coat, and I used my normal fast drying top coat (sally hansen instadri). I painted on a Tuesday afternoon, and they were perfect by the time I removed the polish Saturday. No chipping at all! Perhaps application is different, body chemistry is different, different/improved formulas, etc. I like the brush, as well. It is wide and flat, kind of like the wet n wild megalast, or the sally hansen comlete salon manicure, but it doesn't taper to a point. Julep is pricier for the size of the bottles. However, for me the quality is high, and I just love getting my box of goodies. You get to pick everything in your box so no one should receive anything unwanted! You even have several free welcome boxes to choose from. If you research enough blogs and the site itself, you will find a welcome box you like. You can also skip any box after you pay for your first monthly box. So, your first welcome box is free with you paying shipping ($2.99). Then you pay $24.99 for your first box (unless you prepay for 3 months for $60.00, making each box $19.99). Once you have paid the 24.99 for your first box, you can skip as many boxes as you need to. The company listened to customer issues and complaints (customer service issues, cancellation issues) and came up with that solution. I thought it was a good one. All I can say is that I am happy being a Maven.

on 2/28/2015 11:40:00 AM

Very sad about all these other reviews! I've had a maven subscription for almost a year now, and have well over $600 worth of their product. I love everything I have gotten thus far, with the exception of lip glosses because I hate gloss to begin with and was not aware I could swap products :)

There is a trick to their products: use JULEP BRAND top and bottom coat, and stick to "creme" colors if you have issues with chipping.
Which, FYI, short of shellac/gel polish, EVERY NAIL POLISH CHIPS! It's a part of life. The longevity lies in the application and care. (But seriously, if your going to complain about chips, go get acrylics or gel)
I have super greasy nails so even gel peels off in a week. Regular nail polish in less than a day! Julep cream colors (ie, Reagan, Jules, Vicki, and London) last well over a week (did I mention no top or bottom coat when I tested these ones?) with only micro-wear and tear on the tips and cuticles, which I believe is due to the plastic-y, gluey consistency that it takes on after only a few uses. That being said, application can become difficult, but worth the results. (Plus when I get manis or pedis the polish at the shops looks dry and gluey too- if they can use it, I can figure it out too!)
Another thing I like is that the odor is HUSBAND APPROVED! Not nearly as acrid as regular polish. And all of their new polishes are 5free, so I wouldn't hesitate to use it on my daughter. Much better than you drugstore varieties.

Price: ok a bit pricey, but only if you are just shopping as a one time hit it and quit it deal. A Maven subscription gives you:
-First box free ($2.99 s&h) with 5 items in the box
-Discount perks in the boxes (1/2 off, $10, $20, $30 off)
-20% off all products in the online shop
-Free shipping for your additional purchases
-The ability to do 5 add ons of selected items at amazing discounts at the end of the checkout process
-monthly boxes are only $28 after shipping, but come with about $50-$60 worth of product
-ability to switch out anything in your box that you don't like for other products, no charge!
-point reward program that allows you almost 2 free boxes a year (best part in my opinion)
-a beauty profile that signs you up for colors/products that are more what you would like or want....so those of you complaining about how they only send you dark colors: you are doing it wrong. You sign up for a color type.

In conclusion, I think this brand is misunderstood and the reviews on here are remedial at best, so maybe try these products before you knock em!

Hint: if you only want to try a bottle, purchase a single from Sephora. You may like it 😉

on 2/10/2015 4:17:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Shocked by the terrible reviews here! I've had the Maven sub for long enough to get a welcome box and two additional monthly boxes. I've put add-ins into the most recent box as well. I've been really happy with all the polishes I've tried except for one. (More on that in a minute.) The ones on my toes last with no chipping for weeks, and on my fingers a little less, usually about 5 days before minimal chipping, and a few more days with some wear. Plus, if you keep an eye out, many of the polishes go on sale for $4.99, which is cheaper than drugstore.

The one polish I was unhappy with was Soleil, a really gorgeous rose-gold coppery metallic. It's a near-perfect dupe for Essie's Penny Talk (which I also own). This chipped within a day, even with my usual Sally Hansen base + top coat. BUT the Essie does the same thing! Neither of them last longer than a day without half the nail flaking off. Something about that type of pigment I guess. I was so disappointed, because I was really hoping that Soleil would replace Penny Talk and give me that gorgeous color I'd been wanting.

One more note about Julep's customer service: one of the add-in bottles I ordered, a Matte top coat which changes the finish of the polish to a matte, arrived chipped in such a way that the bottle won't stand up to be applied. I emailed them and they apologized profusely, asked for a picture so they can investigate their manufacturing to make sure it doesn't happen again, and immediately put a new one in the mail for me free of charge. It's a shame other people have had so many problems, I've been really happy.

on 1/4/2015 11:55:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

Hair: Other, Wavy, Other

I did the Julep Maven thing for a few months which is how I ended up with these polishes. (Terrible experience by the way). I can't really think of a positive thing to say about their products. I mean... the colors look super cute but everything about them is just bad. Super thick to start with, but after even just one use they take on the consistency of glue, so I can't really see getting any long term use out of them. They take forever to dry and chip faster than most polishes that cost much less. The packaging LOOKS cute but the brush is way too long and the amount of polish you get is not enough. These nail polishes sell for something like $15 individually which I think is completely ridiculous considering how low quality they are.

on 11/29/2014 6:40:00 PM

I am shocked at all the terrible reviews!!! I am a Maven subscriber and totally LOVE this product! I received three polishes in my welcome box and love them all. I'm also a manicurist and confessed polish addict. The first time I used Julep's polish I thought "Wow"! I can hardly wait for this months box to come! Smooth, even, pigmented, and I didn't notice any "toxic" smell or eternal drying process. They applied beautifully! I have no experience with the customer service as I am still a member. No problems here! I'm a Julep fan!

on 11/18/2014 9:10:00 PM

My friend is a maven and she gave me one of the colors, "princess grace," because she knows I like orange and coral colors. The color itself was cute and the packaging was cute too.

But it takes forever and ever to dry; I figured 30 min would be enough time and I could go to class but nope. I picked up my bag and half the coat scraped off. And it smells horrible, toxic. And it was clumpy for me, which makes it harder because I'm already horrible at applying polish.

My friend wants to cancel but she's scared after reading the reviews here.
We both agree that spending $24.99 plus shipping is a total ripoff.

It's a shame because overall, the colors and packaging seemed cute and nice.

on 11/18/2014 6:03:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

What drew me to sign up for Julep was the Halloween box that was free with just $2.99 shipping. I think I got 3 or 4 nail polishes and an eye liner which was a steal. I went ahead and continued for one more month because I was offered a discounted price off plus more items: more nail polishes, a hand cream, hand scrub, and I think one more item. They even threw in some candy. I failed to cancel before getting my next box so I got my last one at $24.99 with 3 nail polishes and .. HALF of the plie wand.. the magnet part! Wtf.

*NAIL POLISH = they are no better than a nail polish you can get for $2.99 or even $0.99. The brush is actually the crappy part about it. For years, I've never had a messy time applying my nail polish until I started getting these, which might be why they tempt you into buying their Plie Wand. I believe no one needs another tool to apply nail polish unless you're creating designs because all the companies that make good nail polish include an already good brush! The colors I received were nothing special either. And they always kept sending me dark colors!

*Eye liner = I received one in a plum color and it's just good for a base. Not very pigmented.

*Luxe Care Hand Cream = Moisturizes hands pretty well but I didn't like the smell.

*Glycolic Hand Scrub = I think it actually softened my hands quicker even though the granules were much smaller. But if you have cuts on your hands, they might sting! It also left my hands feeling a bit sudsy after rinsing.

All in all, these products are not worth what they are at full price.

Popular Polishes