Julep Nail Polishes

2.5

I love nail polish, particularly when it is cheap or free. I've been on a run of getting random polishes from friends who are moving away. Yes, please give me your partly used Orly and Essie and China Glaze polishes! When I saw that I could get Julep nail polish for $3, with their first free box, I was so excited! I got 3 polishes and the O2 base coat. The colors are great, bright and fun, but the polishes themselves leave a lot to be desired. Each polish took at least 2 coats to get any coverage, one was still very streaky after 3 coats. The bottles are tiny, which is fine when you aren't paying much but the full price is about $9 for a teeny tiny bottle. Two of my three polishes refused to dry, and when I applied topcoat they smudged instantly. And only one color lasted a full week with minimal touch ups. The other two colors were basically done after 3 days. Very disappointing. Why do vegan polishes always have so many issues?

I subscribed to Julep a couple years ago. I unsubscribed because I found the I never quite liked everything in the box. I thought I would just spend the money once a month on one really amazing nail polish of my choice down at the local Sephora. On my monthly, more like weekly, visit down to my own personal Mecca; I saw Julep was now being sold at Sephora. I gagged a little and looked down on Sephora. I thought Sephora was going up in the world and starting to cast out the peasant makeup brands that wore their hair in pony tails twice a week or tried to sit with Sephora and Hautelook at the same time. YOU CAN'T SIT HERE JULEP! I digress...

PROS:
- The bottle is cute... small but cute...
- Two colours, out of like 18, were unique. I gave away the other 16 bottles to two friends. One liked the nail polish and the other, a mean girl like myself, hated them. I was just checking their site though and I like some colour options; so many cantaloupes...

CONS:
- I hated the formulation. I had similar distaste for this that I have for Essie. This nail polish does not dry on my fingers and applies quite streaky (in general, I did keep 2 of 18).
- I HATE the applicator. For the price you would think it would be a little better. It literally is like the nail polish wand on kids play makeup.. thin... plastic... It sticks together... its just bad.
- The nail polish is hella expensive!
- The bottle makes for a mess for the accident prone.

Bad applicator, bad formulation for me equals no go.

I have quite a few Julep polishes due to being a maven for about a year. There are some pretty colors, few are unique. Most are easy to dupe. The Polish cost is very high, ounce for ounce one of the most expensive brands at retail. I like the bottle design aesthetics, but you are paying as much or more than other brands for a bottle that us 50% of the size. On top of that the quality is abysmal. I have colors that never DRY (Even under seche vite!), colors that were too gloopy to apply smoothly even when new. I have had bottles and make up items fthat literally spoiled and began to grow something *eww*. If you want excellent 5-free polish check out Zoya. If you want creative look for some indie brands. Quality wise almost any polish at the drugstore is better. Essie = better. OPI = Better etc. Also, while I never had a billing issue with Julep it is worth noting that they have an F rating with the BBB.

Julep polishes have always disappointed me even more than standard drug store nail polishes. If I'm going to pay more for polish, I expect better results AND/OR that they will last longer. Julep does not offer any incentives, colors, or other qualities to their polishes that justifies paying more than drugstore prices; if anything, at least drugstore polishes contain a lot more polish! I'd rather have 10oz of usable Revlon than 2oz usable Julep!

I got its wedding box for free (with 3 nail polishes and 1 lip gloss inside). The design of the nail polish is very cute. However, long bottle seems not working for nail polish as the liquid keeps dropping off from the tube. I cleaned my fingers and table a few times when doing my both hands. Colour-wise, the blue colour one is fine. But the pink and white failed to meet my expectation, I put 3 coatings on to get the stated colour. One more thing, these nail polishes take forever to dry and got damaged easily (I guess that's because of the thick coatings). Anyway, they are FREE (just costs me $3 on shipping). So, there's nothing to regret.

Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm

Worst customer service experience of my life. Almost impossible to cancel their "maven box" bullshit, or even get a human on the phone. Nailpolishes are mediocre at best, but mostly the formulas are clumpy and crap. You can google and see lots more customer complaints. DO NOT SUPPORT THEM.

I'm a maven and I love the small bottles of polish, although I do sometimes feel overwhelmed that I have too much! VERY GOOD DEAL and the polish has great on point colors that I crave! The only problem is these colors get sold out so it becomes an obsession!

I signed up for Julep Maven and have been enjoying a rekindled obsession with nail polishes!

The polishes themselves are nice. Lots of different colors, and with Maven I've been trying colors that I normally wouldn't. The bottles are a little smaller than, say, Sally Hansen, but I've never finished a bottle of even a mini, so I'd rather have the better quality, variety and a little less quantity.

Today I'm wearing a peach creme (Kelsey) that I would NEVER have bought in the store, and I love it! On my ring fingers I used a clear with white hearts and glitter (Yuki). Under it all is the oxygen bonding base coat. I applied it all Saturday night about an hour before going to bed, and am happy to report sleeping did not smudge or smear or dent any of it. Yesterday I washed dishes, clean toilets, gardened, and was generally rough on my hands, and I have to chips or other issues, so I am happy with the durability.

Being a Julep Maven also is fun. You can pick everything in your box, or even skip boxes after the first month. I've belonged for a few months, and not only have I not skipped at all, but I've also been buying the mystery boxes. The most recent, "Holo", cost $25 for over $100 in products. Great deal, the anticipation is tasty, and I'm getting great variety of color.

Yes, I recommend this product!

I guess I'm foolish by the reckoning of most folks here, because I paid full price for my first Julep polish from Sephora.

I am a product minimalist, and sensitive to many chemicals and ingredients in hair and skin care, so I often try things and have to give (or throw) away partial bottles. I love the smaller quantity in a Julep polish because I will never use an entire bottle up anyway and this feels less wasteful.

I am more concerned about Julep being a 5-free polish than the cost per ounce.

While it does still have an odor, I find it less stinky than some old school nail products I've tried.

I joined the Maven program after searching for more polish colors online. I'm not into beauty subscriptions, but I've found it trivially easy to swap out products from my monthly box, find the secret sale during select days, and skip months as I see fit. I've also shipped a couple of boxes to relatives for gifts. All very easy to do.

I've got about eight Julep polishes now as well as the Oxygen Nail Treatment in both pink and ivory. The Ivory Treatment is my most frequently applied nail product for home use. I get a manicure every 2-3 weeks in a salon, then remove the professionally applied color when it chips (3-4 days usually) and go back to Ivory treatment for the duration. My very thin, flexible (bendy), easily broken/torn nails seem to grow about 50-75% longer while I'm wearing the Treatment. (Instead of a mere 1-2 mm of white tip before tearing, I can grow a more "ladylike" 3-5 mm long nail.)

Out of my eight polishes, one, a $2.99 special (I believe) arrived with a thicker, gluey texture I didn't care for. Since I also disliked the color, I didn't worry about it too much, but I have experienced the less elegant texture issue. Many of my other colors go on fairly thin, but, since I like a natural look, I'm actually pretty happy with the thinner texture. I like the sheer effect and usually choose colors that look good that way.

Julep is undoubtedly not the ideal polish for everyone, but it is the best polish I've found for someone like me as of today. Consider it if you are careful about chemicals, but still wish to beautify. I haven't tried to cancel my Maven membership, but I'm not worried about it as my credit card company will protect my financial interests if Julep itself doesn't. Customer service thus far (4 months) has been very good.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine

I am definitely in the Julep camp and have not had the problems others have described. I am a Maven and have been very pleased. Dry time with the polishes has not been an issue at all. In fact, for the first time ever I was able to do my nails while my baby took a nap. I used my normal base coat, and I used my normal fast drying top coat (sally hansen instadri). I painted on a Tuesday afternoon, and they were perfect by the time I removed the polish Saturday. No chipping at all! Perhaps application is different, body chemistry is different, different/improved formulas, etc. I like the brush, as well. It is wide and flat, kind of like the wet n wild megalast, or the sally hansen comlete salon manicure, but it doesn't taper to a point. Julep is pricier for the size of the bottles. However, for me the quality is high, and I just love getting my box of goodies. You get to pick everything in your box so no one should receive anything unwanted! You even have several free welcome boxes to choose from. If you research enough blogs and the site itself, you will find a welcome box you like. You can also skip any box after you pay for your first monthly box. So, your first welcome box is free with you paying shipping ($2.99). Then you pay $24.99 for your first box (unless you prepay for 3 months for $60.00, making each box $19.99). Once you have paid the 24.99 for your first box, you can skip as many boxes as you need to. The company listened to customer issues and complaints (customer service issues, cancellation issues) and came up with that solution. I thought it was a good one. All I can say is that I am happy being a Maven.