L'Oreal Voluminous Smoldering Eyeliner

3.3

on 2/6/2015 7:37:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Ughh. What I love about this eyeliner is how smoldering and sultry it makes my eye makeup look. It glides on in a way that doesn't give me a straight black line, but a jagged, messier application which I love. It's also great for tight lining too. BUT this stuff smudges and transfer like crazy regardless of a primer or if I set it with a shadow. I never have a problem with smudged liner but this stuff gives me raccoon eyes within an hour. I was too lazy to return it but I'll figure out how to make use of it

on 11/27/2014 12:56:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I bought the grey colour which is pretty dark - looks basically black on me. Overall, this didn't wow me.. The pros: it does go on really nice and smooth, it smudges great. The colour is nice and has a wee bit of sparkle/shimmer (not sure about any other colours?). I like the idea of the chubby pencil and it comes with a really good sharpener. The con(s): it just doesn't last. I realise this was not advertised as long-wearing or waterproof, but I never really have problems with makeup not staying and I never feel like I have to buy specific products to ensure lasting power. This stuff just vanishes into thin air! Aside from that, I noticed that it kinda migrates away from my lash line onto my lid in little clumps? I have to re-smudge it during the day. So far I have only used this as a cheap-ish daytime/casual/work eyeliner. Someone suggested setting it with an eyeshadow which I imagine would be good, but honestly I have better eyeliners that I save for my evening and going out looks! L'Oreal usually is my go-to drugstore brand for eye products but not this time!

on 9/19/2014 4:46:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

I bought this just for the hell of it. I got Brown instead of Black on accident, but it proved to be a fantastic choice! It goes on smooth but is darkly dramatic, and it lasts a decent while. The brown is a lovely compliment to my blue-green eyes. I'd buy this again.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I read some reviews and after trying it myself I think people are expecting too much. It's basically a chubby kohl pencil that doesn't drag across your eye. Think of 90's smudged liner or as a base to create a dark smokey eye. It's not meant to be applied to the waterline or be long lasting (and it doesn't claim to be). Nowhere on the packaging does it say it's waterproof or smudge proof, just intensely black. If you want to set it with eyeshadow then it will last longer.

Skin: Oily, Medium Brown, Not Sure

I really want to love this product but its hard :/ It applies so easy on my waterline because of the creamy texture and its very black!! But within an hour, it fades and wears off. It gets under my eyes & looks terrible. Sometimes i apply black eyeshadow on top which helps it last a little longer but regardless it will smear eventually. If u have makeup remover & time to reapply then i guess that works lol. Again it looks really nice but the lasting power is meh

on 7/9/2014 2:37:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

So I bought this in the color grey and initially was very pleased with my purchase. the formula was smooth and the color was very smokey without being sue dark which was what i was looking for. Ufirtunately this product smears throughout the day especially on the waterline, by the end of the day i would look like a raccoon which is not cute.

The lasting power is not there, and in the winter time the formula changed completely. It was the oddest thing I have seen when it comes to beauty products. From november to april the formula was very stiff, which you might think would at least maek this product stay in place but nope it still bled. Now that we are in the summer months the formula is back to its creamy state. It is just wierd I will be trashing this and looking for a better alternative.

Skin: Oily, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

I have Voluminous Smoldering Eyeliner in Black; other colours include Brown & Grey. It costs $9 at Ulta, but it's on sale for $5. Like it advertises, it does glide easily & the black colour is very intense. If you're new to wearing makeup or just someone who has a little trouble applying eyeliner, I think this is a good starting one because it's creamy & easy to apply. This particular pencil is good whether you like simple thin lines or dramatic thick ones. I like using it to create thin lines & wearing it on my waterline… unfortunately, & I'm not sure if it's my oily/very oily skin, but I find that this just doesn't last long on my eyes. It fades throughout the day, smudges, & runs. Having to stop & reapply makeup is such a big pet peeve of mine—I don't like makeup that doesn't wear long. I'm on my second pencil & nothing I do can seem to make it last, so even though this is one of the best products for clean & super-pigmented lines, I won't be buying another one. If you don't have oily lids, you should check it out though!

Update: I've now read that people with normal skin are also saying that the staying power is no good, so maybe it's not my skin type; I guess it's just the creamy formula

on 4/25/2014 3:39:00 PM

Skin: Other, Medium, Warm

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

Comes with a great sharpener! Nice dark brown, but wish it came in a lighter brown as well for daytime. Goes on nicely, and a fine line stays put for hours. However, a thick line ends up looking like eyes shadow pretty quickly.

on 4/12/2014 11:49:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I love the size of the pencil. It looks really good as soon as you apply it. I like the price. You get a lot of product for the price. I dislike the staying power. After a few hours this eyeliner is completely gone. It has 0 staying power and for that I won't buy it again

on 4/12/2014 2:47:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm

Hair: Brown, Straight, Coarse

Oops! I lost this eyeliner! Just kidding, I threw it away. Yes, this is very black. Yes, you can smoke this out. But what's the point when you can't wear this on a night out without having it smear all over your face?