July 23, 2014 | 2173 users online

Pressed Powders - Tom Ford - Illuminating Powder - Translucent

rated 3 of 5 on 2/26/2014 7:55:00 AM More reviews by dammitbear

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I got blinded by the brand name. TOM FORD is a clothing designer the makeup line is such a disappointment. It's a nice pressed powder, but for $75, it definitely should be better. Nothing special, about this powder I haven't gone to a drugstore for face powder but I feel it would be just as good so mad at myself for spending that much money.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/4/2013 12:57:00 AM More reviews by halve_moon

I really don't know why it has not worked for most of the reviewer here. I got my translucent powder in Translucent Pink and I have worn it over liquid foundation (MUFE Face & Body Foundation), over powder foundation (Serge Lutens Powder Foundation), and just over a sunscreen. All has given me results as if my skin is translucent. The powder finish lasts all day long and I've got compliments from people on how good my skin looks. I do not use the brush that came with the powder. But I used a powder brush to just sweep it lightly all over my face. The result is a skin that looks translucent... not matte and not shiny.

rated 1 of 5 on 12/28/2012 12:16:00 PM More reviews by bellecat

This review is actually for the Translucent Finishing powder which I received in Alabaster Nude. The powder comes packaged in the same heavy dark brown compact with gold trim that all the TF products comes in. Sigh. The finishing powder is a matte pressed powder that comes with a short brush rather than a powder puff - similar to what you might get with a bronzing powder. It's a nice idea and the brush is pretty good quality but the problem is when you drag the brush across the powder, it flies everywhere! And I mean everywhere. I don't know whether its because the powder is loosely packed but this makes one holy mess because the pick-up on the brush isn't great. Someone did not think this one through to the execution stage or maybe they didn't care. I actually would have preferred a puff or sponge because at least the powder would adhere to it - or so one would think. A good analogy is that its like sweeping a broom across a dusty floor, you're just pushing the dust around rather than picking it up. What a waste!

So what about the powder? The Alabaster Nude shade is the lightest shade and its very fair. It actually doesn't have much color at all so translucent is apt. The powder itself is very soft and doesn't have any coverage but that's probably because I couldn't get any on the stupid brush. It's almost like TF was trying to combine the benefits of a loose powder with the convenience of a pressed powder and came up short on all counts. He would have been better off just making a loose powder rather than packing a crappy pressed powder into this compact which by the way doesn't even hold that much product considering the size of the thing.

This is the fifth Tom Ford product I have tried and none of them - not a single one - have been worth the expense. I have tried both foundations, the e/s quad, and the powder and they all went back. The mascara was decent but I wouldn't buy it again. I also test drove the Jasmine Rouge lipstick in Neiman's, the one make-up product that is sold locally and while the colors were okay, the formula was nothing special for $50. Next to CDp, this is the most expensive makeup I have ever used, but it is easily the worst quality I have ever encountered in a designer makeup line. Nothing here is state of the art. TF has alot of nerve charging such outrageous prices for such sub-par products that aren't even well-designed. Consider yourself warned!

rated 1 of 5 on 8/2/2012 10:16:00 AM More reviews by LPaddict

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Tom Fraud!

If you have some flea powder knocking about, I suggest you use that instead as it'd do more good than this absolute tat! Didn't 'finish' or 'hold' my make-up, didn't take away that foundation too-glowy look and I paid 50 for the privilege!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/8/2012 8:13:00 PM More reviews by LeslieCZ

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Other, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

This is the perfect illuminating (but not sparkly or shimmery) light powder for a gorgeous, soft glow. It's awesome on my very fair, very dry skin. It's a pale, pale yellow color so it evens and subtley tones down redness (I have rosacea so it's a fabulous finisher for my nose and chin). It's also excellent for diffusing and subduing makeup that didn't get blended quite right and for toning down too much color application (i.e. too bright blush, too dark contour, etc.). It's not a powder for any kind of coverage (and it might be too glowing for oily skin), but for me, it's the very last thing I use to sweep across my face with a big brush and, voila, I am so pleased with my glowing skin! An elegant, chic and subtle final touch that makes me feel and look younger and more flawless! Another must have for me (and I think another BIG hit from Tom Ford Beaty).

rated 1 of 5 on 1/8/2012 11:25:00 AM More reviews by dggd

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Tom Ford Beauty Illuminating Powder is NOT illuminating in any way, shape or form. It is an adequate finishing powder ... though with a very heavy finish ... and for $75 there are many better choices. If you have good skin this doesn't enhance your skin at all b/c it has such a heavy finish.

Very disappointed in this product ... how dare he call this an illuminating powder when there is zip illumination ... and in fact it is a very matte finish. Total FAIL for Tom Ford for this product. Huge thumbs down.

ETA: Here's a youtube review by a make up artist for WORST products of the year...it's the 1st thing he reviews. He displays & shows the product and you can see how awful it is.

He concurs with my review 100%. He says there is absolutely NOTHING illuminating about it at all ... no shimmer, no shine calls it "the nastiest chalky-est powder he's ever seen." "horrible, horrible product" ... he can't bear the product.

I only wish I'd seen his video BEFORE I bought it. I have returned it ASAP.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/13/2011 3:24:00 PM More reviews by abfabjeanius

Yowza! This powder is expensive! I wasn't sure whether to categorize it as a highlighter or a pressed powder, but decided to do pressed powder, so I normally use it all over my face as a finishing powder.

A description from the Bergdorf Goodman website:

Diffuse imperfections and create radiant skin with this weightless and undetectable, micro-fine powder. Formulated with specially coated pigments, it creates a diaphanous veil of light on the face to achieve a silky, smooth-looking surface. Its ultra-gliding texture blends like a fluid on the skin, moisturizing and redefining the complexion to ensure a natural, even and luminous finish. Custom applicator brush included.

This powder is butter-colored in the pan, but applies translucent once on the skin. The texture is extremely fine and soft, and it is virtually undetectable on the face. There are no crazy shimmer particles or anything that would give away the fact that you are wearing it. Instead, it just gives a very "airbrushed" effect to the skin, blurring fine lines/wrinkles and big pores.

The other day, I used just concealer and this on top (no foundation!), and had random people complimenting me on how great my skin looked. Little did they know... Tom Ford was behind it all... lol! The only thing this powder does not do is control oil. I definitely have to blot my face throughout the day, as my skin is quite oily.

The compact, like the other Tom Ford compacts, is a wood-tone brown plastic with gold trim, and comes in a brown velvet pouch. It comes with its own brush, which I actually like using for applicatiion.

The pricepoint is CRAZY - $75USD - but to be honest, I have never found any product like this. I've tried Bare Escentual's Mineral Veil, MUFE's HD loose powder, MAC Prep+Prime powder, etc., and although they all make the claim that this product does, the Tom Ford powder is the only one that actually rings true for me.

For reference, I have a light golden skintone (about NC20'ish in MAC), and will definitely be repurchasing if I run out.

Here is the direct link to this product on the BG website so you can see the picture of it:
http://www.bergdorfgoodman.com/store/catalog/prod.jhtml?itemId=prod71840031&parentId=cat377806&masterId=cat377803&index=79&isEditorial=false&cmCat=cat000000cat000005cat000017cat10022cat245100cat377803cat377806 continued >>

6 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No