November 25, 2014 | 1494 users online

Fragrances - Juliette has a Gun - Not A Perfume

rated 1 of 5 on 11/19/2014 11:47:00 PM More reviews by blueoctopus

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I was told by the sales guy that this brew only has ONE ingredient called cetalox, which reacts differently on different skins. I told him I can't stand anything that has musk in it and he assured me that this would only smell like my skin. HUH?
I should have researched it before I let him spray it on my arm. What "transpired" is nothing but musk and the worst part is that I have washed my arm about 4 times now and I can still smell it. Absolutely disgusting! The good part is that because it only develops on the skin, my clothes don't stink - thankfully!
Luckyscent has a thorough explanation about this "juice" and it all makes sense. Also, juliette has a gun's website doesn't talk about this liquid turning differently on each person.
I can't believe anybody would buy this stench.
Cetalox is the synthetic ingredient that was created in the 50's to replace ambergris (some sort of kidney stone from the sperm whale), which was highly priced in perfume making. Cetalox is basically musk. My skin doesn't smell anything like musk or else I'd be sick to my stomach 24/7. What a bunch of crock!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/5/2013 10:21:00 PM More reviews by coolfreshair

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I REALLY love this. I love the way it develops from nothing into something.

Firstly, if you expect to be hit with a burst of interesting and exotic notes upon initial spray you will be sorely disappointed - I think this is the important thing to recognise here.

Upon intial spray you are met with a pretty non-descript generic perfumey smell which leaves you wondering what the heck the scent is actually all about; and then a minute or so later you can't detect anything at all. However, this is the magic of it; this 'perfume' is like a seed. It starts from nothing and magically develops into a beautifully clean and somewhat alluring aroma.

It may be composed of a one-note chemical but it works ingeniously to wrap itself around your skin like an aromatic mist.

This is what I call a "sheer" fragrance - it is like a secret ... "come closer and you'll find out what I'm about ..." It's definitely 'not a perfume' that will wear you. Rather, it's delicate chameleon-like aroma will unwittingly captivate the olfactory senses for hours making you feel as beautiful as you want to be.

It is difficult for me to describe this scent as I think it is different for everyone. On me it exudes as a clean amber-y fragrance with a hint of musk which I love completely.

I know this scent isn't for everyone and opinions are definitely polarized. If you're an olfactory geek where notes and composition are important then you will feel cheated by the "one-note" factor. If you are someone who likes to "Squirt and sniff" then I don't think this scent will be initially impactful enough for you to be interested in. However, if subtlety is the key for you, then I think you should give this a try.

For me, this scent is simply wonderful. I always tend to lean toward the subtle fragrances (i.e. Narcisso Rodriguez Musc Oil was similar in that you could not smell anything when initially applied).

I tried Not A Perfume a few years ago and really liked it but never actually purchased it. After testing it again recently I was swayed to buy it.

I do think the price could be slightly cheaper(but then so could a lot of other perfumes I could mention!). This does not take away from my liking of it. 5/5

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/7/2013 6:41:00 AM More reviews by aceybabe

This is what I've been looking for. I've finally found It. It's my signature. I get told I smell amazing at least once a day. Way more than any other scent I've ever worn. Interestingly when I tried it in the store even the salesman mentioned he'd never smelt it like that on anyone before. I think this is a one that is greatly effected by skin chemistry. On me delicious, and I mean truly delicious. On others it's maybe a non existent watery mess in a bottle with a hefty price tag. Just try it and wait about 10 minutes and you'll know. This one is ME. Search over, and thank God because its been a long one!

rated 1 of 5 on 1/28/2013 2:22:00 PM More reviews by Lovemygold2

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Cool Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I purchased the discovery kit from the official website in the hopes of finding a pleasant, classic and everyday fragrance. This one was a real disappointment for me for two reasons. One being that it lasted seconds on my skin, and the single note as some other reviewers have mentioned could be compared to hairspray. I certainly would not have been happy to receive or pay for a bottle of this perfume and the title certainly suits the products description...this most certainly is not what I would call a perfume. Had I tried this one first it would have easily put me off from trying the other fragrances in the line.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/31/2012 4:47:00 PM More reviews by GPD

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I absolutely adore all JHAG perfumes. This is no exception. I do agree that it is ridiculously overpriced for what it is. But the single note is just so....fabulous! I am a musk fiend and i absolutely adore this. It's a very clean, sweet musk. It is very subtle and the staying power is alright, but I just can't get enough of this. It's perfect for office-wear, but I guess in all honesty I have "similar" perfumes that are equally light, musky, sweet.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 7/5/2012 10:49:00 AM More reviews by Beaner

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I'm not a fragrance person but I know what I like and what smells good on me. This ambers Not A Perfume just reminds of of a cheap hair spray. I spritzed on and would sniff every once in a while. Nothing changes and I couldn't detect anything good. Normally, I like amber...just not this one.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 1/24/2012 11:19:00 AM More reviews by TaniaRides

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

"A modern day fragrance created from just one ingredient."
I haven't heard good things about this (mostly have heard that the one ingredient is a chemical-y amber and that this product is grossly overpriced), and I don't really have much good to say about it myself, though I am a fan of Juliette Has a Gun normally. The 'just one ingredient' doesn't seem creative so much as it just seems incredibly lazy, and this does smell like an unfinished perfume to me. In specific, it smells like part of Dolce & Gabbana's "Light Blue." It's hard to explain, but this is almost like a skin musk, and chemical-y and slightly powdery. It's like Light Blue without the fruit, citrus, floral, or woods notes, which just leaves a muskiness that doesn't seem right standing on its own...

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No