Andy Tauer Carillon Pour Un Ange

I am not a white floral person. And, this is nothing like a typical white floral. Don't expect vintage diorissimo, which I think of as the bombshell LOTV, or coty muguet. Or FM Lys med; or SL Une Lys. All of which, to a certain extent, are primarily about the Floral. While this is fresh dewy lily, pulled up by its stems, verdant and green, with soil attached, it is then imbedded, still living, in an Andy Tauerade base, as distinctive as Caronade or Guerlainade. . . The LOTV is a light cool gossamer veil that blooms and is warmed on top of sunlit Amber and incense. Almost like the theoretical equivalent of 'dark' lily, in the same way that modern perfumers 'darken' rose with other un-rosy accords. There is significantly more lily here than there is rose in Amouage Lyric woman, but it's not all about Lily by any means. Lys Epona, my only other perfume that could be classified as modern dark Lily is completely different in character: there, it seems like lily And tobacco are almost tangible essences that are rubbed into the leather creating an overall dusky effect.

Adore the fact that Andy Tauer's website, exemplary customer service and prompt delivery of adorable tin box encased samples makes it so easy and economical to try his scents thoroughly before committing to a large bottle.

This is LOTV for someone who wants something original and different, yet comforting and not cloying. The Tauerade base makes it warm and inviting (polar opposite of the cold plastic sensibility of Gucci envy which is a chilly medley of lily, hyacinth and fruit wrapped in plastic). Don't overspray.

As with the reviewer before me, I also wanted to like this fragrance. I am exploring the boutique perfumers and have been rather disappointed with my sample selections.

This perfume is not really pleasant. Vertiver and sharp and almost acetone greenery. The lily and lilac notes are so out of balance and ill combined with the sharp green notes that the whole headache inducing fume seems artificial.

I thought it would dry down to something resembling Diorissimo, but it didn't.

I so wanted to love this scent. I love all of the notes -- lilac, lily of the valley, rose, leather, ambergris, mossy woods. But this one's a weird Tauer scent -- I get no rose off of it at all. All I get in the top notes is overpowering lilac, with lily of the valley quickly added. I get killer sillage -- lilac-y lily of the valley -- for about an hour and a half. Then the scent fades off very quickly into soapy nothingness, with a hint of sporty wood. A bit more rose in the top notes would add needed complexity. Any hint of the leather claimed by Tauer would also be a welcome addition. Alas, not sure I need a full bottle after spraying on twice, on two different evenings.

This scent is a revelation.
In my set of samples direct from Tauer, he included a card sprayed with this, sealed in plastic and signed by hand. I opened the plastic envelope and the strange and intoxicating aroma went straight up my nose, bursting through my head much like a potent bite of wasabi goes right up your sinuses. But this is so much more bewitching and gentle. My initial surprised impression was of a potent spring symphony of greens, lily and angels.
I finally got to the skin application today (after numerous obsessive whiffs of the card) and was immediately struck by this photo-realistic scent of freshly crushed juicy greens - leaves from a shrub in the backyard. And then underneath it rises the white flowers oddly inflected with the faint scent of rubber. It is so heady; it is nearly overwhelming. But this phase lasts only 30 minutes and then you are rewarded with wet leather, moss and wonderfully decomposing wood. The steady presence of white flowers recedes just enough to find the balance. Overall a fantastic (as in fantasy) fairy/angel woodland dream. There is also a scintillating element to the fragrance that I can't quite describe - almost like the scent is carbonated as you experience it in your nose.
This fragrance begins with engines running full blast but within the hour settles into an intimate skin scent. I love it.
[Edit: I figured out that there is a ribbon of barely-civet and possibly vetvier that winds through this lush green floral and keeps it modern and mysterious. Love it even more. May be bottle bound.]
Head notes: A soft rose in harmony with ylang and lilac prepares for a green accord of lily of the valley.
Heart notes: Graceful lily of the valley and smooth jasmine melt into soft suave leather.
Body notes: A sheer blanket of ambergris ornamented with the allusion of moss and woods.

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

I so love the smell Lily of the Valley- Diorissimo is my Gold standard for all LotV based frags - I was drawn to Carillon ever since I read it was based on this flower I love so much.
I finally manged to smell it.
It is one unusual LotV scent. Yes, the note is there, prominent BUT it's not crisps and cristal clear like in Diorissimo.. it's on the contrary a creamy, round one. Think of Cuir Beluga and Diorissimo, and add some amber. The top and heart notes are floral ones, but he best part of this frag is the drydown (and it lasts up to 8 hours!). It's something unique. I could not really pinpoint it... but I got it clear several hours later.
This fragrance is a homage to child, as I could get clearly a hard-to-describe "baby skin" note: the smell of a newborn's head, with that milky, sweet, salty, warm skin accord. It's almost animalic, in a clean way. I cannot describe it better BUT it was clear to me that the angel Tauer refers to in the name of this frag is a baby. It is sweet, round and can be addictive. I could not stop sniffing my wrists. (by the way, this milky-baby note is almost exactly the one you can get in Louanges Profanes).
Absolutely interesting and a must try.
Notes: lilac, rose, ylang-ylang, green lily of the valley accord, jasmine, leather, ambergris, moss and woods.

Popular Fragrances