Juliette has a Gun Not A Perfume

3.5

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

So this was another sample in my birchbox, and got to try it on the New Year festivities, best time to test how long anything will last.
I must disclaim that even when I like many fragrances, the great majority I hate them on me, I can get very finicky. So getting a one-note fragrance, specially one that is "musky", got me nervous & not super happy; but I decided to wear it for New Year's Eve and I was pleasantly surprised. It is more of fresh smell, like many, it does remind me of D&G Light Blue (good thing), so I could see using it. It also had a good staying power on my skin, woke up today and I can still smell it on me.
But would I purchase it, probably not. I find the $100 usd price tag a little to steep for what it actually is. But I recommend others to try it, fragrance is very personal thing.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

From Sephora, I got the limited edition sampler that contains all eight fragrances from the niche French perfume house Juliette has a Gun. As an avid lover of all fragrances rose (the range has many if not mostly rose-featured scents) and all fragrances avant garde, I have been dying to try anything from this house, and this is really the only even reasonably affordable way to do it. $15 for 8 generous spray samples of these otherwise very costly scents. I plan to go through them all and write reviews on each one.

Not a Perfume, in concept, seems very much the same idea as the famous niche and blogger favorite Eccentric Molecules Molecule 01. A single-ingredient fragrance that is meant to mimic and sensuously combine with the warm musk of human skin.

While I have not tried Molecule 01, I see the appeal and this Not a Perfume is very enjoyable and interesting and is very complimentary to human skin, so I would say this "not a perfume" does its job and does its job well. And probably, if it works, Molecule 01 would do the same thing.

The thing with these single-note, human "musk": fragrances, though, is that while they allegedly smell "good" and sensual on everyone, they smell "different" on everyone, being more dependent on body chemistry than even any other type of fragrance, perfume, or body spray.

On me, this musk smells VERY similar to Elizabeth and James' Nirvana White. That fragrance supposedly has notes of peony and muguet as well as a "white" skin musk- whatever that means? But, really, all I got was a very addictive and enjoyable musk that wore close to the skin with maybe some quickly-fading florals to ever- so-subtly accent the top. So basically, I got this fragrance. And the Elizabeth and James one comes in a greater variety of sizes and is much less expensive than this or Molecule 01.

Everyone will likely have a different experience with fragrance like Not a Perfume and Eccentric Molecules 01 or any other single-note skin musk perfume that might be out there, so I do especially, probably more than any type of fragrance, stress the importance of seeing how it wears on your skin for yourself, before buying if possible. But for me, though I'd recommend, I wouldn't ever even remotely consider buying this again, not because it isn't worth it, but because something else is so similar that is nearly identical on me and my skin: Elizabeth and James Nirvana White.

Hope to also try Molecule 01 to see what effect I get and/or if it is the same or similar to these other two some day.

I truly believe this is scent that you will either love or hate because the outcome so dependent on your own body chemistry. Lucky me, my body loves Not a Perfume and it loves me right back!! It isn't a complex scent but it is interesting. It has quiet, intriguing quality that pulls you in.
I love how this develops on my skin, like it's made just for me. It feels very personal, as if your body is producing this lovely scent all on its own.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool

This is almost a dead ringer for The Body Shop's Men's White Musk and The Body Shop's fragrance is MUCH cheaper.

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

I was told by the sales guy that this brew only has ONE ingredient called cetalox, which reacts differently on different skins. I told him I can't stand anything that has musk in it and he assured me that this would only smell like my skin. HUH?
I should have researched it before I let him spray it on my arm. What "transpired" is nothing but musk and the worst part is that I have washed my arm about 4 times now and I can still smell it. Absolutely disgusting!
Oh, and they say that it only develops on the skin, so there is no point on spraying it on clothes because it won't smell like anything. It's not true! I can confirm that my coat sleeve smells like musk and it won't go away. I will have to get it dry cleaned.
Luckyscent has a thorough explanation about this "juice" and it all makes sense. Also, Juliette has a gun's website doesn't talk about this liquid turning differently on each person.
I can't believe anybody would buy this stench.
Cetalox is the synthetic ingredient that was created in the 50's to replace ambergris (some sort of digestive stuff produced by the sperm whale), which was highly priced in perfume making. Cetalox is basically musk. My skin doesn't smell anything like musk or else I'd be sick to my stomach 24/7. What a bunch of crock!

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

I REALLY love this. I love the way it develops from nothing into something.

Firstly, if you expect to be hit with a burst of interesting and exotic notes upon initial spray you will be sorely disappointed - I think this is the important thing to recognise here.

Upon intial spray you are met with a pretty non-descript generic perfumey smell which leaves you wondering what the heck the scent is actually all about; and then a minute or so later you can't detect anything at all. However, this is the magic of it; this 'perfume' is like a seed. It starts from nothing and magically develops into a beautifully clean and somewhat alluring aroma.

It may be composed of a one-note chemical but it works ingeniously to wrap itself around your skin like an aromatic mist.

This is what I call a "sheer" fragrance - it is like a secret ... "come closer and you'll find out what I'm about ..." It's definitely 'not a perfume' that will wear you. Rather, it's delicate chameleon-like aroma will unwittingly captivate the olfactory senses for hours making you feel as beautiful as you want to be.

It is difficult for me to describe this scent as I think it is different for everyone. On me it exudes as a clean amber-y fragrance with a hint of musk which I love completely.

I know this scent isn't for everyone and opinions are definitely polarized. If you're an olfactory geek where notes and composition are important then you will feel cheated by the "one-note" factor. If you are someone who likes to "Squirt and sniff" then I don't think this scent will be initially impactful enough for you to be interested in. However, if subtlety is the key for you, then I think you should give this a try.

For me, this scent is simply wonderful. I always tend to lean toward the subtle fragrances (i.e. Narcisso Rodriguez Musc Oil was similar in that you could not smell anything when initially applied).

I tried Not A Perfume a few years ago and really liked it but never actually purchased it. After testing it again recently I was swayed to buy it.

I do think the price could be slightly cheaper(but then so could a lot of other perfumes I could mention!). This does not take away from my liking of it. 5/5

This is what I've been looking for. I've finally found It. It's my signature. I get told I smell amazing at least once a day. Way more than any other scent I've ever worn. Interestingly when I tried it in the store even the salesman mentioned he'd never smelt it like that on anyone before. I think this is a one that is greatly effected by skin chemistry. On me delicious, and I mean truly delicious. On others it's maybe a non existent watery mess in a bottle with a hefty price tag. Just try it and wait about 10 minutes and you'll know. This one is ME. Search over, and thank God because its been a long one!

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Cool

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

I purchased the discovery kit from the official website in the hopes of finding a pleasant, classic and everyday fragrance. This one was a real disappointment for me for two reasons. One being that it lasted seconds on my skin, and the single note as some other reviewers have mentioned could be compared to hairspray. I certainly would not have been happy to receive or pay for a bottle of this perfume and the title certainly suits the products description...this most certainly is not what I would call a perfume. Had I tried this one first it would have easily put me off from trying the other fragrances in the line.

I absolutely adore all JHAG perfumes. This is no exception. I do agree that it is ridiculously overpriced for what it is. But the single note is just so....fabulous! I am a musk fiend and i absolutely adore this. It's a very clean, sweet musk. It is very subtle and the staying power is alright, but I just can't get enough of this. It's perfect for office-wear, but I guess in all honesty I have "similar" perfumes that are equally light, musky, sweet.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

I'm not a fragrance person but I know what I like and what smells good on me. This ambers Not A Perfume just reminds of of a cheap hair spray. I spritzed on and would sniff every once in a while. Nothing changes and I couldn't detect anything good. Normally, I like amber...just not this one.

Popular Fragrances