October 23, 2014 | 1749 users online

Powders - Edward Bess - Quad Royale in South of France

rated 5 of 5 on 12/27/2013 3:32:00 AM More reviews by Mannie1125

This is my HG face powder. I don't use it as a blush much, but an all over face powder. I use a big fluffy and soft Sonia kashuk powder brush, and lightly swirl all the colors onto the brush and sweep it across like setting powder. It doesn't look glittery or too shimmery, and it doesn't look pink on me. My skintone is right between the darkest of the light end, and lighter of the medium end, with strong yellow undertone (I'm white, but I color match best to the yellow tones typical to Asian skintones). I feel this powder's color does a good job of cutting down my sallowness.

I've been using it daily for about 3 months and you can hardly tell I've made a dent in it... so it is expensive for what it is, but because it lasts sooo long in the pan, and provides such great "lit from within" effect, I feel it is very worth the price.

I love how it feels on the skin. It just kind of melts into the skin, doesn't sit there and transfer like most powders, especially finishing powders.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/13/2013 4:44:00 AM More reviews by UrrUrr

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Oh I love this quad! The flush of pink it provides is perfect and very long lasting on me. It doesn't appear glittery (despite the tiny silver micro glitter that exists in all the shades) nor does it emphasise pores. It gives an elegant, refined glow that is very suitable for daytime/office makeup. I use all the colours together as blush and the top 2 colours to highlight so this is a pretty versatile palette. (I'm NC15) When I used the bottom and darker 2 colours as blush alone, the blush became too dark for me as it looked too mauve and unnatural for my skintone. It's probably due to the pigmentation of the darkest shade (bottom left of the quad), which swatches mauve-pink on me.

The only bone I have to pick with it is the powder kickback. I've used it a few times and the mirror is already powdery. Every time I swirl my blush brush (gently!) over it, powder flies everywhere -_-. However, this is not a major drawback for me so I did not deduct any lippy.

This might not show up on darker complexions as blush. Although the instructions say that it can be used for "allover, luminous colour" I don't think I want to try that as it is too shimmery - I prefer to use it as a blush. (Hourglass Ambient Powders might be a better choice for allover luminosity...) Overall, this blush is nice and could suit a wide range of undertones as it is quite a neutral pink (but leaning towards the cool side) when blended together. Probably those ladies with a medium skintone might wanna try the other 2 quads, Monte Carlo or Summer in Capri :) I think I'm gonna get them all eventually, I haven't been using any of my blushes anymore since I've gotten this, it's *that* awesome.

rated 2 of 5 on 7/23/2012 6:32:00 PM More reviews by planetnars

SOUTH OF FRANCE looks stunning in the compact. It is quite large and I fell in love the first time I laid my eyes upon it. The love affair ended quickly. The brush is scratchy and cheap quality. The texture is not chalky but I expected a much smoother feel. There is a wagon of glitter which causes it to look very unatural. The packaging looks nice but its lightweight plastic and not sturdy.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/19/2012 3:17:00 PM More reviews by Sophia1105

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

Very sheer, subtle, beigey-mauve. Definitely more of a glow than a shimmer and needs to be built up for a glow, which then means more beigey-mauve coloring over whatever area I'm using, so then I'll go heavier on my blush beneath as it tones and cools down the color ever so slightly. I had hoped it was a heavier type of powder but it wears very light, reminds me of my LM brightening powder in weight. Most highlighters I own have a heavier feel and aren't as finely milled as this powder. I work as a nurse and want to look good (healthy) under the horrific fluorescent lighting without looking like I'm made-up (unprofessional), this does it but takes some work and layering. I pair with my LMdB Creme Fresh in Poppy and it's a good match (though expensive for a work look). I ordered the pink tan one (Summer in Capri) and may get Monte Carlo, just because this takes a little too much layering, though the final effect is very pretty (x3 layers to get an effect). It's too sheer and lightweight to use as a lid shade/highlight, which I was also hoping for. I have to recalibrate my makeup expectations when using EB as I'm not used to seeing myself so natural after using makeup. The clasp on mine is broken and takes some fussing to open.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/14/2012 11:47:00 PM More reviews by bellyhead

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is a very pretty blush/highlighter. The other reviewer's description of the color as being mauvy is right on. This color is better suited for the paler among us as the color is very lightly pigmented. The shimmer is pretty subdued but does give a very slight glow to the skin. At the counter, the SA recommends swirling all the shades onto the brush and then applying the product in a 3-shape -- on the sides of the forehead, onto the tops of cheeks and then down and around onto the sides of the chin. I prefer to use the two darker tones as a blush and the lighter (and shimmerier) shades on top of the cheekbones to highlight rather than swirling all the colors together.

I'm fairly tanned from a recent holiday, so I need a lot of this on for the colors to really show. There are a couple of negatives to the product, in my opinion. The product is very powdery, so as you are picking up the powder with your brush, you will notice a lot of loose powder that is displaced into the air and into the sides of the pan. The enclosed brush is rough and scratchy. The compact is very lightweight plastic. like all the new product coming out from this line.

I hate to be such a packaging lunatic, but I think my own attraction to the line is cooling off based on the downgrade in packaging.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/19/2012 11:05:00 PM More reviews by MaryEllen

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Medium Eyes: Blue

I'm in love. Finally, a multi-purpose product that lives up to the claims! I've seen this described as "beigy-pink" and "shimmery mauve." I think it's closer to the latter--definitely a cool mauve going on, but with the ultra-refined shimmer (it looked great on my 50+ skin--luminous, not shiny) Edward Bess is known for (OK, excepting the shadows in the Back to Basics Palette). I'm awful at describing shades, so I'm going to quote Sabrina from the Beauty Look Book (who also has fabulous photos):

Upper row: subtle golden pink-beige, soft cream beige-peach shimmer.
Lower row: soft darker nude pink, soft nude pink.

Each shade is gorgeous, and are equally beautiful together.

Today I used the upper row on my eyes--the golden pink-beige as a base, the cream beige-peach on the lid, which provided subtle highlighting and contouring and, best of all, did not make me look tired or give me a rabbit-eyed look. Then I swirled my NARS Yachiyo brush over all four colors (I thought it might look more like a highlighter than a blush, so I was prepared to use another blush shade). To my surprise and delight, it produces a beautiful, subtle mauve blush with a built-in highlighter. Amazing. I was glowing from one tiny palette. Can it get much easier than this?

About the palette. It's in a very sturdy, slim EB case that has a huge mirror in the lid. It's accompanied by a nice quality wide, slender brush that's quite soft, and would probably be best for a light allover application. The product seems to have an overspray, which I gently brushed off before using it. It's slightly less shimmery when that's gone. The powder is slightly soft, so there is a bit of fallout after using a brush on it, but it stood up to being knocked around in my purse all day. And the key word about this product is *subtle.* What worked for my C20-25 skin will not work for everyone, and you're not going to get a lot of depth from any of these shades. But if you're looking for a palette that's imaginative, of exceptional quality (both the product and the packaging), can wear cool tones, are fairly pale, and like a subtle look, by all means treat yourself to this. It's pricey at $45, but given the quality and results, it's a deal. This palette is absolutely lovely - a real winner from Edward Bess.

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No