Maybelline Color Tattoo - Tough as Taupe

Ingredients.Cyclopentasiloxane, Isododecane, Polypropylsilsesquioxane, Ceresin, Cyclohexasiloxane, Caprylyl Methicone, Synthetic Fluorphlogopite, Alumina, Silica Dimethyl Silylate, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Cyclomethicone, Propylene Carbonate, Candelilla Cera / Candelilla Wax / Cire De Candelilla, Caprylyl Glycol, C30-45 Alkyldimethylsilyl Polypropylsilsesquioxane, Calcium Sodium Borosilicate, Calcium Aluminum Borosilicate, Silica, Polyethylene Terephthalate, Tin Oxide, Acrylates Copolymer, Paraffin. May Contain: Mica, CI 77891 / Titanium Dioxide, CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499 / Iron Oxides, CI 77007 / Ultramarines, CI 19140 / Yellow 5 Lake, CI 16035 / Red 40 Lake, CI 77000 / Aluminum Powder, CI 77510 / Ferric Ferrocyanide, CI 75470 / Carmine, CI 42090 / Blue 1 Lake, CI 77400 / Bronze Powder, CI 77288 / Chromium Oxide Greens, CI 77289 / Chromium Hydroxide Green, CI 77742 / Manganese Violet, CI 77400 / Copper Powder, CI 77163 / Bismuth Oxychloride, CI 77510 / Ferric Ammonium Ferrocyanide.. ...

on 6/23/2015 4:30:00 AM

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I love Maybelline Color Tattoos, I love matte eyeshadows, and I love neutral shades, so I thought I'd adore Tough as Taupe.. unfortunately, it was not to be.

This is a very dark, grayish taupe... more of a "putty" color than what I think of when I hear the word "taupe". I find that I don't own a lot of shades that coordinate well with this color. It dries very quickly once you apply it to your skin, and thus it's difficult to blend with other cream shadows, so I think it's best used as a base for a similar shade. As the foundation for a charcoal smoky eye, it would probably perform wonderfully. Sadly, I don't really have many occasions to flaunt such a look. :(

Because it's SO dry and the finish is SO matte, it really does make the eyelids look wrinkly/crepey. I'm in my mid 20's and don't have many lines yet, but this shadow gives the illusion that I have much more mature skin. Not crazy about that.

It really does last all day, so if the color is up your alley, it might be worth a try... I just can't make it work for me.

on 6/22/2015 11:53:00 PM

1. On me, this shade goes very, very gray, which is not good. Gray shadows in general look horrible on me.

2. It is very matte, so it looks like my eyelids have petrified or something. I like matte shadows, but this was way too matte.

3. It was very thick and hard to blend.

4. It was very dry and made my lids look very crepey and dried out.

I wanted to like this since I love taupe, but this was more like gray paste. Back to Walgreen's it goes.

on 6/13/2015 4:17:00 AM

Don't quite understand the great reviews on this one. I love other shades of this product- Bad to the Bronze and Barely Branded, both of which were great dupes for Mac paint pots- but this shade was awful. A dull cement gray color, dry and difficult to blend. Honestly felt like I was applying modeling clay to my lids. The only use I could see this having is a brow pomade- if you had medium cool brown brows, this could be a nice dupe for the Anastasia pomade. Or a decent gray liner. Beyond that, I can't imagine putting this anywhere on my face.

on 5/22/2015 6:14:00 PM

I forgot this is a cream eyeshadow, BECAUSE ITS A PERFECT BROW PRODUCT. It is the perfet shade for middle to ligh toned brown haired people like me. Who needs ABH dipbrows when you have this?

on 2/5/2015 11:27:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

I love, love, love this shadow! I'm a taupe addict and have taupe shadows in more formulations and price points than I care to count. Have been looking for this one for a while, but it's often sold out. Finally found one and it's better than I expected.

It goes on smoothly with a finger, blends nicely, not too draggy on the lids and, best of all, not too "frosty." In fact, it's much less shimmery than I expected--just a bare touch of gleam, perfect for my 50-plus-year-old eyelids. On top of all this, it wears like iron!

The container is sturdy and just as high quality as my Bobbi Brown gel liner or Anastasia Dipbrow containers. Great for travel.

I love makeup, but am also super lazy and always looking for products that simplify application. I am going to check out more of these eye shadows!

on 1/30/2015 6:06:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

I am of East Asian descent and have dark grey, near-black eyebrows. Almost ALL eyebrow products intended for dark-haired individuals are brown and clash with my coloring, giving me a strange and unnatural reddish tone to my brows; and black pencils/powders look way too harsh - think Amelie movie cover, lol.

I picked this up when it was on sale and use it to mix with cool-toned dark brown powders or gel liners and it gives me the perfect tone and shade for my eyebrows!

My only gripe would be that it seems to have dried out as it appears shrunken in diameter even though I make sure to close it tightly after each use, which is almost daily.

Some girls on reddit /r/makeupaddiction use it for contouring on their face and seem to have success, but I personally haven't used it for this purpose.

on 1/23/2015 5:10:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

How I wish I had discovered this excellent creme shadow earlier!! I bought it today in the Tough as Taupe color at Walgreen's and when I tried it on at home I thought to myself "why did I pay 3 to 4 times as much for other brands that I didn't like as much".

This shade of taupe, which has a hint of grey in it, is an ideal color for me and brings out my hazel/brown eyes. Much better than some of those high-end and expensive shimmery ones (that were mostly compromises) that I now have in my eye shadow collection. I'm also very happy with the easy way it goes on very smoothly.

This is a real winner! Try this out before you sink any money into department store ones!

Edit May 26, 21015 - This was great for several months and I kept it tightly closed every time I used it. But now, several months later it crumbles into tiny pieces when I try to apply it. And this over a high-end lid primer! So out it goes. Hope this doesn't happen with the Deep Forest and the Plum which I also bought, but considerably later.

I'm really disappointed!

on 12/30/2014 5:34:00 AM

I think the product it self is fine, it's a great base for eyeshadows, it makes your eyeshadow lasts longer on your lid and provide it from creasing and stuff. I wouldn't use it on it's own though, i don't like it's finish or how i lays on your lid. The colour i'm not a big fan of either but that's just my opinion.

on 12/29/2014 8:01:00 PM

I bought this product thinking that it could be a drugstore dupe for the MAC Paint Pot in Tailor Grey. It didn't work for me, the formula is much drier than the MAC version and makes for a really patchy application if you want to put it on the lid as a base/something for powder shadow to adhere to.

BUT...I consulted a few blogs etc. and found that this works excellently as a dupe for the Anastasia Dip Brow in Medium Brown. I have very very dark brown hair, almost black and the cool tones in this product work very well with a MAC #266 angle brush for filling in and shaping my brows. This plus a little clear mascara and boom, we're in business.

Really glad I was able to find an alternative use for this, plus the price tag is soooo much easier on the wallet than what Anastasia is peddling.

on 12/29/2014 7:51:00 PM

This is a ok product. I don't really like the color or the way it feel's. I have 2 other 24 hour color tattoo's I like those. I don't know why but each one to me has a different felling when you applie it. It feel's thick. But ihave had no problems with it. But it does stay on for 24 hours.