January 30, 2015 | 1892 users online

Eye Shadow - Maybelline - Color Tattoo - Tough as Taupe

rated 4 of 5 on 1/30/2015 6:06:00 AM More reviews by michellekim

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Black

I am of East Asian descent and have dark grey, near-black eyebrows. Almost ALL eyebrow products intended for dark-haired individuals are brown and clash with my coloring, giving me a strange and unnatural reddish tone to my brows; and black pencils/powders look way too harsh - think Amelie movie cover, lol.

I picked this up when it was on sale and use it to mix with cool-toned dark brown powders or gel liners and it gives me the perfect tone and shade for my eyebrows!

My only gripe would be that it seems to have dried out as it appears shrunken in diameter even though I make sure to close it tightly after each use, which is almost daily.

Some girls on reddit /r/makeupaddiction use it for contouring on their face and seem to have success, but I personally haven't used it for this purpose.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/23/2015 5:10:00 PM More reviews by jmara

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

How I wish I had discovered this excellent creme shadow earlier!! I bought it today in the Tough as Taupe color at Walgreen's and when I tried it on at home I thought to myself "why did I pay 3 to 4 times as much for other brands that I didn't like as much".

This shade of taupe, which has a hint of grey in it, is an ideal color for me and brings out my hazel/brown eyes. Much better than some of those high-end and expensive shimmery ones (that were mostly compromises) that I now have in my eye shadow collection. I'm also very happy with the easy way it goes on very smoothly.

This is a real winner! Try this out before you sink any money into department store ones!

rated 2 of 5 on 12/30/2014 5:34:00 AM More reviews by Laerkejensenc

I think the product it self is fine, it's a great base for eyeshadows, it makes your eyeshadow lasts longer on your lid and provide it from creasing and stuff. I wouldn't use it on it's own though, i don't like it's finish or how i lays on your lid. The colour i'm not a big fan of either but that's just my opinion.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/29/2014 8:01:00 PM More reviews by iamjoelle

I bought this product thinking that it could be a drugstore dupe for the MAC Paint Pot in Tailor Grey. It didn't work for me, the formula is much drier than the MAC version and makes for a really patchy application if you want to put it on the lid as a base/something for powder shadow to adhere to.

BUT...I consulted a few blogs etc. and found that this works excellently as a dupe for the Anastasia Dip Brow in Medium Brown. I have very very dark brown hair, almost black and the cool tones in this product work very well with a MAC #266 angle brush for filling in and shaping my brows. This plus a little clear mascara and boom, we're in business.

Really glad I was able to find an alternative use for this, plus the price tag is soooo much easier on the wallet than what Anastasia is peddling.

rated 3 of 5 on 12/29/2014 7:51:00 PM More reviews by makeup04

This is a ok product. I don't really like the color or the way it feel's. I have 2 other 24 hour color tattoo's I like those. I don't know why but each one to me has a different felling when you applie it. It feel's thick. But ihave had no problems with it. But it does stay on for 24 hours.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/29/2014 7:32:00 PM More reviews by Kthrnrsll

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I bought this just recently and from the very first moment, i loved it right away. I find it very long lasting and i somehow like the shade too even if it's a little bit light. I'm honestly into the "natural look" and i use this as my eyeshadow or even an eyebrow filler. I find the packaging really good as well. Especially when you're the type of person who is always on the go and would need a little bit of touch up. It's small and it can be easily applied. I love it

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 12/16/2014 6:53:00 AM More reviews by bernsie

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Other, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Silver, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Awful color! The color of MUD, just look at the photo with the fingertip and pot here. It's the color of undereye darkness, grey with a blue undertone. When one has that kind of undereye darkness (most people), cool based eye-shadow color anywhere near the eye just emphasizes the darkness. It's better to use warmer (colors derived from sunlight) undertones. Also, I have many other colors of this particular product and this color doesn't blend properly and is drier than any other I have bought and used, making this,“Tough as Taupe" color even less desirable, if that's possible. Stay away!

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 12/8/2014 8:15:00 PM More reviews by deadmap

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Let me be honest: my sister and I both have this Color Tattoo shade and neither of us can really work with it. The color shows up as a mid-tone grey on my skin tone, which is Olive/Medium/Tan. It's definitely not flattering and shows up really muddly and dull.

I've tried using it under eye shadows and it was... okay, but not really the best effect. If I wanted a matte eye shadow primer, I'd definitely go with a different shade. I can see how it'd be great if it showed up as taupe/grey-brown on my skin because I love those kinds of colours but it just doesn't work for me.

As reviewers have suggested, I also tried it on my eyebrows and the colour is better there, but mine has dried out since I purchased it and now it switches between a creamy and an elastic consistency that just isn't really dependable. I like applying my make up quickly, and knowing how my products will respond and this one is just a little too unpredictable. I actually use my Constructivist Paint Pot on my eyebrows and I love how it turns out. Constructivist is a red-toned, deep brown so it's pretty obvious that colour would be much better for me anyhow.

I can't say whether I'd recommend this to people or not, since it seems to show up different on different skin tones. Let's just say that I've been trying to work with the product and I'd rather spend my money on something that doesn't require so much work. Will not repurchase but I do wish it worked out because this shade DOES NOT budge at all after it's applied. Amazing staying power.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/2/2014 3:38:00 PM More reviews by alisonreeve

Love it, stays in place all day, great shade, easy to apply and blend. Love it

rated 3 of 5 on 11/17/2014 1:49:00 AM More reviews by MaisieF

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I agree with a lot of other reviewers that this colour as a shadow isn't that flattering. I'm yet to use it as a liner though, and might try it also as a brow filler. Won't repurchase.