August 30, 2014 | 1624 users online

Eye Shadow - Estee Lauder - Five Color Eyeshadow - Topaz Mosaic

rated 5 of 5 on 2/22/2012 4:44:00 PM More reviews by aleigh313

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Although I am a huuuuugee makeup junkie and read reviews about products on a daily basis, this is actually my first review on MA. I felt compelled to write about this product simply because it is beyond stunning. I have auburn hair, brown eyes, and a warm complexion (light to light/medium skin tone), and this looks gorgeous! I was looking for a palette that didn't have cool undertones, and can be worn dressed up or down. A lot of the spring palettes are really flowery/pastel type colors (which look horrible on me), so this will easily transition from winter through summer. If you have cool undertones, I would strongly encourage you to check out some of the other EL palettes that have more cool colored blues/grays/silvers. This is a very warm palette, perfectly complementary to skin with yellow or neutral undertones. I picked up the very last one that my Nordstrom carries, so get one (or more!!) before it's gone!! 5 stars :)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/21/2012 12:48:00 AM More reviews by katrosado5

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is a limited edition five pure color eye shadow palette released by Estee Lauder for Spring 2012. Tom Pecheux is the current creative makeup director and the spring release was designed by him. The palette and the highlighter from this release work well together and appear to be well thought through as far as editing the colors and how both palette's compliment each other.

The product itself comes in a plastic gold sturdy compact. It is approx. 3 and 1/2 inches by 2 and 1/2 inches. The underside of the inner lid has a mirror that is almost the size of the lid. It comes with 2 sponge applicators and one end of an applicator is a small brush (I do not use these but I do stash them elsewhere in case there is a need for a clean sponge applicator I might have in the future). There is a very thin plastic protector for the product but I disposed of that, I don't imagine it would hold up for long if used a lot.

The cost was 45.00 at the EL website and contains .27 oz or 7.6 g.

Five Colors: (The colors are numbered on the back of the palette but not named) For reference I swatched these on my forearm which is NC 37/40 or EL DW tawny right now.

1. Metallic: Not what I call metallic, a taupe with peachy/pink undertones-- but with fine gold microglitter. Not full on glitter and I saw no fall out issues when I applied this to eye. But, it is a nude shade in my eye. Neutral. Coverage is smooth but very little color payoff.

2. Satin: Peach without being too warm and orangish. I would love to see this on a blue eyed user! Not a lot of color payoff but it's a lovely shade. Subtle. (NOTE for those with mature skin: this particular formulation of pure color ES, the satin, is wonderful for our eyelids because I find it gives me a glow without shimmer and glitter---easier on the mature eyelid).

3. Satin: Taupe. Right down the middle taupe. Not too warm not too cool. Very neutral. Has a bit of that glow we see in the satin formula so not matte. Not a heavy color payoff.

4. Satin: A browned berry shade. Which to be honest surprised me but it does work with this palette. Nice rich color payoff. I use this in crease or I wet it and use it as eyeliner for a softer eyeline daytime.

5. Satin: Yellow. Not gold, not bronzy yellow. Full on yellow. Fun. I use this as a small dot of color over the center lid (above the iris) and blend it out. It gives a golden pearly luminous color there but not full on yellow. (Which I would love to see this on a blue eyed user!).

My opinon: This is a neutral palette. It can be worn by both cool and warm toned users. But it's a neutral palette, and nothing is a stand out must have---if I don't have this I will die---color.

I, personally, love it. But I have to be honest and say that if you have a few palettes that are neutral already you can bypass this one. Out of this entire collection I would say the only thing that is a must have is the highlighter. (Note for mature skin: this really works well for us with mature skin for a subtle daytime look but swatch at the counter because it's very subtle with the exception of the plum brown color).

Hope this review helps :-)

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No