October 25, 2014 | 1203 users online

Eyeliner - Maybelline - eye studio lasting drama in eggplant

rated 4 of 5 on 9/7/2013 12:49:00 PM More reviews by jencypark

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Other Eyes: Other

I'm surprised by the rating this product got so far! Honestly I felt like this product was pretty awesome for me. I have brown eyes and I'm Asian. It's true that it's not a deep rich purple...it's more like a purple eyeliner with bit of glitter.
What I like about this product is that I don't have to apply primer and the eyeliner stays put. I have monolids so even gel liners smudge on my eyes. It makes my life a whole lot easier if it doesn't smudge. On me the color doesn't flake nor does it smear. Secondly I do love the color with my brown eyes. However this color gives a natural look...a black gel liner gives my eyes more of an illusion of thicker lashes and bolder bigger eyes whereas this eggplant color does change my eye shape a bit but it's more natural. So in that regard it's not as versatile...so I take one lippy off.
I went to a Bobbi Brown counter the other day and the lady asked me if I was using their purple gel liner. Little did she know I was using a drugstore product haha.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 5/21/2013 5:56:00 AM More reviews by lizzea

Not as good as the black, which was disappointing as it could have been such a lovely colour on the skin... Too sheer when applied and not as smooth or buttery as the black. It's ok but wouldn't repurchase.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/19/2013 10:07:00 PM More reviews by Reitelle

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

A lot of the other commenters are saying that the product is too sheer and flaky; I have to say that I don't agree. I wear this eyeliner literally every day and it does not flake off at all. In my opinion, the brush they give you really isn't a great choice and I opt to use a concealer brush on its side due to the need for the dense, concealer brush style, bristles and a finer line than what the original brush provides. I saw that a lot of the commenters have blue eyes; this probably explains the dissatisfaction with the color, the deep purple is a complementary color for green/hazel eyes and may look decent on some brown eyed women but would probably not look particularly flattering on blued eyed users. I enjoy the versatility of the product as I can easily choose to blend the eyeliner upwards and into the shadow if I want or apply it strictly as a liner. I find that it dries rather quickly and is not prone to smudging. Definitely a flattering color on me.

rated 2 of 5 on 5/12/2012 2:22:00 AM More reviews by tyan

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Disappointed. Too sheer, too dry, application is not smooth. No luck no matter what applicator I used. I have tried several drugs store and high end gel/cream liners and love Joe Fresh (Superstore brand) gel liner the most. The color Raisin (dark purple) is definitely way way better than this Maybelline's one. Strong pigmentation, creamy, and it's inexpensive. I got mine at $6 per pot but regular price is $8. Except Raisin I also got Caviar (dark olive) and a slate color (forgot the name). They are all great. I will stick to these from now on. Why would I spend more when I can get high quality products at low prices.

rated 2 of 5 on 4/25/2012 8:54:00 PM More reviews by tstimbert

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Ugh. This product. I'm so in love with the black version of this gel liner, so I was expecting the same greatness from Eggplant. Nope. It's very sheer, not buildable, dry, and flaky. I've used this as a dark base and it worked okay, but I already have a bright purple cream shadow and a black one. So why would I need a muddy lovechild of those two? Times like these make me glad I discovered swapping.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/30/2012 8:24:00 PM More reviews by thisisntoriginal

The color in the jar is beautiful, but the application is so sheer, it's almost not even worth it. I've been using it as a base for more dramatic purple shadows, otherwise it would never be touched.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/27/2012 11:03:00 PM More reviews by jasiah

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

This product goes on easy,It last a full day and is a beautiful color.

rated 1 of 5 on 2/25/2012 10:06:00 PM More reviews by swanx28

This is the worst gel liner from their collection. It takes 4-5 applications to achieve the color. Gave up on it even though the color from the jar was perfect. Tossed out! On to finding my next eggplant color gel liner.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/21/2012 4:31:00 PM More reviews by loriann52

Hmm, I am not sure quite how I feel about this one. I love the colour, and it does last long but it is a bit of a pain to get on. I have two other of the Maybelline gel liners (Sapphire and Forest), and this is definitely the most difficult to work with.It is still worth it though. Not sure if I'd buy it again.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/8/2012 11:27:00 AM More reviews by ahotjanuary

I have green/hazel eyes, and personally love the Eggplant color. It's lighter than I would have expected, but the shade I find makes it more versatile (with black, there's a narrow application margin before eyeliner looks too "evening"). I've seen complaints about the price, but for a drugstore gel liner with brush (even though I use my own angled brush) it's reasonable - plus a little goes a long way so it's actually economical. Eventually I'll shell out the $$$ for MAC, but I've been overall pleased with Maybelline's version.

For those experiencing it drying out: mix with a few eye drops and then pat it down, good as new.