October 1, 2014 | 1124 users online

Primer/ Corrector - Almay - Smart Shade Perfect & Correct Primer

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/27/2014 3:00:00 AM More reviews by larosedechanel

I was excited to try this corrector/primer I'm always interested in things that help cut down on my makeup routine or application time in the morning. Finding a product that corrects skin tone & increases the wear of foundation was a dream because I have redness & oily skin.

Perfect & Correct Primer is a gel primer with a green stripe that corrects redness & a lavender one that evens out & brightens your skin tone. It is lightweight & non-oily or greasy, but I don't think it did a great job at priming my (sometimes very) oily skin or increasing the wear time of my makeup. Like most primers, it creates a nice, smoother base for makeup application. It just didn't stay on. I agree with another reviewer: this could be a good primer for normal or dry skin but not great for my oily skin … after 2 hours my skin looks very oily, shiny, & the foundation kind of floats on top.

I don't wear it alone—I wear it underneath foundation & in 3 or 4 hours, I'm greasy mess. This is good for tone correction & brightening, but not nearly as good of a makeup primer. "96% of women agreed that using this primer helped increase the wear of makeup." I'm the 4%. Also, as many of people have already commented, this smells like death. I've been wondering what's in it, that's how terrible it smells.

On a better note, this was specifically formulated for sensitive skin & it didn't irritate my skin or cause breakouts. It was $12 though so I'm definitely going to mess with it & force myself to finish it… even if I have to wear it alone for the perfecting/correcting benefits. It's not the best, but it gets the job done. This isn't a BAD product; it simply didn't work as well as I'd hoped & I just feel there are better ones. As of right now, I'm not impressed & won't be repurchasing.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/9/2014 10:47:00 AM More reviews by tswope57

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is a hard product for me to review, since it didn't really add anything for me, nor detract. I think it did make the pores in my t-zone area appear smaller, but my finishing powder does that also and my pores are small and not that big of a concern to me. I was really hoping it would minimize the small lines around my eyes more for the concealer application, but it doesn't do that for me. So basically, it may work for someone else - but not for me. It didn't make me more oily or less oily - it didn't break me out, or anything like that. It just added an extra step that I didn't need since I already use powder which does the pore minimizing thing. I will keep searching for another primer that might work around the eye area....but I'm thinking botox is probably the only thing that truly works miracles!

rated 1 of 5 on 6/22/2014 9:13:00 PM More reviews by nicolemorales

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I am prone to breaking out and this product broke me out like no other. Do not let the fancy aesthetic deceive you. This was a waste and the product was far from cheap. However, it does not have the awful smell that has been mentioned by other reviewers. But by all means, avoid this product!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 6/9/2014 9:44:00 PM More reviews by guitarheroine91

WHY didn't I read the reviews?! What a waste. This didn't prime, it didn't moisturize, and it didn't correct my redness, which has been an ongoing issue for me since I was young. Horrible product. I've tried two things from Almay and both were horrible. I hate to be a downer, I usually have at least one good thing to say about products but this was just awful. Avoiding Almay at all costs.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/22/2014 11:36:00 PM More reviews by Ellam77

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

This product does exactly what it's supposed to, and it's the only colour correcting product I've used that noticeably neutralises redness. I agree that the smell's unpleasant but you only have to tolerate if until it sinks in/dries so I don't see that as being a big issue.

rated 2 of 5 on 5/17/2014 12:47:00 AM More reviews by SophiaSopapilla

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

The smell, ugh.

Not sure that it helped my makeup's longevity much. The texture is smooth, it dries on the skin a little after a few minutes. Makeup goes on about the same as with my normal primer.

I thought I could get over the smell. After two uses, I'm really not sure. The smell is awful. Someone said rotting leaves and that is pretty accurate to me.

I want to keep using it because it is a decent primer but I've used it twice and the smell is really putting me off. I bought two bottles, I will likely finish this one and take the other back.

rated 1 of 5 on 4/20/2014 11:11:00 AM More reviews by Ta2dqt21

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

Not impressed. For the brand, I expected more, but the texture and scent of this product are deal-breakers for me. I found no added benefit for my foundation or face and even experienced a bit of irritation after removing the product from my sensitive skin. The rancid smell does not dissipate after the product dries, the texture is more slimy than smooth, and my foundation did not last any longer with this primer underneath. To their credit, Almay was kind enough to provide this product in a clear pump style bottle, but that is the only positive I can muster up for this primer. Waste of time and money; There are better options out there.

rated 2 of 5 on 3/18/2014 7:18:00 PM More reviews by Megzimo

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

When I bought this primer I thought it would help brighten and reduce the redness on my skin. It did absolutely nothing! When I smoothed it over my skin it seemed to just go clear, it didn't really help with the longevity of my makeup either. Not to mention the burning sensation when applied to my face. I figured if I didn't like it then I should let someone else give it a try because my skin is pretty sensitive and I didn't want to waste it, so I let my friend try it at my house. Her face was hot and red and she said it burned too, we had to wash it off almost immediately. Definitely regret buying this and would not recommend.

rated 1 of 5 on 2/26/2014 10:38:00 PM More reviews by lola444

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

This primer does not work for me. It does not correct or perfect at all. As I have a combination/ oily skin, the product does not do anything to help it. And its so watery that seems like I haven't put anything on, but just make my skin more oily and not correcting my skin color. plus it has a terrible smell!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/25/2014 7:47:00 PM More reviews by Jenyfyr

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I've been using this for about a year now and love it. This is the first and only primer I've ever used so I'm sure that are better ones out there, but I definitely feel it does what it says it'll do (even tone & reduce redness). I don't find it has a smell to it at all and it seems to dry quickly and absolutely helps my foundation last through the day. I feel the price is reasonable, especially since a bottle seems to last a long time (I use one "pump" pretty much every day of the week when I get ready in the morning) and I like that it's an readily available in a wide variety of stores so it's easy to replace when I run out. Oh, and most importantly, it doesn't clog my pores or irritate my sensitive skin. I will absolutely repurchase!