October 25, 2014 | 881 users online

Powder - Geek Chic Cosmetics - Foundation

rated 3 of 5 on 9/8/2012 8:13:00 PM More reviews by STlCKY

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Bought a $1 sample of Lana, the foundation for tan skin, and it was alright. I liked how light it felt on my tan skin, although the color itself was more cool toned and pink than my warm toned skin. I'm also not a big fan of the sample containers, since they're tiny clamshell containers that are hard to open and close, so you have to open or close it really carefully without losing any product.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 12/31/2011 7:07:00 PM More reviews by thecharm

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Blue

Geek Chic Cosmetics is an online etailer of handcrafted mineral makeup and geeky glee. I'm not entirely into the fantasy, gaming, whatever scene, but I am into good values and pretty eyeshadow. Unfortunately, I am not entirely impressed with Geek Chic's foundation offerings.

THE GOOD: I like Geek Chic Cosmetics for their relatively good turnaround time and quick shipping. For the foundation specifically, well, it feels nice and smooth. It covers pretty well--I'd say light-to-medium, and layerable. It's not too cakey, either. It has a very competitive price point-- around 12$ for a 30gram jar.

THE BAD: It has methicone and wax in it, which sensitive skins may be adverse to. However, those are the last two ingredients in the list, so it's not like it's a silicone candle.

THE UGLY: Well, Geek Chic offers six shades and I don't like them. The swatches on the website are paler and more neutral than how I found them to be in real life, which was disappointing. In theory, I would be a match for Codex, the pale cool foundation, named for Felicia Day's character in The Guild (finally! I got the reference) but it's too dark and... pink. I mean pink pink pink. It seriously looks like a blush. I don't think even the pinkest of us would find this a flattering foundation color. Maybe if Pepto Bismol is your liquid foundation, you would find this a good mineral choice. The good news is that they offer samples for 1.25$. Not bad, if you want to give it a try.

BOTTOM LINE: I wouldn't repurchase this particular product because I prefer other foundations with less sketchy ingredients and a better shade range with true-to-life foundation swatches. However, Geek Chic has a good thing going with their color cosmetics and I like them as a company.