Maybelline Master Shape

2.6

on 4/23/2015 3:32:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Coarse

the color is perfect, dark brown, but it's very soft and i don't believe it's waterproof...it sort of smears going on. i was using mac's eye brow definer that has a small stoke tip and is waterproof. it seems to run out fast so i was seeking something else but this is not it.

on 4/12/2015 12:28:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I have deep brown, which is a very nice shade a quite dark but not too dark or black and that's where the love ends. The texture of this is just awful, it's very soft. I used short light strokes and it just looked bad. The texture doesn't really allow it to apply well and it just sort of sits on top of the hairs rather than blending in with them. I used a light hand, so I can imagine with a heavy hand this would be a total disaster. This will work in a pinch, but it wont be my everyday brow pencil.

on 3/19/2015 5:55:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I have this in the soft brown shade and it matches very well to the brow powder I use. I use this pencil to fill in gaps missed by the powder and for that it is amazing but I find personally when I use it all over my brows without powder it takes a while to blend out but other than that it's awesome

on 2/22/2015 7:48:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

I absolutely LOVE the color I got(dark brown). Usually I can't find a pencil that matches my eyebrows because most have a red tint to them. My complaint is that it doesnt stay on for the whole day :( it fades in about 4-5 hours. I would definitely repurchase if it stays on my brows but for right now i'm going to try something else :/

on 2/20/2015 8:09:00 PM

I got this in deep brown, which was perfect for my very dark brown/black brows - but depressingly, there's nothing else I like about this product. I use brow pencils just for filling in here and there, but the waxy texture makes it almost impossible to do this without looking like you have weird plastic hairy caterpillars on your forehead. Nevertheless, I decided to persist, but I won't be persisting for much longer, because I have to sharpen it daily, so it'll probably run out this week. Thankfully, the one I purchased was wooden not plastic, so sharpening isn't difficult, and I also love the little brush on the end.
But still, seriously, don't buy this. You can use your $8 on a much better product that will last so much longer.

on 1/10/2015 7:29:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I just bought this recently, and it came in a wooden base, not plastic, so sharpening has been a breeze (I believe it was recently re-released with a wooden base, probably based on feedback about the plastic version). I found it in a display with the brow drama gel at a CVS.

Having said that, this is my new favorite brow pencil - I got it in soft brown, which is a great match for me - I've used other brow pencils in the past that were much too warm for my cool coloring and looked unnatural on me, but this one is perfect. My brows are naturally pretty light, even though I have medium brown hair on my head, and this pencil color matches my head hair well.

This pencil is really easy to use and lasts all day on me. I love the attached spoolie, although since i will definitely be buying this pencil again, I'd rather have more product than a spoolie, but the price isn't bad as it is. I like that it comes in auburn, which is apparently rare.

All in all a solid eyebrow pencil, if one of the four colors matches yours (they have blonde, auburn, soft brown and deep brown).

on 12/29/2014 6:57:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

Greasy and soft, but it skips over the place leaving loose crumbs sitting visibly in the hairs like dandruff? Both the plastic and wooden versions are so greasy and soft, I can't sharpen to a point, will not cover scars, and melts off my brows within an hour.

***
CAUTION: COELIAC & GLUTEN INTOLERANT. Contains gluten (tocopherol)! Made my eyebrows swell up and feel sore and itchy for a week, and caused my brow hairs to fall out. Maybelline does not currently label would label what products are gluten-free.

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

Wow, this was a fantastic product until I had to sharpen it. I had to turn to Google because I couldn't believe a plastic stick would be sharpened with a normal sharpener - surely there was a way to twist it to sharpen? But no. Now it's torture to use. It's a shame because it's so hard to find auburn brow pencils.

on 12/5/2014 5:29:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral

I purchased the AUS version which has a wooden base instead of plastic, which is why I have no problem with the packaging. The product itself works really well and goes on smoothly. It looks quite natural, and since it's a more waxy texture, I tend to set it with a powder. Throughout the day, the product on my brows didn't fade away (6+ hours) which is super awesome because I won't have to worry about my brows :D
Overall, I would definitely repurchase this product and recommend it to others! x(:

on 9/8/2014 6:35:00 PM

The thing I'm confused about with Maybelline's Master Shape Brow Pencil is that I've seen two versions of it in US stores: one with a wood casing and the other hell-sent plastic casing that seems to be the cause of all the negative reviews I've read about this. I've never tried the one with the plastic casing, and God forbid I ever do, but the one with the wood casing is actually great!

The shade I worked with for about 2 months is Deep Brown, which was a great match for my natural brows and dark brown/black hair. The pencil itself seems standard. In fact, the product itself is soft and creamy, and so easy to blend I could probably double it as eyeliner, but for how much this is ($6-7) I'd save it for my brows and stick to a pencil that I use exclusively as an eyeliner, especially considering that this product seems to no longer be in stock at easy-to-shop retailers like Ulta and Target--no surprise why, considering the bad rap the plastic version of this pencil has.

However, because the product is soft, I feel like I go through it rather quickly; I have to sharpen often. I am a religious user of Maybelline's Expert Wear Twin Brow/Eye Pencils since they're cheap and a good middle ground between a soft and stiff pencil, and I feel like they last me forever (about a year) as a result. But I've only used the Master Shape Brow Pencil every other day for about 2 months and I'm at a little over half the pencil left at the time of writing this review. If I used the pencil everyday, I might be done with it in a little over a month! In addition, the product does smudge easily so it doesn't wear all day like the Expert Wear Twin Brow/Eye Pencils do.

My favorite feature of this pencil is the spoolie on the other end. It's a little stiff, but it grooms my brows quickly before and after applying the product, and it blends out the harsh lines drawn with the pencil. It negates the need for a separate brow brush that I would have otherwise needed with the Expert Wear Twin Brow Pencils, making this a great product to throw in my bag when I'm in a hurry and have to groom on the go... as always. I love that the spoolie also has a CAP! This wouldn't be a big deal if I left the pencil at home in a clean environment, but my bag gets thrown around a lot and I hate the idea of dust or dirt or other powder cosmetics getting trapped on an open-air brush or spoolie and that goes back onto my face. Yuck. The included cap keeps the spoolie clean in my bag.

I definitely feel that the pencil is on the pricey side compared to the $4 Expert Wear Twin Brow/Eye Pencils ($2 each since they're two to a pack!), but the wood-case pencil, creamy consistency, spoolie end, and cap over the spoolie for $7 tops can't seem to be matched at the same affordability. The only things that keep this from being my favorite brown pencil are a need for a little stiffer product, and maybe a twist-up product to negate the need for a separate sharpener. It's a shame I can't seem to find this at local retailers anymore.

Popular Brows Products