Maybelline Color Tattoo - Tough as Taupe

Ingredients.Cyclopentasiloxane, Isododecane, Polypropylsilsesquioxane, Ceresin, Cyclohexasiloxane, Caprylyl Methicone, Synthetic Fluorphlogopite, Alumina, Silica Dimethyl Silylate, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Cyclomethicone, Propylene Carbonate, Candelilla Cera / Candelilla Wax / Cire De Candelilla, Caprylyl Glycol, C30-45 Alkyldimethylsilyl Polypropylsilsesquioxane, Calcium Sodium Borosilicate, Calcium Aluminum Borosilicate, Silica, Polyethylene Terephthalate, Tin Oxide, Acrylates Copolymer, Paraffin. May Contain: Mica, CI 77891 / Titanium Dioxide, CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499 / Iron Oxides, CI 77007 / Ultramarines, CI 19140 / Yellow 5 Lake, CI 16035 / Red 40 Lake, CI 77000 / Aluminum Powder, CI 77510 / Ferric Ferrocyanide, CI 75470 / Carmine, CI 42090 / Blue 1 Lake, CI 77400 / Bronze Powder, CI 77288 / Chromium Oxide Greens, CI 77289 / Chromium Hydroxide Green, CI 77742 / Manganese Violet, CI 77400 / Copper Powder, CI 77163 / Bismuth Oxychloride, CI 77510 / Ferric Ammonium Ferrocyanide.. ...

I actually really liked this color for my eyes. Haven't tried it on my brows but after reading the reviews I may have to try it out!

It is a little stiff and the name is very misleading for the color. But I found if I used a really light touch the color almost looked like a light gray/purple shade. I tried it the next day darker and it was like a slate gray maybe not the most flattering color but not horrible. The think the problem is that it is sooo matte it can look flat. One huge positive is the durability. It lasted all day and (yes i'm about to say it) thru the night. I didn't wash it off and it was still there the next day!!!! I WANT EVERY COLOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

on 7/9/2015 5:17:00 PM

SO glad to have MUA as a resource! You ladies have given me so much invaluable advice, I can't even tell you. If it weren't for you guys, for example, I would probably have returned this shadow, maybe not in disgust, that might be a bit much, but for sure with at least some irritation. I try to check MUA before I buy products, especially the pricey ones, but you know how it is - sometimes you're out and about, and they don't call it "impulse buying" for nothing! So I got this home, and tried it out - and all I could think was "yuck"! It's VERY dark and heavy looking on lids (mine, anyway) and had absolutely NO transparency or any luminosity. Even just as a crease accent, just too dark. So THEN I checked out MUA, and saw this product has a 4 star rating, out of 271 reviews - which is really good! That's when I read all the reviews praising this for eyebrows. Well. If I had read the reviews beforehand, I most likely would not have given this product a shot, or another thought, because for awhile now I've been using a very expensive pencil (IT cosmetics Brow Power in Taupe) that I thought was the be all and end all for my brows - plus, it isn't used up, and did I say that it's expensive?? I really did think my brows (and the pencil) couldn't be improved upon too much. Man, was I wrong. I have very dark brows, that are sparse in places from eons of brainless overplucking, and with a few wiry gray hairs mixed in there as well. This product is THE best thing I have ever used on them! This has no warm tones to my eye, and looks so natural, I can't believe it. My brows (apparently, duh!!) have no red in them, and this is the first thing I've ever put on them that also has so red tones - and what a difference. And talk about bulletproof - this stuff DOES NOT budge, all day long, till I take it off at night. I am completely impressed, and now looking for a friend to donate my IT pencil to - I won't be paying 25 bucks ( 25 bucks, OMG!!) for an eyebrow pencil again. I can't imagine ever going through this whole container, but if I ever do I will surely repurchase this - I may also buy a backup for the fridge, because the story of my life? PRODUCTS I LOVE GET DISCONTINUED!! Anyway - if you should find this product doesn't work for you as a shadow, try it out on your brows! I just would have never guessed it'd be as great as it is - and for 6.99, too. Happy happy joy joy! Savings to spend on other products, if my husband doesn't get wise to me first! LOL!

on 6/23/2015 4:30:00 AM

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I love Maybelline Color Tattoos, I love matte eyeshadows, and I love neutral shades, so I thought I'd adore Tough as Taupe.. unfortunately, it was not to be.

This is a very dark, grayish taupe... more of a "putty" color than what I think of when I hear the word "taupe". I find that I don't own a lot of shades that coordinate well with this color. It dries very quickly once you apply it to your skin, and thus it's difficult to blend with other cream shadows, so I think it's best used as a base for a similar shade. As the foundation for a charcoal smoky eye, it would probably perform wonderfully. Sadly, I don't really have many occasions to flaunt such a look. :(

Because it's SO dry and the finish is SO matte, it really does make the eyelids look wrinkly/crepey. I'm in my mid 20's and don't have many lines yet, but this shadow gives the illusion that I have much more mature skin. Not crazy about that.

It really does last all day, so if the color is up your alley, it might be worth a try... I just can't make it work for me.

on 6/22/2015 11:53:00 PM

1. On me, this shade goes very, very gray, which is not good. Gray shadows in general look horrible on me.

2. It is very matte, so it looks like my eyelids have petrified or something. I like matte shadows, but this was way too matte.

3. It was very thick and hard to blend.

4. It was very dry and made my lids look very crepey and dried out.

I wanted to like this since I love taupe, but this was more like gray paste. Back to Walgreen's it goes.

on 6/13/2015 4:17:00 AM

Don't quite understand the great reviews on this one. I love other shades of this product- Bad to the Bronze and Barely Branded, both of which were great dupes for Mac paint pots- but this shade was awful. A dull cement gray color, dry and difficult to blend. Honestly felt like I was applying modeling clay to my lids. The only use I could see this having is a brow pomade- if you had medium cool brown brows, this could be a nice dupe for the Anastasia pomade. Or a decent gray liner. Beyond that, I can't imagine putting this anywhere on my face.

on 5/22/2015 6:14:00 PM

I forgot this is a cream eyeshadow, BECAUSE ITS A PERFECT BROW PRODUCT. It is the perfet shade for middle to ligh toned brown haired people like me. Who needs ABH dipbrows when you have this?

on 2/5/2015 11:27:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

I love, love, love this shadow! I'm a taupe addict and have taupe shadows in more formulations and price points than I care to count. Have been looking for this one for a while, but it's often sold out. Finally found one and it's better than I expected.

It goes on smoothly with a finger, blends nicely, not too draggy on the lids and, best of all, not too "frosty." In fact, it's much less shimmery than I expected--just a bare touch of gleam, perfect for my 50-plus-year-old eyelids. On top of all this, it wears like iron!

The container is sturdy and just as high quality as my Bobbi Brown gel liner or Anastasia Dipbrow containers. Great for travel.

I love makeup, but am also super lazy and always looking for products that simplify application. I am going to check out more of these eye shadows!

on 1/30/2015 6:06:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

I am of East Asian descent and have dark grey, near-black eyebrows. Almost ALL eyebrow products intended for dark-haired individuals are brown and clash with my coloring, giving me a strange and unnatural reddish tone to my brows; and black pencils/powders look way too harsh - think Amelie movie cover, lol.

I picked this up when it was on sale and use it to mix with cool-toned dark brown powders or gel liners and it gives me the perfect tone and shade for my eyebrows!

My only gripe would be that it seems to have dried out as it appears shrunken in diameter even though I make sure to close it tightly after each use, which is almost daily.

Some girls on reddit /r/makeupaddiction use it for contouring on their face and seem to have success, but I personally haven't used it for this purpose.

on 1/23/2015 5:10:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

How I wish I had discovered this excellent creme shadow earlier!! I bought it today in the Tough as Taupe color at Walgreen's and when I tried it on at home I thought to myself "why did I pay 3 to 4 times as much for other brands that I didn't like as much".

This shade of taupe, which has a hint of grey in it, is an ideal color for me and brings out my hazel/brown eyes. Much better than some of those high-end and expensive shimmery ones (that were mostly compromises) that I now have in my eye shadow collection. I'm also very happy with the easy way it goes on very smoothly.

This is a real winner! Try this out before you sink any money into department store ones!

Edit May 26, 21015 - This was great for several months and I kept it tightly closed every time I used it. But now, several months later it crumbles into tiny pieces when I try to apply it. And this over a high-end lid primer! So out it goes. Hope this doesn't happen with the Deep Forest and the Plum which I also bought, but considerably later.

I'm really disappointed!

on 12/30/2014 5:34:00 AM

I think the product it self is fine, it's a great base for eyeshadows, it makes your eyeshadow lasts longer on your lid and provide it from creasing and stuff. I wouldn't use it on it's own though, i don't like it's finish or how i lays on your lid. The colour i'm not a big fan of either but that's just my opinion.