L'Oreal Magic Lumi

3.3

Aqua/Water, Cyclopentasiloxane, Glycerin, Isododecane, Alcohol Denat., Polyglyceryl-4 Isostearate, Cetyl PEG/PPG-10/1, Dimethicone, Hexyl Laurate, Aluminum Starch Octenylsuccinate, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Phenoxyethanol, Magnesium Sulfate, Diphenyl Dimethicone, Cellulose Gum Hydroxystearic Acid, Acetylated Glycol Stearate, Acrylates Copolymer, Methylparaben, Lycium Barbarum Fruit Extract, Disodium Stearoyl Glutamate, Butylparaben, Tocopherol, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Propylene Glycol, Aluminum Hydroxide, Chamomilla Recutita Extract/Matricaria Flower Extract [+/- May Contain: CI 77891/Titanium Dioxide, Mica, CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499/Iron Oxides].

on 4/14/2015 8:44:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

I love this as a highlight! It's got a fine sheen to it that I love. I would love to get the whole Lumi line sometime coz I really like this product! It just makes my face glow! I am big into contour/highlight carve out those cheeks. I'm still learning but I love this product but the price was a little high for a DS product.

on 4/11/2015 12:15:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

***WARNING: Long review coming up***
Lets start off with a story that takes place about a year ago:
It was a cloudy winter morning, about -30 Celsius outside and I had just finished work. Instead of taking public transport. home I decided to wait until my SO was off work and I could get a ride. So I sat in the locker room, logged onto youtube and a 'contour and highlight' video came up on my video feed. I was absolutely enthralled and fascinated by what I saw: a young girl started off with what I thought was a train-wreck and turned that "wreck" into a chiselled and highlighted face..she looked like a model. I knew I needed to get my hands on some concealer which was 2-3 shades too light for me and some HD bronzer. So I put my big girl boots on and walked through the winter storm, snow and heavy traffic of downtown to SDM. Once I got home I ripped open the packaging to my new Maybelline age rewind concealer and got to work. About 10 geometric shapes on my face later and enough blending to tone my forearms, I was done...and I looked horrible. I somehow managed to look both tired and bright at the same time. I told my husband I was now running a bakery because I'm sporting some serious cake-face. I gave up on my highlighting dream, put the concealer where I could never touch it again, washed my face and went to bed.
About 300 days later:
I pull into the Target parking lot with dozens of signs saying "LAST _ DAYS!!" "STORE 80 PERCENT OFF!" "FINAL MARKDOWN!!". How exciting, right? As I step in everything looks like a wasteland, but like a sign from the heavens a single light is shining on a full set of racks all sporting sonia kashuk goods. As i'm browsing through it I notice other makeup products are their as well. All of a sudden, I see a beautiful rose-gold coloured tube..unfortunately so did the little old lady beside me. Quickly, I grabbed it and held it in my clammy little hands; I got a nasty look from the old woman (We've all been their before..I'm not proud of it....). When I went to the cashier it rang up as only being $2.94 and my head nearly popped right off my body. (Meaning it's about $14 CAD regularly). I drove home, ripped off the (annoying) plastic packaging, twisted the damn thing about 100x's, and painted the product on my face. It was magic. No, it was Magic Lumi. This stuff is amazing.
Pros:
1)Colour: I always aim for yellow-based products as I am a C3/NC20-25 in MAC, but this product is more salmon-based which works great on the darker areas under my eyes.
2)Pigmentation: Although this is a thick product, it does not have much pigmentation. For me, this is a great thing since all this product does is highlight and not muck up the other concealer/makeup on my face. Also, I'm glad that this is more sheer; I can't imagine anyone with skin that is THIS salmon-y. I am in the shade medium which is surprising since I am a very light skin tone. That being said, I can only imagine how difficult it can be for fair skinned beauties to find a highlighter that works for them; this comes in 2 more lighter shades and one darker shade (4 shades in total).
3)Highlighting qualities: This product has verrry fine shimmer/sparkles in it. Before everyone panics, the sparkles/shimmer don't show up very much on the skin. It's just enough for the sun/light to catch your highlighted areas and make the skin glow.
4)Packaging: I love that this comes in a pen as it makes it very easy to travel with. I can pop this in my bag for when I have long days and need to add a bit of brightness to my face to make it look more alive/presentable.
Cons:
1)Brush tip: It doesn't bother me that this is "unsanitary", but the brush is a little rough and makes me concerned when I use it on my delicate under-eye area.
2)Smell: Yes. I sniffed it. And it smells verrry makeup-y (Y'all know what I mean). Almost like the L'oreal true match foundation.

Overall: I often ask myself "Who needs this product?" and I have concluded that every can benefit from this. This is for you ladies and gents who see those youtube videos with the backwards triangles and what-not, and think "I can't do that". NOTE, this is not a concealer, but it works wonderfully when combined/put on top of concealer.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

I'm such a dork sometimes! I saw a youtuber raving about this product as a concealer, and so I picked it up. She actually said it was her favorite, yeah right. I've since realized that this specific person is sponsored, and receiving free products, but she acts like she's just your best friend and she bought all this stuff. I respect people who at least mention that they received the product for free, because that way I'll know their opinion is jaded a bit.

UGH, if there's one thing I can't stand it's a liar though!

Anyway, this is just okay for a highlighter, NOT as a concealer. It's very watery and does not cover anything on me. I hate it and in my opinion it's quite expensive at 12.99! There are much better drugstore concealers. I've been duped so often by youtube guru's, but I'm starting to catch onto their tricks finally....

on 3/19/2015 7:03:00 PM

I bought this hoping for a more affordable version of the YSL touch eclat. This product highlights, but it also settles into my larger pores and looks disgusting. I do not recommend it!

on 3/12/2015 1:33:00 PM

This is one of the nicest highlighting concealers I've tried recently. I purchased this because of a few recommendations and I needed something light and creamy for my dry under eye area (I have dry to very dry skin). This works great for me because I like a very minimal and fresh make-up look and I want it to still look like "skin". It is easy to apply and then blend away with a brush or even your finger. Although it doesn't have the highest coverage, I prefer it more because it's light in consistency and texture and it doesn't crease under my eyes. I would repurchase this again.

Magic Lumi is a good product. Is it the best out there? Nah.
I've been having horrible dark circles due to lack of sleep (thanks, school), so I decided to pick up my habit of using highlighting concealers. I have only tested this concealer as an undereye product; its name and claims of a luminous finish made it seem impractical for any other part of the face. Nobody wants glowy acne. Overall, it did its thing, but it could use a few improvements.
I may be slightly biased here, since I transitioned into MagicLumi immediately after using Maybelline's DreamLumi Touch as an undereye concealer, which I absolutely loved. I had the standards set high. It should also be noted that I accidentally bought the concealer in Medium rather than Light, even though I have very fair skin. Surprisingly, the Medium shade worked for my skintone! I was very pleased-- in fact, buying a shade up avoided the whole obvious undereye concealer look. It still looked quite natural, as long as I meticulously blended it.
This concealer is definitely salmon-toned; it's got a reddish hue. It's not very noticeable on the skin; in fact, I think it helps to cancel out the darkness under my eyes. It didn't match my warm skintone perfectly, but it was still a very workable hue.
As for coverage, it wasn't absolutely heavy duty. On many days, it only partially covered the undereye bags; you could still see the hint of darkness underneath the concealer. However, it got the bulk of the problem covered. So, I guess you could say that this concealer kept my face from looking too flawless.
It claims to be a luminous finish; however, I'm almost sure that the finish here is borderline matte. Before it fully dries, you can see its "Lumi" properties; however, after it sets, it has the same finish as a matte powder. There is no fine glitter or anything.I appreciated that, since I don't really want any crazy glow; I think the lack of glow actually made it more wearable.
Its staying power is very impressive. I wear my makeup for up to 20 hours a day, and this concealer did not need any touchups, even after naps and crying fits. I love it as a dependable concealer. In the wand, you also get enough product to last you maybe a solid 2 months or so. That's not super long, but, compared to Maybelline DreamLumi's pathetic 1-month shelf life, this stuff is enough to cover a good amount of your worst mornings. I also love the twist dispenser and brush tip; it's small enough to regulate the amount of product. You get good control with it.
For a drugstore concealer, it's relatively pricey; I think its price around $9. However, it's a good product, it really is. I like it. I haven't tried many undereye concealers, but I wasn't disappointed with Magic Lumi. If I have to, I'll buy it again with no remorse.

on 12/15/2014 1:27:00 PM

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

I use this as more of a highlighter/dupe for YSL Touche Eclat, rather than as a concealer - I think if you used this as a full-coverage concealer you might end up with reverse raccoon eyes. I purchased this because I'm a fan of the Lumi primer in the same range (which I also use as a highlighter), and I'd like to have the YSL version, but it's totally out of my price range!

First of all, I like the product a lot and have used it every day for about three weeks - I use it to bring light to the corners of my eyes, under my eyebrows for brightening, and above my cheekbones for lift. I also dab some on the sides of my nose to cover up a little redness. Wayne Goss has a helpful video of how to use the YSL version on his Youtube channel, and I pretty much follow his lead.

I'd like if this product had a smidge more coverage; it's VERY sheer. You need to use an ample amount of get a noticeable effect, and when the pen only contains 1.5mL, this becomes a very costly product. I don't think I'll purchase this again due to the cost compared to how quickly it runs out, and I'd like to find something comparable but less sheer.

on 12/9/2014 3:08:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

First off, the packaging is nice and the size is really handy to bring along in a small bag if concealer is ever needed to be touched up. That said, it's pretty useless in its current state.

It doesn't really slow up on my skin and it's really sheer. It's basically everything I wouldn't want in a concealer. If anything, it'd be better as a highlighter. I can see how people with lighter skintones might get on well with it, but I have the one in Light (which was given to me by my sister) and it doesn't do much for me. It looks streaky and doesn't dry with enough luminescence to brighten up my skin.

The product is also used up quite fast, as it's not very pigmented and I had to use a lot to really see any effect. I think it's a product that tries to do too much instead of doing one thing well. I'd rather use an illuminator or a simple concealer rather than skipping both steps. I didn't find this product any more convenient than use two products instead of one.

I won't be repurchasing, but it may work for lighter skin tones or for people whose skin tone is pink based. It really just hardly shows up on my Olive/Tan skin. I wouldn't believe the hype on this one.

on 12/2/2014 10:35:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

Nothing luminous about this one, hard to blend and goes on cakey on my dry skin. I bought this for highlighting underneath my eyes in the light 001? color but that did not work on my yellow undertoned skin, it gave me a grayish cast but that's al personal. I would not even buy it again in another color because I just hate the formula.

on 11/20/2014 11:27:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

A bit pricey but thought I'd try it since it's been compared to the YSL version. This was very light coverage for me, you could see through it. I used every last drop solely for the principal of the matter. Will never buy again. I think Maybelline has better choices for less.