April 17, 2014 | 1931 users online

Liquid - By Terry - Cover Expert Perfecting Fluid Foundation

rated 3 of 5 on 4/11/2014 7:22:00 PM More reviews by AcidCandy

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I had been lemming over this foundation for a very long time, as I was curious to try something from the highly acclaimed By Terry range. I bought the shade no. 7 which is a near enough match for my NC25 skin. My skin is combination and littered with hyper pigmentation from old acne so there is a lot of work to be done to conceal. Despite its name, I find the foundation not to conceal enough - infact I would call it quite sheer! Please bear in mind that I use my Real Techniques sponge to apply this. I have tried it with fingers and I just can't get over the streaks this method leaves behind. I have yet to try it with a foundation brush... One thing I really appreciate from this foundation is its texture. When applied with a sponge it is smooth and not at all cakey - especially compared to the Nars Sheer Glow that I normally use day to day. A final note - the packaging is sleek and glossy but prone to leaking. Before I had even used the product it was already leaking into the screw cap. So make sure to store it upside down to avoid any waste.

rated 2 of 5 on 3/6/2014 4:01:00 AM More reviews by ktemly

I really wanted to love this foundation after reading mostly rave reviews and the fact that it cost me $90 AUD which to me is super expensive for a foundation.
In a nutshell, there is pretty much nothing I liked about it. I absolutely HATED the smell! To the point that I had to clean my foundation and powder brushes twice to get it out. I'm usually not too fussed by the smell of a foundation, so it goes to show how strong it was.
I also found the shades to be blah. I was matched to a 9 in store and thought it made me look a little weird....not natural.
Also, the packaging looks SO cheap for a foundation that costs so damn much!!
The coverage wasn't bad, I'd say a medium, but it definitely didn't last too long
On my combo skin...my Nars sheer glow performs 100 times better.
This is the first cosmetic item I've ever returned.

rated 1 of 5 on 3/2/2014 4:55:00 PM More reviews by lemonz4us

I had really high hopes for this foundation. But i was let down
I came home at the end of the day with 4 new spots that I didn't have before. Boo for breaking me out, but I'm kind of relieved because an expensive lemming has been squashed
It didn't apply very well, and didn't look as natural as some of my other foundations tbh, and the color match was off. Shade 7 , the color I chose was way too golden for me . My face and neck looked jaundiced compared to my body .
I do prefer yellow foundation but of a cooler (icy yellow) nature.
This smelled like roses, not fake roses either, the earth where you dig up the rose from. Very grassy.
A no-go for me
Sorry

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/16/2014 10:43:00 PM More reviews by samuellewis

I also blame Ruth Crilly aka amodelrecommends for this!! It is A MAZING! I was really sceptical based on the odd non rave review in contrast with the raves but i'm another raver! If you like GLOWY, slightly dewey but non shiny, greasy looking skin, light thin texture but fantastic coverage without cakeyness (who doesn't) then this is the HG of foundations with Luminous Silk coming close second but for only £9 more this wins because it's definitely £9 better too. I absolutely love this foundation it's flawless skin in a bottle. If you wanted to matte it up then just set it with a matifying powder, personally i adore the finish. As a boy its crucial have the 'no makeup' makeup look and this gives it! Seamless, i apply it with a stippling brush and buff it in. I got shade 11 as i'm pretty tanned and it doesnt oxidize or go orange and it photographs incredibly :-) can't recommend this enough x

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/8/2014 6:09:00 AM More reviews by ammit1984

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

If Ruth Crilly ever reads this review, I'd like her to know that it's entirely HER fault that I'm £44 down in my bank account.
I purchased this in my latest Space NK haul, I saw Ruths reviews on the two new foundations from By Terry (sheer expert was the other) and it sorta swung me. I nearly ended up with NARS Sheer Glow because I love the NARS concealer and TM so so damn much, but the SA in Space NK said to go for this instead so I did.

I am shade 2 and i'm fairly pale and neutral toned, it fits perfectly although if I tan in the summer it may not (oh well, i'll just buy sheer expert i guess, what a shame). Ruth was exactly right when she described this foundation as "cushiony" - it really is! It feels like spreading l liquid velvety cushion on my skin, but not in a pure silicone way (not sure if there are any in this product, i expect so).
I'm famously bad at blending things out with my fingers but this is absolutely fine for me to blend out, I actually prefer to use my fingers with this one. You don't need a lot, and as many people have said, this isn't full coverage in the sense that it'll cover anything, it's just a heavier coverage foundation. I'd maybe say medium to heavy but buildable.

I don't find that this product ever makes my skin look bad if I apply it right, it hasn't broken me out either. It's a pleasure to use, and given the price so it should be. It covers a multitude of sins but it won't cover absolutely everything, you'll still need concealer.

The product comes in a tube with a screw cap, i've seen reports of it leaking but that hasn't happened to me yet, pump would be better but it's quite a thick consistency so not sure how well that would work. This is travel friendly though and I entirely would travel with it!

Other things of note: I have combo skin and this doesn't make me oily, it's also pretty moisturising.
This is a dreamy foundation, if you need a new one then this is a worthy contender for sure! Test it out in store first though, I did and i'm not sorry. Well, my bank balance is because i want sheer expert now. :-(

rated 3 of 5 on 12/24/2013 12:10:00 PM More reviews by chingchingcat

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I tried both cover expert and densiliss. I like the latter more.

I use shade #3 for cover expert and #2 for densiliss. I bought them separately and I was advised by different beauty assistants. And finally I find out that #2 matches my skin tone more.

Comparing both foundation, cover expert provides lower coverage and less moisturizing.

Perhaps I will use this in summer if my densiliss foundation is too heavy by the time. But I really dislike the shade #3 effect on my face.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/25/2013 5:56:00 AM More reviews by shanikagun

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

honestly this took me a couple of tries to figure out how to make it look good and using my fingers was what i found worked best.this isnt fulllll coverage but its good coverage and is natural as hell!!!honestly i think it covers and camouflages with your skin to match PERFECTLY.i have an indian tan so its very hard to find a colour that matches and i had just recently bought Estee Lauder Double wear full coverage in spiced sand and that has too much of an orange tinge and also it looked too much like a mask and not very natural.
i would definetely recommend this with concealer if you have ugly black scars like i do (i use clinique even better concealer:also a new find) and some sheer finishing powder.Its pricy but worth it because its such a good quality foundation, invest in this at least for special occasions :)
only con is however, it leaks!the packaging is crap because idk how but the product seems to leak into the lid and you dont want to waste this product coz it does burn a fair hole in your wallet so something done ti fix that issue will ensure a 5 star product

rated 5 of 5 on 11/21/2013 5:00:00 AM More reviews by Jennie91

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

HG.
This is the best foundation I have EVER tried. I have dry, prone to flaking skin (prone to bouts of dermatitis), BUT my T-Zone gets oily. I have been searching for so long for something with light-medium coverage that controls oil while also not flaking on my dry patches. Lancome Teint Miracle gave me dermatitis; Chanel Vitalumiere went oily on my T-Zone and cracked on my dry patches (and the lightest shade was too dark); Laura Mercier tinted moisturiser became too shiny and patchy during the day; Nars Sheer Glow was drying, and Nars Pure Radiant gave me clogged pores.
Then I tried By Terry Sheer Expert and LOVED it. Sheer, glowy, not drying - and the feel of it on skin! But as time went on I started to get greedy - I wanted a bit more coverage, and possibly a bit more oil control (Sheer Expert's lovely 'glow' does turn to shine on me after a while) while still looking natural. I was worried that Cover Expert would look cakey or be drying due to its heavier nature.
But I was wrong! The Cover Expert feels just as incredibly light and fluffy (seriously, all foundations feel so…foundation-y after these!), controls the oiliness better - I set with a light dusting of powder, then don't have to powder my nose again for about 6 hours), doesn't drag on my dry patches, and stays put so well. And the finish - well this is the most important thing for me. Cover Expert gives medium coverage, DEFINITELy not full, so the one negative I suppose is that the name is misleading - however, this is the exact level of coverage that I want, enough to cover slight discolouring and fading spots. For active spots a concealer is still necessary. But this just looks like NOTHING on skin. Even with a magnifying mirror, my skin just looks evened out and glowy - without shine. Magic.
I am shade 9 in summer (a very warm yellow/orange for my NC30 summer skin) and at the moment am about NC20 and using shade 7. I am wondering whether to try shade 3 (the next lightest yellow-toned shade that would work on me) as the 7 is a touch dark for me, although you can't really tell as this stuff blends so well.
The only (very) minor things to consider are: silicones (this is stuffed with them) and the rose smell, if you're sensitive to scents.
If not, and you're not looking for full coverage - BUY THIS! I think I will stick with this over Sheer Expert in the future, as it gives basically the same finish, but with less shine and a touch more coverage.
PS just remembered two other negative - THE PRICE, dear lord the price. I wish so much By Terry would reduce it slightly, as I do run through this quickly with daily use - a tube lasts me less than half a year. And the other - the packaging. Leaks into the cap, which is pretty painful to watch given how expensive it is. However with my new tube this doesn't appear to be happening so far…fingers crossed By Terry has changed the packaging; will update!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/31/2013 7:20:00 AM More reviews by Laski

After having been quite enthusiastic about the "Sheer Expert"-Foundation, I got my hands on a sample of the "Cover Expert" as soon as I could. And I like it a lot too! It manages to deliver exactly what it say on the package: "flawless velvet radiance". It evens out my skintone perfectly and still doesn´t look like a mask. It mattifies slightly, but without taking any of the radiance of a healthy complexion away. And the best thing is: those effects are pretty longlasting! Although I do have to touch up my makeup during the day (mostly depending on what moisturizer I wear underneath, with some the mattifying effect lasts quite long, with others not so), it looks really appealing and very even all through the day, except maybe on my nose (which gets most touch-up-attention). Great foundation, I think I will buy this and the Sheer expert as soon as I emptied two others in my stack.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/17/2013 1:27:00 AM More reviews by hautevita

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Brown

honestly. best foundation ever....from coverage, shade, color to packaging.

smell: it smells so nice, not in a fake overpowering cheap way,the smell is calming. and surprisingly im not itchy or 'wanting to touch my face' due to the added fragrance (?)

coverage/feel/texture: medium coverage, glides on so smooth, probably wont cover dark dark scars but def did cover redness, old scars etc. made my skin look so flawless yet natural (which is rare). the feeling was not drying, i have dehydrated skin and this did not make me peel or taut, very comfortable foundation. most foundations for dry skin are way too heavy/thick/and it just 'sits' on the skin, this doesn't. not only does it make my skin feel comfortable it is not thick feeling. texture is smooth and luxurious. dior nude made me itchy and did not cover as well as this. GA lsf hate the smell, felt thick, oily, oxidized. By terry wins hands down. only other competitor may be Koh Gen Doh? waiting for samples from KGD to compare.

shade: honestly, 7,8,9 all work for me. 7 and 9 are more yellow based, 8 more neutral but you CANNOT go wrong with the 3. of course, 7 being the lightest. 7 would be good for winter, 8 for spring?, 9 for summer? haha for refernece: i am GA lsf 6, 5.75, 6.5.

Packaging: heres to why the packaging is great despite what others say here...I LOVE tube packaging. why? a) easy for travel b) discrete [i do not like my boyfriend to see foundations in clear glass bottles, something about it] c) wont break d) at least it isnt in a jar! hygienic e) can control amount coming, pumps can be unpredictable...and you cannot get all of it out..f) CUT IT IN HALF! and use it all up!

honestly, this is awseome, please give it a try and i really hope by terry does not discontinue this EVER