December 21, 2014 | 1869 users online

Eye Shadow - Maybelline - Color Tattoo - Tough as Taupe

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 12/16/2014 6:53:00 AM More reviews by bernsie

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Other, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Silver, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Awful color! The color of MUD, just look at the photo with the fingertip and pot here. It's the color of undereye darkness, grey with a blue undertone. When one has that kind of undereye darkness (most people), cool based eye-shadow color anywhere near the eye just emphasizes the darkness. It's better to use warmer (colors derived from sunlight) undertones. Also, I have many other colors of this particular product and this color doesn't blend properly and is drier than any other I have bought and used, making this,“Tough as Taupe" color even less desirable, if that's possible. Stay away!

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 12/8/2014 8:15:00 PM More reviews by deadmap

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Let me be honest: my sister and I both have this Color Tattoo shade and neither of us can really work with it. The color shows up as a mid-tone grey on my skin tone, which is Olive/Medium/Tan. It's definitely not flattering and shows up really muddly and dull.

I've tried using it under eye shadows and it was... okay, but not really the best effect. If I wanted a matte eye shadow primer, I'd definitely go with a different shade. I can see how it'd be great if it showed up as taupe/grey-brown on my skin because I love those kinds of colours but it just doesn't work for me.

As reviewers have suggested, I also tried it on my eyebrows and the colour is better there, but mine has dried out since I purchased it and now it switches between a creamy and an elastic consistency that just isn't really dependable. I like applying my make up quickly, and knowing how my products will respond and this one is just a little too unpredictable. I actually use my Constructivist Paint Pot on my eyebrows and I love how it turns out. Constructivist is a red-toned, deep brown so it's pretty obvious that colour would be much better for me anyhow.

I can't say whether I'd recommend this to people or not, since it seems to show up different on different skin tones. Let's just say that I've been trying to work with the product and I'd rather spend my money on something that doesn't require so much work. Will not repurchase but I do wish it worked out because this shade DOES NOT budge at all after it's applied. Amazing staying power.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/2/2014 3:38:00 PM More reviews by alisonreeve

Love it, stays in place all day, great shade, easy to apply and blend. Love it

rated 3 of 5 on 11/17/2014 1:49:00 AM More reviews by MaisieF

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I agree with a lot of other reviewers that this colour as a shadow isn't that flattering. I'm yet to use it as a liner though, and might try it also as a brow filler. Won't repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/12/2014 1:22:00 PM More reviews by MikaVick94

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

let me start off by saying I did NOT like this as a eyeshadow, to patchy and just didn't work for me...so I put it back in my stash..recently I've had troubles finding a good brow powder and everything was always to red toned on me (I have naturally dark hair) well I had read a couple of reviews on here that this could be a alternative for Anastasia dip brow..which is expensive! !..so I gave it a shot with my e.l.f small angled brush...and WOW!!!!! goes great with my skin tone not to ashy or red but perfect, and keeps my brows in place all day since its a gel type and yes its a color tattoo the eyeshadow known to man to stay on all day! lol. I've rubed my brows and still nothing came off. I love all the color tattoos and am glad I get to use this one and love it as much as the rest of my collection. give it a shot for brows!!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/26/2014 4:17:00 PM More reviews by MrMontyBurns

Another huge thumbs up for use on eyebrows! The easiest and best product to fill in brows that I've come across. Fine as an actual eyeshadow, if not terribly exciting (neutral that it is), but as for brows, yes...I'm quite excited!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/19/2014 10:20:00 PM More reviews by Geekwmakeup

I recently found another use for this amazing product. Instead of dropping $$$$ for anastasia brow gel, I just use this. 2 steps in 1 for brows bc it shapes and fills, since it's kind of like a pencil but also is a shadow(I use the free brush that comes w their gel liner). Speeds up my brow process. Just this and brow mascara, and my super thin brows are filled, shaped, and frozen. Saves $$$ AND ZERO orange/red tones that so many brow pencils, even taupe ones which are really hazel, have in sunlight. Perfect color for cool toned brunette ladies, warmer toned ones need to get creamy beige, another GORGEOUS brow-friendly color. Yay amazing drugstore products!

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/19/2014 3:02:00 PM More reviews by goblinwand

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Eyebrow filler! If this particular shade works for your hair coloring, which would be cool-toned brown, Tough as Taupe is great! The reason I like it over powder is that it gives that little bit of wax effect for shaping and staying power. I used this after I brushed my brows into place as a filler with an eyeliner brush. Then I brushed (with my brow/lash brush using the brush part) my eyebrows into place, which further softens the effect.

I have been using a powder, but I like this better because it doesn't "mush" out of line, getting color out of the area I want it in.

Because it's the Color Tattoo, it has all-day lasting power. I haven't road tested this yet while sleeping in it, but will update.

It's matte, so is perfect for brows. I read somewhere a long time ago that using taupe eyebrow pencil is better than the browns because there's no chance of pulling red tones. I've been using taupes ever since, and it looks much more natural.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/12/2014 1:34:00 AM More reviews by MsBeagle

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This was the first of the color tattoos I bought, and while the color on my lid looked different than in the pot, I like the color I found it to be more than I looked the color I thought it would be! It's the perfect shade that's dark enough to add dimension, but alone with mascara and tightlined eyes, can still be daytime without being too bold or shocking. Building it up can get a beautiful deep nighttime look that doesn't shift, fall, crease on me or fade weird. I have a tendency to look like I'd been in a fight with dark shadows after a few hours, but not with this! With Mac liquidlast eyeliner and waterproof mascara, 6 hours of tough work later, looked freshly applied and didn't budge! I have a job where my hands are constantly in the sink and wet for hours, and my first swatch in my hand looked untouched after 5 hours of work. UN. Real. I had to play a couple minutes the first time because I was new to cream shadows and had to get a feel, but I love it applied with finger or a brush. Feels a little drier and not as creamy and soft s my others (inked and pink and the gray one...) But i'm not sure if mine was clearancing out because it was old, our if it was the color or because it's so matte. But I don't mind. Love it!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/11/2014 9:01:00 AM More reviews by missmelodya

this is my go-to product for lined eyes without harshness. it lasts and lasts. on my porcelain skin and hazel eyes this shade looks grey. it is very easy to apply with a liner brush and once it dries it stays put until you remove it. does not stain, dry out, or pull the skin. i've got several of these (including pink gold and pomegranate punk) and out of all of them this one is my favourite. i love the matte finish and the longevity of wear. between the ease of use, quality of product, affordability, and durability of packaging, i highly recommend this to anyone. a universally flattering shade for all ages.