As I Am - Coconut CoWash Cleansing Conditioner

4.3

Aqueous (Water, Aqua Purificada, Purified) Extracts: Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) and Citrus Reticulata (Tangerine)¹, Cetyl Alcohol², Cetrimonium Chloride, Cetearyl Alcohol², PEG-40 Castor Oil, Stearlkonium chloride, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil², Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil¹, Phytosterols¹, Serenoa Serrulata Fruit Extract¹, Quaternium-18, Potassium Sorbate, Fragrance/Parfum, Limonene, Methylisothiazolinone.

on 9/3/2015 2:15:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

I have long thin dry 2c/3a curly hair. I only wash my hair twice a week and rinse with water once a week since my hair is prone to breakage and split ends. I bought this product because I thought it would moisturize my hair more than my regular shampoo and I ket hearing that it has great slip, which would prevent excessive stretching and damage to the hair shaft while washing. I began to use it twice a week and massaged it through the roots just as the tub instructed to do. I do admit that it smells nice and it does clean the hair well. For me, a little too well. I actually noticed after the first time I used it that my hair felt more dry than normal, even after I used my conditioner. So for me it didn't moisturize at all. I could have used suave and gotten the same results. It didnt even have good slip for me. I had to use way too much of it to make my fingers run through hair and I've never had that problem before. My hair may be dry but it rarely tangles like this. I kept using it for 3 months to give it a fair chance and nothing changed. My hair stayed more dry than normal so much so that my hair dresser asked me what I had done to my hair!
I know there's great reviews and I'm sure that it works wonderful for some people but not for my type of hair.

on 8/31/2015 12:57:00 AM

So far really liking this cowash. Prior to this I have just used Wen in Fig in the past, which I did like too but of course I started looking for a cheaper alternative and found this at Sally's on sale for $6.99. I read all the rave reviews so I was excited to try it.

After not washing my hair 5 days prior it was finally time. My hair was gross and oily at that point so I was kind of worried this would make my hair feel greasy or unclean but luckily that wasn't the case.

I am caucasian and naturally have straight fine hair prior to bleaching. The past year I have bleached my hair to get it basically white so I could put pastel dyes in it. To go from dark brown to this white, lots of damage occurred along the way, especially last time I lightened it which was about a month ago. My hair is now thick (hair shaft swollen from the bleach) and it's super dry, unruly and very prone to breakage especially when wet. Finally I put regular shampoo away and switched to cowashing and its helped a lot. It was a last ditch effort before just shaving my head and starting new again.

After washing my hair with this, its left incredibly soft again and has helped make the dry damaged frizzy parts look and feel healthy again. I do use a leave in protein conditioner after that is free of silicones to help add more moisture and protection to my hair but I could easily comb my hair out after using just this and it's not in a gummy mess as it was before. After one wash I could notice a difference in my hair and I wasn't in tears watching it (and hearing it) snap off as I tried to blow dry it (my bad hair vice.) Now I just can't keep my hands out of my hair because it's left so soft. It's no longer crunchy - it's soundless and sooo soft! I am left with a little less volume than the Wen but I'll take this softness and moisture any day!

I like the coconut scent and am so glad it doesn't have menthol in it (which I didn't like about Wen.) I just wish it came in a bottle instead of a tub but I am thinking I might just go to Sally's and look if there is a bottle I can transfer it into... otherwise emptying one of my old shampoo bottles I no longer use will do the trick.

Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Not Sure

This product is like heaven in a jar. This is suitable for all hair types but it's like a savor for those with drier hair. It makes your hair feel squeaky clean without stripling it (putting most shampoos to shame) The consistency is super creamy with a ton of slip. It's a multipurpose product that cleanses, moisturizes and detangles all in once. I always follow up with a conditioner but it isn't really necessary. Did I mention how amazing it smells?! It definitely lives up to its name. Coconut is right. I apply it to my hair like a perm applying it to roots of my hair and massaging it in. This is totally different than just using a regularl conditioner to cleanse. As I mentioned before your hair will be left squeaky clean. My only con with this product is the packaging I would have preferred a squeeze bottle or pump(the jar can be a bit messy).But that isn't a deal breaker for me. I just dispense the jar into bottles with a pump to make it easier. No matter where i put it it always seem to drop and product splatters all over the place. You get so much product with this jar and a little goes a long way. I've been using this over 2 years and will continue.

on 7/17/2015 6:08:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

Being as it is my first co wash I cannot compare it to anything really. But I do think it does a good job. It cleanses my moderately dirty hair. It moisturizes it also. I would buy it again, but I want to also try different co-washes.

My hair is fine, 2A, chest length - but I have a LOT of hair.

I color using permanent color (Garnier Nutrisse) with root touch-up every six weeks. Because my hair is neither straight nor wavy, I straighten it using a flatiron. Prior to trying cowash cleansing conditioners, I'd shampoo & condition (rinse out conditioner) my hair once a week.

I became interested in cowash conditioners when I realized it might be my use of shampoo that was contributing to my hair issues by drying it out. Although my hair always looked great the day I shampooed/straightened, all I had to do was sleep on it one night and the next day, my hair would be quite frizzy and "bent" from about the level of my ears down to the ends. That would require me to pull out my flatiron again, which of course dried out my hair further. (When you stop and think about it, you might realize the "problems" you have with your hair, that are forcing you to use different products and appliances to "correct," are actually CAUSED by the products and appliances you've been using to correct them).

After doing quite a bit of research on cowashing, I decided to try As I Am Coconut CoWash Cleansing Conditioner. Following the advice I found on a forum, I applied the product to my damp hair, then proceeded to VIGOROUSLY massage the product into my scalp, roots, and length for a full five minutes. (Five minutes is a long time; I set the timer on my cell phone to ensure I wasn't short-changing the process). When I didn't do the five minute vigorous massage, my hair was greasy after rinsing and drying.

One important bit of information I learned in my research is the molecules in cowash conditioners are too large to enter the hair shaft straight out of the bottle (or, in this case, jar). By vigorously massaging the product for a full five minutes, you break down those molecules, allowing them to get inside the hair shaft and lift out the dirt and oils. As a matter of fact, I noticed the texture of the product changes while you're massaging it - changing from the slick, slippery feel of a conditioner to more of a foam (not like a shampoo-type foam, but close).

After my five-minute massage, I rinsed using warm water (thoroughly!), then poured a mixture of 2 Tbls, apple cider vinegar diluted in two cups water over my hair, and rinsed again.

End result? Once dried and straightened, my hair looked and felt JUST AS CLEAN as if I had used shampoo.

I have continued to use the As I Am Coconut CoWash Cleansing Conditioner instead of shampoo, following my once-a-week washing schedule. I do NOT find my hair gets oily sooner using this product than when I use shampoo. I have found my hair is not as dry and doesn't need as much touch-up with the flatiron between washings as when I used shampoo, but this isn't a miracle fix. Hair is dead, after all. I'll have to wait until all the damaged length grows out and is cut off before my hair behaves the way I want it to between washings.

For those of you who are having issues with the jar packaging, just use a spoon to scoop the amount of product you need into a plastic disposable cup prior to hopping in the shower. That way you won't have to worry about wet, slippery hands dropping the open jar!

on 5/22/2015 12:39:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This is my absolute favorite thing to wash my hair with! I will never ever use anything else on my very fine, straight hair that is this horrible combination of really greasy roots and horribly dry ends that like to snap and break off if you look at them wrong! I also ombre my hair this bright red color from Splat so my hair is not only naturally dry but now it's even more dry from being chemically processed. I wash with this cleansing conditioner twice every week at max and use a shower cap and dry shampoo for the days in between. When I wash my hair I lather this up twice and make sure that any gunk is washed away. Afterwards my hair is so soft, detangled and shiny. On top of this my hair is completely clean with little to absolutely no residue. This cleansing conditioner is very thick and spreads through my hair wonderfully unlike most cleansing conditioners that tend to be very thin. Everyone seems to have a problem with the packaging but I love it! A tube is prone for more product to be squeezed out when traveling & isn't very sturdy while a pump is very prone to squirting out the product while traveling as well. This tub is actually really sturdy and I can see exactly how much product is left. I just twist the cap off and leave it on my shower caddy while the actual jar stays on the rims of my tub that are actually pretty large. The packaging also makes this great to travel with! It ensures none spills. After a few uses I do use Dr. Bronner's Lavendar Castille Soap as a clarifier when my hair feels a little gunky from the cleansing conditioner since it's all organic and has no sls or any derivatives. All in all this is such a great product that isn't just for curly hair!

on 3/9/2015 10:20:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

While I don't think this product is too expensive, I think it's a bit costly if you go through this conditioner quickly. I have a lot of thick, long hair so this went by fast. I'm latina with coarse, dry, 2a/2b hair. This co-wash is rich enough to moisturize my length. As for my scalp, I was impressed at how clean and detangled my roots felt. Most shampoos create horrible knots near my roots. The only downside is my hair needs to be washed more frequently - since it's very moisturizing. But the scent is wonderful. I'm not a big fan of the packaging since it can get messy in the shower.

on 2/3/2015 9:14:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Other, Fine

I have tried quite a few co washes and this is by far my favorite. I love how clean my hair is but not stripped or heavy. Works like a dream,
The only thing I don't like about this is the tub. I have dropped a tub on the bathroom floor which makes a big mess. Would rather a tube or pump.

Otherwise HG

on 1/5/2015 1:07:00 AM

I have been using this product now for three weeks. In these three weeks I have seen my hair go from completely awful to absolutely amazing!

For starters, my hair is extremely difficult to deal with -- frizzy, damaged, bleached, kinky, etc. -- and it NEVER grows. But after reading the great reviews on this product, I immediately went out and bought it and got a small trim (impulsive, I know). After I trimmed my hair, I began using it pretty regularly, about every other wash as an overnight leave-in treatment. A little more than a week after I started using this, my hair had grown over an inch and looked full and healthy -- my hair usually takes two months to grow an inch, so having grown that in a week has been a miracle.

I will continue to use this product. It is relatively cheep, readily available, and so what if the packaging isn't most convenient?? My hair likes it, which means that I love it.

Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse

Finding a product like this is why I love Makeup Alley - this product is a life-changer! I have curly/coily mixed hair (3C?) that I am trying to grow out in as healthy a way as possible. I started co-washing more than a year ago, but with different products that were good, but didn't make my hair and scalp feel clean. This product somehow makes my hair feel incredibly clean (as much as a clarifying shampoo would), while also making it soft and moisturized. I'm amazed. I have zero complaints. I like the smell (yum, coconuts), and love the texture of it since it's so easy to get it through my hair without using a lot of product. I don't even mind the packaging. Although a pump would be nice, with a tub I can use every last tiny bit of product. I just never hold the tub in my hands in the shower! (I step out and run it through my hair so I don't drop the tub). I am so in love with this product it's crazy.