April 17, 2014 | 1925 users online

Conditioner - As I Am - Coconut CoWash Cleansing Conditioner

rated 5 of 5 on 4/4/2014 12:36:00 PM More reviews by iSassay

LOVE this stuff. Just wish it came is a squeeze or pump bottle. Other than that, my hair feels healthy now that I use this.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/3/2014 8:49:00 AM More reviews by HeyItsCat

Love this stuff. I am a CG girl. I just don't like the packaging. It needs to come in a pump bottle.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/5/2014 11:40:00 PM More reviews by irawesome

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I have 3b-3c, coarse, mixed hair. I have been using this cowash for 4 months now and it is my HG.

I use it daily after getting sweaty and nasty with my workouts and this cowash cleans my hair very well while still keeping it moisturized and not drying it out. It feels like a rich cream, it doesn't lather and it smells faintly of coconut oil and orange.

It comes in a tin, which isn't the most convenient packaging, but it's a great price and one tin lasts me about 3-4 weeks.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/11/2014 10:29:00 PM More reviews by finch96

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

For reference: I have moderately coarse, 2c-3a/b curls, coils, and waves. I follow a modified Curly Girl routine, meaning I use a sulfate free shampoo about once a month if I feel it's needed, and I will use products with water-soluble silicones in them on occasion, although I really tend to avoid silicones altogether. I have been CG for almost 3 years now. I have no idea if my hair is porous or not, but I do know that it hates protein. On with the review....

I've gone through I have no idea how many tubs of this stuff since I discovered it last year. Holy mother of holy grail products, Batman, this stuff ROCKS. It is CHEAP (around $6 a tub, depending on if it's on sale or if you have a Sally's card), it's READILY AVAILABLE, it's protein free (hallelujah), it smells good, and it WORKS.

If you're reading this review, no doubt you've already gotten the lowdown on the texture and smell of the stuff: sort of a slightly runny pudding texture, smells like, well, coconuts. Not a fantastic Hawaiian Tropic tanning oil coconut smell (which is the best ever, I don't care what you say), but pretty darned good. No nasty plastic-y smell that some coconut scented products have (hate that). The texture is runny, and the product comes in a tub (BOO), so you have to scoop it out by the palmful and slop it on your head and make sure it doesn't run down your neck. Slightly challenging in the shower, to say the very least. I sort of scoop out a palmful and hold it there on my head while replacing the lid with the other hand (I'm really good at multitasking, what can I say). This works pretty well to keep the blob on my hair where I want it until it's time to scrub.

I use this just like a shampoo, meaning I put it on my hair and rub it around (gently), and make sure to scrub it into my scalp to get the scalp clean. Then I rake it through my hair with my fingers, and finally rinse. I follow with a rinse out conditioner and then a leave in conditioner (my hair is dry as a desert). This method is enough to remove layers of styling product and not leave any build up, while still leaving my hair and scalp moisturized.

The ONLY complaint I have about this product is obviously the packaging. I would do a happy dance if they put it in a bottle with a pump or a squeeze tube. Or, if it really bothers you enough, just buy an empty pump bottle at Sally's and dump it in there yourself. Either way you choose to go, this product is worth the hassle.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/3/2014 12:33:00 AM More reviews by armaclin041584

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is my hg co-washing product. It cleanses my scalp and hair well, while keeping it moisturized. I love the scent. The container last me around 2 months and I find this product to be affordable and available locally and via internet. I also love that it is silicone free...my curls love silicone free moisturizing products.

My only complaint is the packaging; I would prefer the product in a squeeze container. Even a pump would be better than twisting a lid on a huge jar in the shower while trying to keep water from getting inside of the container.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/16/2013 9:48:00 PM More reviews by Anya1976

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I have bought this a few times. I really like it. It gets my hair clean. I usually detangle with this on my hair, I tend to take my time when I am cleansing. I have been doing a slightly modified curly girl for a couple years. I use regular shampoo on my roots once or twice a month (as long as they don't contain silicones). I have medium length 2b hair. Since I started CG my hair has been less frizzy and I love it.
I do like the scent of this cowash. it doesn't linger since I use a rinse out conditioner after this.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/16/2013 9:30:00 PM More reviews by MeggieBeth

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I used to use Devacurl No-Poo, but it got too expensive. After using some other things for a while, mostly sulfate free shampoos and a few different conditioners, my hair was tired, especially at the ends. It was also starting to break and when you're trying to grow it out, the last thing you want is a big handful of fall-out in the shower. I was about to go back to Deva but read some reviews on this and figured I'd give it a try. It's been over two weeks and I still get excited to use this. My ends are SO much better, my natural curls have more definition and shine, and my scalp feels clean every time. It also has a nice "foaming" quality. It doesn't lather, obviously, but it also isn't so thick you can't work with it. I've also noticed less fall out (it really was a lot, much more than regular shedding). I only wish it came with a pump or had one available to purchase. That really would make this better so I didn't worry about getting water in the jar or having to stick my fingers in it for more scoops. It works wonderfully with their leave in conditioner and my gel (Kinky Curly Curling Custard) and you can also get it at Walmart or Target, so finding it isn't difficult.

PROS:
Does what it say, cleans and moisturizes.
Comparatively inexpensive (especially against Deva product which average $19.00 a pop)
Works well with other products
Can be purchased at local stores
Detangles

CONS:
Jar packaging

If things change I will update this post, but for now I'm impressed.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 11/20/2013 10:55:00 PM More reviews by RustGospel

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

Ugh, ugh, ugh. I still cringe whenever I think about how this product made my hair feel even though I haven't had it in my possession for quite some time now. I wound up giving my Coconut CoWash away because it left my hair feeling awful. It was horribly dry after using this and nearly impossible to detangle, even with my heaviest of conditioners. I nearly panicked in the shower feeling my brush seize up in my hair and hearing that dreaded distinct "snap, crackle, pop" of my strands as I attempted to detangle them. Though the Cowash left my scalp feeling wonderfully clean each time I used it, it always left my curls a matted nightmare.
My hair's reaction to the Coconut CoWash was much the way it reacts to plain old coconut oil. I've read that coconut oil reinforces the protein in your hair and that, while this is wonderful for some, it's not so much for those of us that have enough protein on our own. Coconut oil seems to make our hair TOO strong. Therefore, it then becomes hard and dry. Sort of like a protein overdose. I believe some people call this phenomenon being "protein sensitive".
This might seem like a given to some but I had never even considered the possibility that because As I Am's Coconut CoWash obviously has coconut oil in it, my hair would react this way. I regularly use other products that feature coconut oil as a main ingredient (Shea Moisture's Coconut & Hibiscus line, for example) without any issues at all. Needless to say, if your hair and coconut oil are mortal enemies, this product may not be for you.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/19/2013 4:32:00 AM More reviews by hellokittyfan1974

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Love this product! Hate the packaging! This is a great Co-washing product for the price. It leaves my curls clean, moisturized and detangled. I hate the "scooping out" aspect of this container. I don't know why they just did not put it in a regular bottle with a pump or a squeeze tube.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/6/2013 1:21:00 PM More reviews by MsPsylocke

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I wanted to try this since I had read such good reviews on this, it's true it is an excellent product. I have really long, thick,curly if my hair is short but still pretty wavy almost a curl with it at my waist. It get's super frizzy and I can never have enough moisture so I thought this would be a good product to try. So I got it at Sally's for around 7$ and I love it! I used it after I coloured my hair after I rinsed the colour out I put about 3 scoops or enough to coat all my hair then threw it into a bun. I then do my regular shower stuff scrub, shave,etc,..Then before it is time to get out I take my hair out and use a wide tooth comb or the Wet Brush. I was able to comb my hair with no issue and when I rinsed it felt really nice not squeaky clean but clean and moisturized. It has great slip as well!

Once it was toweled dry I sprayed some One N Only argan spray and put it in a braid. When I took my hair out it was so soft,shiny,smooth, and didn't need any extra products like argan oil etc,. I love it the curls are defined and look so pretty and my hair is soft,smooth, and feels so good! I love this stuff and can't wait for my nephew to try it as he is biracial and his hair has these amazing curls that I know this product will just make better and less frizz. I will definitely be repurchasing for myself and boyfriend who loves easy hair products and for my nephew because for a 3 year old it's perfect for him and my sister;)

If you're in Sally's definitely give this product a shot they have a great return policy if you don't like it. The only thing I wish like others have said I wish it wasn't in a jar. For me it's not a deal breaker though. For me personally I think this is way better than Wen on my hair. I usually use One N Only Argan shampoo & conditioner but this is a great alternative. It does just as well as my argan products. This is a very good product and is worth a go for sure if you want more defined curls with less frizz. You also cut back on the extra products to get the curls you want. So to me it's a winner.:) Definitely Recommended!