August 31, 2014 | 993 users online

Powder - Southern Magnolia Minerals - Original Full Coverage Mineral Foundation

rated 5 of 5 on 10/5/2013 10:54:00 PM More reviews by Jbhollywood

Great price! Sign up for the newsletter and you will get weekly coupon codes! The foundation is great and you can order samples. Plus you can order color corrector to mix in with the foundation in order to get a shade perfect for you! Free shipping is super fat and they tend to throw in a few free samples. Couldn't be happier with the company!

rated 4 of 5 on 11/30/2012 2:15:00 PM More reviews by beehivekristine

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I ordered testers of this foundation after ordering and LOVING the Diva Defense Shine Stopper (I'll do a review on this too)
I found a good match with the "Light" color. My skin loves this line. It has a strange almost gritty texture if you run it between your fingers, but it goes on smoothly and matte. After a few minutes it melds with the skin beautifully. This is the first mineral powder makeup that I've used that actually seemed to sink into my skin and not just rub off. Some others I've tried have almost felt "waxy"..for a better term. The coverage is good, although I would call it medium rather that full. It seems to blur any imperfections while making it look like I'm not wearing makeup. But with a tiny ammount of concealer, my skin looks pretty flawless (it's really not). I wasn't impressed with their concealer I tried, so I use GloMinerals Camoflage under my eyes and a couple of age spots, and I'm good to go.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 12/3/2011 12:45:00 PM More reviews by thecharm

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Blue

Southern Magnolia Minerals is an NC based mineral company that offers a variety of mineral makeup. There are 8 shades in the Original Full Coverage formula, 9 shades in the Diva Defense Sheer Coverage formula, and 7 shades in a liquid mineral formula. I ordered the Original formula in Fair.

The ingredients are Sericite, Titanium Dioxide, Zinc Oxide, Iron Oxide, Kosher Grade Rice Powder, Kaolin Clay. Sericite is a mica, so if you're looking for a mica-free product, look elsewhere. However, although it does have mica, the finish is matte. It does not have bismuth and has a very good rating on SkinDeep, which investigates products for hazardous ingredients and rates them accordingly.

I admit, I was a little worried. When I swatched the foundation, on my arm and then when I applied it on my face, there were occasionally red streaks, as if there was a ruddy pigment that hasn't been fully mixed. Fortunately, upon blending, the red streaks disappeared. For me, I found that it is not necessary to buff very heavily with this foundation. It's fairly lightweight, but I believe Lumiere is lighter. It's not quite as creamy (or opaque) as Lucy Minerals. The kaolin clay and the rice powder makes it feel particularly powdery and kind of dry and tight feeling on the face. It lasts well on my normal skin and the finish is matte.

It comes in a jar with a sifter; I wish the sifter was rotating for convenient portability. Foundation samples are 3.00, but SMM offers free US shipping. My makeup was shipped very quickly and I had a positive experience!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No