October 2, 2014 | 927 users online

Gels/Soaps - Aveeno - Baby Cleansing Therapy Moisturizing Wash

rated 5 of 5 on 10/29/2013 11:39:00 PM More reviews by LeananSidhe

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Curly, Fine Eyes: Blue

This has worked great for me as both a body wash and a face wash. When my skin started itching uncontrollably I looked for a body wash with no fragrance and dyes. This is the first one I tried and I plan on sticking with it. This plus a daily body brushing regimen just before my shower has left my skin soft, supple, and itch-free. Love it!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 8/22/2013 12:33:00 AM More reviews by slidingdoors

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

My facial skin is combination, sensitive, oily on the t-zone yet dehydrated all over, prone to get milia and sebaceous hyperplasia on my forehead, and does not seem to be very happy with most modern products (especially in the last few years). A new development this summer is perioral dermatitis (a red, pimply sort of rash around the laugh lines) which started when I was trying out a new product a couple of months ago, and which mainly has gone away now, but every once in a while it will faintly re-appear.

Unfortunately, I am now in the position of needing to find a new face wash/cleanser.

For several years, I've been using EO tea tree and peppermint hand soap as a face wash, and while that sounds like it would be harsh, it was the gentlest thing that I could find, and I've tried a lot of products in both the US and the UK. I wouldn't have moved from it, except that the last 2 bottles I've bought (both bought this summer) have seemed to be much harsher than the previous 10 bottles I had bought over the years, and I just can't keep using the contents of the new bottles on my face -- the formula even makes my hands feel rough and dry, which is weird. I could tell that the new bottles were stronger/less gentle in the first couple of days of using them, and I hoped that my skin would adjust, but it didn't.

To recover, for the past couple of weeks, I've had to wash with only a facecloth and warm water, sometimes with a tiny rub of a clear glycerin bar soap (which also is too harsh for my skin) if there is something on my face that requires more than water and friction to clean off. I've never in my life used just water to wash my face for days on end, but I have needed to leave it as undisturbed as possible, and I also haven't worn any long-lasting makeup in these last two weeks - though sometimes I've worn tinted moisturizer. My skin finally got back to appearing normal, and it has developed a couple of pimples in the last two days which seem to be from the lack of cleanser, and I can't keep wearing no makeup, so I decided to look around for a new face wash.

In the past, I had already tried a lot of products, and I knew I'd have to go for the most gentle ones, so by looking here and on other sites, I was able to narrow it down to about 10, whose reviews I studied carefully. Even the best-liked only have about a 60 or 70% approval rating. I took a list of 5 or so that seem worth trying to a large store in my area (I'm looking at drugstore-type brands for this go-round, such as Purpose, Cerave, Clean&Clear, etc., but would not be averse to trying more expensive cleansers - it's just that in the past I didn't have much luck with them.)

For some strange reason, the store, which has a pretty big selection of drugstore and a few higher-end ranges, did not have any of the ones on my list, except for Cerave, and I had forgotten to print out a coupon that they are offering right now on their site, plus it wasn't on sale and I know sometimes that brand goes on sale in this store for about $4 off the normal price, so I decided to hold off on the Cerave. I also am concerned that the niacinamide and hyaluronic acid in the Cerave cleansers will not work for my skin, because the Cerave moisturizers were not good for me when I tried them. It didn't even have the Clean & Clear gentle one, even though it had about 8 other sub-ranges of that brand. So, I ended up going to the baby department to see what they had.

I remembered seeing a mention on MakeupAlley of Johnson baby head-to-toe being the same formula as one of the gentle Johnson & Johnson women's face cleansers (I don't know which one), so I got one of those. I also got two Aveeno baby washes, Cleansing Therapy Moisturizing Wash and Wash & Shampoo.

I tried the Cleansing Therapy Moisturizing Wash tonight for the first time. I rinsed it off 3 times with a washcloth.

When I dried my face, it was amazing to stand there and see, in the bathroom mirror, my skin go from looking totally normal, to getting red, mottled, distressed, and then the perioral dermatitis springing forth around my lips and chin like I was watching a film on fast-forward. I waited about a minute to see if it would subside, and at that point I realized I better wash with something else to get all traces of this stuff off my face. I washed with a dab of the gentlest bar soap that I've got, and I then put moisturizer all over my face (which I normally don't do because any moisturizer on my forehead encourages milia and hyperplasia and any moisturizer on my nose and chin encourages blackheads and pimples).

It's been about an hour, and the very noticeable perioral dermatitis is still there, in a big circle around my mouth. My skin is dry, tight, bumpy. The last time it was like this, it took weeks to get rid of it, so that's not good.

I can't imagine what this cleansing wash feels like to a sensitive baby's skin! Or maybe this year I have become ultra sensitive - maybe that is it. There are quite a few ingredients in this product that I don't recognize, and maybe the oat kernel is a problem for me, I don't know.

I'm not sure I should even try the Aveeno Wash & Shampoo or the Johnson's head-to-toe. I can return them since they are unopened. I guess I'm back to water for the short-term, anyway.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/20/2013 3:48:00 PM More reviews by mklee1920

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Silver, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I switched to this as a facial cleanser last winter when I developed a stubborn dry patch on my forehead. This plus the Aveeno Baby Eczema Therapy Moisturizing Cream cleared it up very quickly, plus not breaking out my face or giving me whiteheads and clogged pores. For warmer weather, I'm using the Aveeno Baby Soothing Relief Creamy Wash and the Soothing Relief Moisture Cream on my face, and love those products also. I hate scented skincare products, and these are great, unscented, non-drying, affordable, and easily available.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/2/2012 3:26:00 PM More reviews by zernelle

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

This baby wash worked well at not aggravating my son's eczema, but it left his white washcloths gray, and even Oxiclean won't remove the stain. I won't repurchase.

Ingredients: Water, Sodium Trideceth Sulfate, Capric/Caprylic Triglyceride, Glycerin, Sodium Lauroamphoacetate, Sodium Chloride, Oat Kernel Flour, Laureth 2, Citric Acid, Guar Gum, Ceramide NP, Oat Kernel Extract, Panthenol, Sodium Benzoate, Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride. continued >>