October 1, 2014 | 1795 users online

Polishes - Sally Hansen - insta-dri in slick slate

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/18/2013 4:45:00 PM More reviews by GeekChick

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I rarely wear cream finishes or taupes/greys but this one jumped out at me in the store. I would describe it as medium-dark (but not vampy) grey with purple undertones and a cream finish. In the store I compared it to Essie Merino Cool and the colors looked very similar in the bottle; however, I don't actually own Merino Cool so I can't say whether it's a true dupe. Usually taupes/greys are not very flattering on my pale, warm skintone, but the purple tones in Slick Slate make it much more wearable for me. I already use a fast-dry top coat so I can't say whether this polish dries any faster than usual. The wide brush takes a little getting used to but my application turned out better than expected. I needed two coats for opacity. It does seem to last very well -- I've been wearing it for 5 days with no chips, including spending 3 hours assembling some flat-packed furniture!

rated 5 of 5 on 11/17/2012 5:17:00 PM More reviews by jenniviva

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I am in love with this nail polish! I got it for under $5 at Target, and I love the formula, colour, shine, and durability! The application took me a little while to get used to because the brush is very wide (which I love) but it holds a lot of product! The colour is completely work appropriate, and sophisticated as well. The drying time also really did impress me :)

rated 4 of 5 on 5/19/2012 10:21:00 PM More reviews by sienna2125

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Fine Eyes: Brown

Pros:

Overall this is a beautiful & versatile work appropriate neutral which can also compliment an edgy night look. I'm a NC45 so I know this color works for those w/ warm undertones however this color has blue notes which could also work for those with cooler undertones. While this is a dark color it's still a neutral that could be worn during the summer as well as winter.

Cons:

This color is 2 coats to opaque.

The color is labelled as "insta-dry" but I found this color to have a longer than average dry time in part b/c the brush picks up so much color you have to be careful to avoid thick layers. Of course thick layers can lead to chips (which happened to me w/ this color) so again application is key.

It was mentioned by another makeup alley user that this color is a dupe for "You Don't Know Jaques". While this color is similar I don't find it to be a bona fide dupe. This color is has a more mauve/grey (cooler) base then the taupe/olive (warmer) base of YDKJ.

Conclusion:

Nevertheless this a great all purpose color which compliments a variety of skintones & looks. Just be careful with the application in order to get the full benefit of this color.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/11/2012 7:44:00 PM More reviews by PurpleCupcake87

I know I'm jumping on the bandwagon extremely late for this color but I saw it in Walmart yesterday and thought ill just try it already. I love this shade! I Like having darker colors on my nails and this is perfect from when I want to switch it up from black. Its a soft grey color and looks good against my NC 25 coloring. Its neutral so it goes with everything (: I will Come back and review how long it lasted on me and other details, but I just had to share how much I'm loving this color!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/9/2011 4:49:00 PM More reviews by alexanna7

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Olive, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

slick slate is a taupe-grey nail polish that is creamy and could have a little mauve in it.it dries fast,last long with revlon top coat! Verry nice for winter! Love it!