August 27, 2014 | 1742 users online

Polishes - Revlon - Colorstay in Bare Bones

rated 1 of 5 on 7/29/2013 11:10:00 PM More reviews by Cindy76

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Love the color, hate the formula. It's runny and it chips and wears off within one day.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/16/2013 8:01:00 PM More reviews by aznmnkygrl808

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I strayed away from this line of nail polish only because I had a bad experience with another shade In the past. (Forgot the name; it was a navy blue color. I hated the formula because I found it too thick and goopy). I thought this shade was gorgeous so I decided to pick it up anyways. I love it!! Color reminds me of Essie's sand tropez except this polish is more of a khaki beige yellow tone whereas "sand tropez" is more of a khaki beige with a gray undertone. Formula was a bit runny and two coats made this color opaque. This polish lasted for about 5 days but that is because of my awesome 2 coats of seche vite. This color is very neutral yet classy and polished. Definitely would repurchase!! :)

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/26/2013 7:16:00 PM More reviews by mochaholic

I like the color, but I am not a fan of the formula. Nice neutral color that reminds me of beige khaki pants and I've gotten a few compliments when I wear it. I think the formula is a little hard to work with. It takes me abt 3 coats to get decent coverage, and still requires a top coat to even out the surface. Despite being called "Colorstay", I don't think this wears any longer than other nail polishes (I did wear bc and tc, but not the one from their line). For regular price, it is not worth it, but if you like the color and if it's on super sale, then sure.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/8/2013 1:27:00 PM More reviews by swatters

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I love the brush on the Revlon Colorstay Polishes. It's wide and rounded, which makes getting verrrry close to your cuticle super easy.

This was a neutral color that looked a lot like khaki on my nails. It's a pretty neutral for the office or day-to-day wear.
Took about 3 coats for full opacity.

I didn't dislike it, but it would not be something I would buy again.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/3/2013 4:54:00 PM More reviews by jesssala

This is a beautiful neutral for my olive skin. Works great if you tend to wear silver jewelry. It looks so great on me that I usually buy two bottles because I noticed that it tends to sell out!

I use Essie's "Rock solid" as the base coat, then two coats of the "Bare Bones" color. It does take some time to dry so I recommence letting the first coat dry completely, then do the second coat and let that completely also. I top it off with "Out the Door" by inm which seals in the gloss. I wait about 5 minutes and then I run my nails under freezing cold water. This hardens up the polish.

This usually last me a good 7 days before I see chips. The other Colorstay colors I use are "Rich Raspberry," "Stormy Night," and "Natural Tan." They all look beautiful and I get quite a few compliments on the polish - this is a great nail enamel!

I don't really care what the packaging looks like, I'm all for simplicity. Besides, I just want a great product. If it's wonderful could not care less what the bottle looks like.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/18/2012 10:29:00 PM More reviews by stella0r

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I have been looking for this color for so long! The brush is amazing, application is great - opaque in 2-3 coats. And staying power is amazing too! Minimal fading and chipping after the 6th day (with base and top coat, although I use The Face Shop's) just in time for me to change polishes. The price is just right. Love this with all my heart!

rated 4 of 5 on 8/22/2012 1:22:00 AM More reviews by ganchi

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This is a really lovely nude color that goes great with my skintone. I love the color in the bottle and I love the color on my nails. It's not really all that unique though, and I bet I could find a dupe because...

This polish stinks! It literally smells like goat cheese. Revlon ColorStay polish takes forever to completely dry (I've seen people say they got dents after 48 hours!) so the smell just lingers and lingers.

I went out to a concert tonight and was self-conscious the whole time about the smell of my nails. I don't know if I might have just gotten a rancid bottle, but... wow. This polish will really have to last a long time for me to consider wearing it again any time soon.

EDIT: Turns out, it was the base coat that smelled so bad. The thing though, is that the base and top coat really do make polishes last forever without chipping, so it's worth it.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/29/2012 2:20:00 AM More reviews by Nailpoleon

I bought this nail polish because the colour looked perfect. I adore nude and not so bold but opaque nail colours. The problem was that it never dried. It dried on the top, but it didn't harden and dents could be made at the slightest touch and the polish could be scraped off with no difficulty. The colour was really nice.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/5/2012 7:58:00 PM More reviews by ashleyanders

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

Product's Claims - True or False?
1) Up to 11 days of wear: N/A
2) Gel-like shine/Gloss: True
3) Excellent colour retention: True

Packaging:
While I really like the practicality of the packaging, it looks and feels fairly cheap. It also looks a bit awkward. The cap is almost the length of my pinky and thumb, definitely the longest cap for a nail polish that I've ever seen or used. The length does give it an upper hand over other polishes, as it makes opening the bottle much easier compared to stubbier caps. It's made of a plain black plastic, which does not hinder the ease of opening the bottle. The bottle itself is a cylinder shape, so it's comfortable to hold in the hand while opening. The brush consists of two slim brushes placed together, which spreads the polish over the nail quite nicely and easily. It is similar in shape to the Rimmel Lasting Finish Pro brushes, only shorter and not as wide.The bottle lists all the ingredients, and the name of the polish is on the top of the cap.

Formula:
Bare Bones is a very pretty beige-y khaki greyish shade. It's a solid cream consistency. I'm able to get opaque coverage in two coats and it goes on very smoothly, although it's ever so slightly thicker than I'd like (fixed with a drop of thinner) which can sometimes result in minor application flaws - they are not visible enough to bother me when they occur. It has great flow and smooths over the nail easily (pre-thinning) and does not dry thick on the nail. Dry-time depends on the base and top coat used, but with my preferred top coat I find that it dries within a few minutes and hardens within 10-20 minutes. Alone it has a nice glossy finish and the gloss remains when using your preferred top coat.

Wear:
I'm currently on day 4 of wear and aside from some barely visible tip wear on my dominant hand it looks quite nice. Gloss is still high, it hasn't chipped, but there is a bit of growth. It looks pretty much the same as it did on day 2, so I assume that I could probably go a full week before changing it up due to tip wear.

Bang for Your Buck:
I paid about $8.00CAD for this 11.7ml bottle. While it seems relatively affordable, the amount given is less than many other drug store and mid-range brands, so overall the price is not necessarily that much different than pricier DS polishes or mid-range polishes.

Final Thoughts:
I've not come across a similar shade in other similarly-priced brands or other brands I know and enjoy. This is a very pretty shade and the quality is great. I definitely recommend it to others and recommend the line as a whole! I have a feeling it will better suit warmer complexions though, so be sure to swatch if possible.
* Overall Rating: 4.5/5
* Price: 2/5
* Packaging Quality: 3/5
* Repurchase: Yes

rated 4 of 5 on 1/24/2012 11:28:00 PM More reviews by tstyner

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I bought the top coat, base coat and the polish in bare bones. The color is a very nice true beige color- no pink or mauve tones. The formula is thick and It takes some time for the whole nail to dry, so i did get a small smudge. The brush is weird and kind of large, but it is workable. As for using the whole system, so far so good. The color has been on my nails for 4 days and I have had no chipping, flaking, or peeling. There is some very minor tip wear. I did some house cleaning with no gloves and it held up great. Since I already have the top and base coats, I am sure I will buy another color. I got mine at CVS and they were kind of pricey for ds- $8, I think-but they had a bogo, so it wasn't too outrageous.