Burberry No. 22 Pale Barley

4.5

on 4/20/2015 5:04:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

What can I say that hasn't already been said besides that this is super wearable. I love is on my "nude" days with some black liner and red lipstick.

on 2/19/2015 8:49:00 PM

This review is for Burberry Sheer Eye shadow in Pale Barley. Burberry eye shadows are very high quality - smooth and buildable formulas that give you a lot of control in applying and blending. I have tried several and really wanted this shade to work for me. I agree that it's a complex shade - a warm burnished taupe with and a great neutral! Unfortunately, I think it will only work for someone who has no wrinkles on their lids as it does make these more noticeable. I tried it with a couple of different types of primer. I do like a shadow with a very slight sheen, but the finish for this shade is too shiny and metallic, at least for me.

on 10/14/2014 7:29:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Straight, Other

Have lemmed this eyeshadow for an unnecessarily long time til finally the planets aligned and ithe magnetic pull of the earth brought it to me😉 Seriously it is gorgeous and unique, buttery and luxurious. Don't know what to say that hasn't been said about it already. It needs to take center stage on your eyes, it is the spoiled only child that does not play well with others. It looks best and truely shines when you let it stand alone with only a little smudged liner and mascara. Such an easy breezy little gem, it has quickly become my favorite eyeshadow.

on 8/26/2014 3:14:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

This is my first Burberry eyeshadow and because it's so beautiful and well, perfect I expect to buy more. Very pricey for an eyeshadow but the quality is top notch. The packaging is very rich, elegant and heavy. I really can't add more than the other reviewers wrote-it's all the truth, this shadow is like butta! I am a NW20 and this looks pretty with my coloring. The only con is the price.

on 4/4/2014 5:19:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hmmm so many different takes on this colour from reviewers. I see a soft burnished gold, not bright or brassy, softened by a neutral chocolate undertone. Has a little shimmer but it is definitely not frost, making it perfect for bringing light to the lid. I have recessed eyes but shades that are too light just create a washout next to my medium blue eyes. I have not even begun to exploit the versatility of this one since I know it will mix with everything I have. Burberry sets the standard for creamy, easy to blend shadows and just a little will do. No fallout and long lasting. Their shadows are intense in the pan but you can get a wash of colour very easily or build up to more of a statement without compromising the silky natural finish. In fact the product is so spectacularly formulated that you can do the job of a make up artist in no time. I pair this with Burberry Midnight brown with a smidge of Nars New York (a burgundy) in the outer corner and Bobbi Brown liner in hunter green. The package is weighty and elegant and of course all of this costs you a bundle but it is worth it.

on 2/24/2014 10:04:00 AM

This is what any eyeshadow should be (for me anyway) : smooth, well pigmented, elegantly shimmery, understated yet amazingly enhancing, and easy to blend (so that you do not need to spend twenty minutes on your eye-makeup).
Actually, finding such eyeshadows is not easy : so far, I've only be truly satisfied with two brands : Bobbi Brown (not all colours though), and Burberry.

With Pale Barley, as with Rosewood, my "smokey nude" eye takes very little work (I have never been into mixing multiple colours) : prime, then wash lid with aforementioned Burberry shadow (one or two swipes will suffice), line and soften along the lashline with Bobbi Brown Mahogany matte es. Job done. Oh yes, and add mascara.

No fallout, no patchiness, no greasiness (Inglot pearl.... grrr) : just a quiet high-achiever of an eyeshadow.

on 2/1/2014 11:25:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

This is such a beautiful shade for every day. It's a pale shimmery brown with golden sheen. Absolutely stunning! The quality is outstanding, from the texture of the shadow to the luxe packaging. Well worth the pricetag. I would love for Burberry to come out with more, similarly complex wash shades...I will patiently wait.

on 1/2/2014 1:48:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Curly, Medium

If you like complex neutrals, definitely give the Burberry eye shadows a try. Pale Barley is finely milled and the shimmer is subtle and sophisticated. I like this shade so much because the golden wheat brown color can be worn on its own but also looks great paired with other neutrals, especially darker browns. The only negative that I can think of is that there is a great deal of fall out when I apply this shadow. There isn't fall out or transfer once the eyeshadow is actually on the eyelid, but it gets everywhere while I am applying it.

on 12/28/2012 6:31:00 PM

The quality of this product is fantastic, but I am not loving the color. It is very frosty taupe. This is more of a preference than a criticism of the product.

on 10/24/2012 5:47:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

If ever there was a cool toned gold, this is it. It's one of those colors that must be worn to be appreciated because in the pan it looks like any other mid-tone, shimmery brown. But once applied it's softer than one would think and in certain lights looks like a gleaming version of skin tone. Like when you see someone on television or a movie with that beautiful eyelid color but you can't quite figure out if it's shadow or cream highlighter over bare flesh. I love the subtlety of the shimmer, which actually reads as a sheen more than light reflecting particles of a traditional shimmer shadow. Like Rosewood, this has a burnished, faintly metallic gleam that feels unique to the brand. A patina of sorts. I'm not one to wear a brown all over my lid but I make the exception with this one because it's so beautifully understated. Despite the gold undertone (which is definitely not the starring quality here) it works really well with my very pale, cool toned skin. Anyone looking for an amazing color for a daytime smokey eye should try this out.

I love Rosewood much more than this one, as far as browns within this line go, but this is something I wear often and enjoy. I use it with other neutrals for a subtle look but I've also paired it with violets and midnight blues and it looks great with everything. The quality wins me over as much as the color does. It's soft, dense, and very pigmented so it's not difficult to get perfect color in the first go, though it's buildable if you want something more intense. Like others have mentioned, this is a large pan of product so it'll take me awhile to go through it, even if I used it everyday. The packaging is very secure with a magnetic closure and an interior mirror. The polished metal finish shows fingerprints though. I don't think this is the be all end all of shadows but it's gorgeous and I do recommend it.

Top Rated Burberry Products