December 18, 2014 | 1674 users online

Sunscreen - Cancer Council of Australia - Clear Zinc Day Wear Face Sunscreen

rated 2 of 5 on 10/9/2012 11:00:00 PM More reviews by fendidonna

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

What she said! It STINKS! Fragrance at 2%? OMG that is totally unacceptable for a face product nd exactly what I was afraid of. What is the point of making a product with 20% zinc oxide for "sensitive" skins whe you pump it up with the world's #1 most common skin care irritant...at double the recommended maximum dose (by standards of any professional formulator).

This sunscreen made my skin BURN - which I assume is due to the 2% fragrance. And when I say burn, I mean sting, eyes watering down my face and scabs forming the next day. I put the 1 teaspoon over face, ears, neck required to achieve spf30, that's all.

The cancer council in Australia does great work, but they need to make better sunscreens and educate their staff better. I went in asking for a high UVA protection cream due to sun-allergy/intolerance and was told "anything over spf30 is OK". WTF? SPF doesn't measure UVA, it measures UVB! Worse, the assistant was not so friendly when I corrected her :-)

And why no ingredients list on he boxes? And why no UVA rating in this, of all countries, anyway (comment applied to many Australian sunscreens not just this one)?

Gets 2 stars for being better than exposing naked skin to sun.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/12/2012 8:25:00 AM More reviews by luckylouie

This is a new product from the Cancer Council of Australia. They now have three facial sunscreeens, two chemical (one with tint and one without) and now this with 20% micronised zinc oxide. The full name of the product is Day Wear Light Feel Face Sunscreen Plus Clear Zinc, a bit of a mouthful.
The Good - This is without a doubt the lightest zinc oxide sunscreen I have ever come across. It is easy to apply, stays put fairly well and it is fairly easy to remove at the end of the day. There is virtually no white cast.
The Bad - it does tend to sweat off in hot weather. When you sweat you will notice some whiteness on the skin where it runs. You really cannot wear this if you perspire heavily. On the package it does say that this product is not water resistant, but it comes off too easily with perspiration for me to feel comfortable with its level of protection. There appear to be no added antioxidants on any skin conditioning ingredients, which is a pity because the two chemical facial sunscreens have added aloe vera gel and vitamin e.
The Ugly - It stinks!!! It has a very strong fake chemical citrusy smell that lasts for a good 2-3 hours. This has me really pissed off because the other Cancer Council physical sunscreens have virtually no smell, so why does this one absolutely stink? I have emailed the Cancer Council about this but not heard back from them so far.
Overall verdict - if you can put up with the smell this is an excellent product. I suggest using it with a light dusting of mineral foundation on top as this will minimise sweating and the white cast that it gets when you sweat heavily. If you perspire really heavily, just blot and carry a pressed powder mineral foundation with you to touch up any areas where it might have sweated off. Even though it is fairly easy to remove, please do remove it with an oil based cleanser and face cloth at the end of the day. Otherwise you're just asking for blocked pores and breakouts. Cost is $16.95 for a 75 ml tube which makes it around the same price as Olay SPF 30. The Chemist Warehouse has it for about $13.95 instead.
Edit - The Cancer Council finally got back to me regarding the fragrance level. It has 2% fragrance which is more than twice as much as their other two facial sunscreens. The tinted one has just under 1% fragrance, and the untinted one contains 0.4% fragrance. Very very disappointing that this has such a high fragrance level. While I understand that fragranced products sell better than unfragranced this is still a ridiculous amount of fragrance to use just to try and disguise the slightly metallic, chalky smell of the zinc oxide. It is highly unlikely that I will rebuy this simply because of the fragrance level, and if I do, I will probably mix it 50/50 with the Cancer Councils Toddler sunblock which contains only titanium dioxide (and no added fragrance). Zinc oxide covers a wider range of the uva/uvb spectrum and I really want the benefits of some zinc oxide but just not the fragrance that accompanies this product.