Almay Smart Shade Perfect & Correct Primer

2.3

Water, Glycerin, Pentylene Glycol, Neopentyl Glycol Diheptanoate, Dimethicone, Isopropyl N-Lauroyl Sarcosinate, Niacinamide, Panthenol, Tocopherol Acetate, Sea Salt, Montmorillonite, Squalane, Silica, Cetyl Alcohol, Stearyl Alcohol, Behenyl Alcohol, Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Polymethyl Methacrylate, PEG-100 Stearate, Dimethiconol, Cetearyl Alcohol, Cetearyl Glucoside, Polyacrylamide, C13-14 Isoparaffin, Laureth-7, Silica Dimethyl Silylate, Carbomer, Sodium Hydroxide, Glyceryl Acrylate/Acrylic Acid Copolymer, Calcium Aluminium Borosilicate, Sodium Hyaluronate, Silica, Butylene Glycol, Hexylene Glycol, Disodium EDTA, Ethylhexylglycerin, Potassium Sorbate, Phenoxyethanol, Caprylyl Glycol, CI 77891/Titanium Dioxide, CI 77491/CI 77492/CI 77499/Iron Oxides, CI 77007/Ultramarines, CI 42090/Blue 1, CI 19140/Yellow 5, CI 77288/Chromium Oxide Greens

I like this product well enough. I have the palest skin ever with pink undertones that are always extreme apparent and obvious. I decided to try out a skin evening primer and picked this up. It works pretty well in eliminating the red in my skin! Even in the gross fluorescent lights at school that always make me look super red. I use this under a BB creme and I'm good to go for the entire day. I would definitely buy it again.

on 3/26/2015 9:01:00 AM

I bought this because i thought the green and purple swirl looked cute in the bottle. MISTAKE!

When i tried it the primer itself was actually dark green and purple! The colour and consistency reminded me of slimy mould. It gave my face a blue tinge which i managed to cover up with my foundation thank goodness.

I honestly cant imagine this product would be good for anyone. Even if you had red marks i think the green is too dark to balance anything, it just turns your face blue.

I'm going to throw this out, I would not recommend this to ANYONE!!

on 1/19/2015 7:59:00 PM

This does nothing. Usually am not picky about smells, but it smells nasty. I got over this and tried it for two weeks. I got the e.l.f. primer for half the price I paid for this one, and it is a thousand times better already. I just threw out 3/4 of a bottle with no regrets.

on 1/6/2015 11:26:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

OMG, I thought I was alone with the rank smell of this stuff, or maybe I got a bad batch. But it's completely disgusting, it actually makes me feel nauseated. I find this does offer good color correction for redness, or maybe my face looks less red because I feel sick. Who knows. Either way, this goes in the bin.

on 12/30/2014 3:07:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

I bought this on sale, having never tried an Almay product before. I'm really fussy about primers, i always always swatch and check that it makes a difference to my skin. This one applied beautifully when I swatched it on my hand in the shop and the packaging is super cute. I like it, but I probably wouldn't buy it again. I work really long days and really need a primer to help my makeup stay and this does that, but it has a smell I dislike (although I don't feel as strongly about it as some other reviewers, I can only smell it when I apply the product around my nose) and it's nowhere near as lovely as my Napoleon Perdis primer. The colouring also doesn't do the same job of correcting redness as a green corrector. I have mild redness on my cheeks, and in spots around my under eye area, and they look the same after I put this primer on.

Overall, it's a decent primer but quite expensive for what you get especially if you don't buy it on sale, and doesn't colour correct redness as a green concealer does (I recommend Maybelline's Coverstick for that)

Yuck! This primer went on blue and stayed blue on my fair skin! It was awful. I wanted to like it as the texture was nice but when the color didn't change from the bottle to my face, It was a deal breaker. I returned the product to my local drug store and picked up the Rimmel stay matte primer. I love it.

on 11/12/2014 2:11:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

I really wanted to love this primer.

I bought it after eyeing it for a long time on the shelf at my local Shoppers Drug Mart. I was attracted to it because I thought it might allow me to skip the green concealer. Therefore, I convinced myself it was worth the overpriced $14.99 CAD tag. Having dry, red skin that make up flakes off of, I thought this was a fool proof choice.

Oy. How wrong I was.

1. ) IT LITERALLY SMELLS DISGUSTING. I have powered through many products with less than pleasant smells - ELF's make up setting spray comes to mind. Often with questionably scented make up, you don't even smell it after its been applied. NOT THIS STUFF. ITS OVER POWERING, AND VAGUELY REMINISCENT OF A GARBAGE DUMPSTER/ROTTING YARD WASTE. Does that even make sense? No. But it is true. I dunno what the hell is in this stuff, but it's awful.

2.) A "gel" primer? The texture is less gel, more watery and slime-like. It did nothing for moisturizing my skin. It did however make my face shiny and slick like I'd just been leaning over a vat of oil. Not cute. Not cute at all.

3.) As far as I can tell after using a whole bottle, it does nothing to make my make up last longer. In fact, it pretty much totally sinks in to my skin after a few hours.

The only reason this product gets two lippies is because I've found that mixing a tiny bit (and I mean A REALLY REALLY SMALL AMOUNT) with my liquid foundation before applying it tints it with the cooler undertones that are really hard for my to find for my pale-as-a-ghost complexion. Over all strongly disappointed, I would not recommend this to anyone.

Skin: Oily, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

I was excited to try this corrector/primer I'm always interested in things that help cut down on my makeup routine or application time in the morning. Finding a product that corrects skin tone & increases the wear of foundation was a dream because I have redness & oily skin.

Perfect & Correct Primer is a gel primer with a green stripe that corrects redness & a lavender one that evens out & brightens your skin tone. It is lightweight & non-oily or greasy, but I don't think it did a great job at priming my (sometimes very) oily skin or increasing the wear time of my makeup. Like most primers, it creates a nice, smoother base for makeup application. It just didn't stay on. I agree with another reviewer: this could be a good primer for normal or dry skin but not great for my oily skin … after 2 hours my skin looks very oily, shiny, & the foundation kind of floats on top.

I don't wear it alone—I wear it underneath foundation & in 3 or 4 hours, I'm greasy mess. This is good for tone correction & brightening, but not nearly as good of a makeup primer. "96% of women agreed that using this primer helped increase the wear of makeup." I'm the 4%. Also, as many of people have already commented, this smells like death. I've been wondering what's in it, that's how terrible it smells.

On a better note, this was specifically formulated for sensitive skin & it didn't irritate my skin or cause breakouts. It was $12 though so I'm definitely going to mess with it & force myself to finish it… even if I have to wear it alone for the perfecting/correcting benefits. It's not the best, but it gets the job done. This isn't a BAD product; it simply didn't work as well as I'd hoped & I just feel there are better ones. As of right now, I'm not impressed & won't be repurchasing.

on 8/9/2014 10:47:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

This is a hard product for me to review, since it didn't really add anything for me, nor detract. I think it did make the pores in my t-zone area appear smaller, but my finishing powder does that also and my pores are small and not that big of a concern to me. I was really hoping it would minimize the small lines around my eyes more for the concealer application, but it doesn't do that for me. So basically, it may work for someone else - but not for me. It didn't make me more oily or less oily - it didn't break me out, or anything like that. It just added an extra step that I didn't need since I already use powder which does the pore minimizing thing. I will keep searching for another primer that might work around the eye area....but I'm thinking botox is probably the only thing that truly works miracles!

I am prone to breaking out and this product broke me out like no other. Do not let the fancy aesthetic deceive you. This was a waste and the product was far from cheap. However, it does not have the awful smell that has been mentioned by other reviewers. But by all means, avoid this product!

Popular Primer/ Correctors