July 29, 2014 | 1877 users online

Palettes - Tom Ford - Shade & Illuminate, Intensity One

image 0image 1image 2

rated 2 of 5 on 12/10/2013 9:28:00 AM More reviews by paleseptember

I have tried hard to love this product but I just can't make it work for me - a true disappointment that I'm tirelessly trying to use up!

The worst thing about this product is the tone. Intensity 1 is marketed towards fairer skin tones and even on my pale olive skin I detect orange undertones. It's for this reason that I don't use the product as a contour but rather use it as I would a bronzer - lightly blend over the cheekbones and temples to liven up my complexion. On my combination skin, the dark shade alone provides me with enough of a glow so I have no use for the highlighter. I don't enjoy the sticky texture...I feel that it could be much more silky/more of a balmy texture which would last longer on the skin and look more natural.

The products do photograph beautifully which is why it's a favourite amongst make up artists. I can't see how this would be a staple in anyone's daily routine but it can be fun to play up your bone structure for special occasions. I find myself experimenting with this before nights out.

It is without a doubt a high-end contour/highlight with a high-end price tag. You do get a lot of product for your money but I feel there are much better 'shading' products on the market.

6 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/14/2013 8:13:00 PM More reviews by liz48170

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Kinky, Fine Eyes: Hazel

This is a pure LUXURY product in product and packaging.

Three reasons I would not buy again (I didn't even use 10% of the dark, I used about 50% of the lighter shade..)

1). Price - you can get same results with other products at much less cost
2). Packaging -- thick and heavy - don't like to lug around such a fat heavy item
3). Color - I am fair and the dark color is at least 3 shades too dark for my skintone
4). The lightest color was slightly greasy on my face

I know everyone wants TOM FORD ....seriously I spent $75 on this product and was really disappointed

The HYPE over TOM FORD -- it is just what I though, HYPE

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 9/9/2013 8:05:00 PM More reviews by clarinha

first , the effect is very natural.. BUT, the stay power is the worst! in my combination skins last for about 2 h ...the highlighter is very subtle.. I prefer mary lou manizer (theBalm) ... Still looking for the perfect contour product!! I also have the blush ravish (tom ford ) that has a terrible power stay!!

rated 5 of 5 on 8/8/2013 10:25:00 AM More reviews by imperiale

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

This contour kit by Tom Ford is nothing short of utterly amazing.

I've long attempted to contour, and just haven't found anything that seems to work for me. I've tried different shades of foundation, powders, bronzer, but not had much luck - everything is slightly too brown, or too orange, or too dark, just too obvious... THIS is what works.

Absolutely gorgeous and efficient packaging from Tom Ford here - relatively heavy compact, secure magnetic clasp, large interior mirror... bonus is that it has it's own little suede pouch as well!

I was slightly skeptical about it, as the shade colour does look like an orangey brown in the pan but never fear - when on it is PERFECT. I am very pale (Guerlain Lingerie de Peau 01 Beige Pale), and this works like a dream for me - I imagine Intensity One 01 would best suit the extremely pale to pale/light medium as it is quite subtle but buildable if necessary.
The illuminate shade is a soft pearly ivory, universally flattering, and perfect for highlighting. Although it looks extremely white in the pan, it gives the effect of dewiness and health - it's very natural looking.

The formula is gorgeous - creamy, and so easily workable. I use a small flat brush to apply and partially blend, finishing blending with a Beauty Blender. I use the Shade first, and then the Illuminate. The only issues I encountered while applying were purely down to my primer, and have no bearing on the product itself. Shade really does create a perfect "shadow" - my face looked amazing, mine but better - it looked like I'd contoured, but you couldn't find any evidence of it! No orange, no thick bits, just beautiful. The illuminate was just a gorgeous, giving a perfect highlight on my brow bones, cheeks and cupid's bow. I did find that it was just a little too much on the bridge of my nose, and it looked a little oily there (I think a more subtle "illuminator" like YSL Touche Eclat would work better on my nose), but wonderful everywhere else.

Thankfully, this seemed to wear quite well too - easily lasting me through an 8 hour shift at work!

I bought this on ebay for a lot less than I would have paid in store/online, so I can't really complain about price... That said, when I run out I will most definitely re-purchase no matter what cost as I think it is absolutely amazing! A little seems to go a long way with this, and for me, it's worth the money. Only warning: if you're not a contouring junkie now, you will be after you buy this ;)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/1/2013 3:59:00 AM More reviews by blondebohemian

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I am always on a hunt for the perfect contour and highlight - and this is it. Yes, it's expensive - but Tom Ford is actually pretty generous with the amount of product and I know I will use it all up.

First of, I'm tan - NARS Barcelona, Armani #7 ~NC 35 in MAC (I believe?) and Intensity #1 is PERFECT for me. I was initially going to purchase #2 but after swatching it and with the advice of the make up artist I was convinced #1 was perfect.

-The 'bronzer' color: the reviews online complain this product is not pigmented enough. I find the pigmentation perfect for contouring my nose and cheekbones. I use the Tom Ford Shade and Illuminate Brush as well as other slender, synthetic brushes to apply the cream contour. My issue with many contours is that the color is 'off', they are too dark, too light and end up looking 'fake' - like an obvious attempt to contour your face. The color of the Tom Ford bronzer appears natural on my face, not like I used contour. The texture is heavenly and easy to work with. After swiping it under my cheekbones, jaw bones, nose, and forehead, I use my NARS kabuki brush to lightly blend it out. The finished look is natural - my cheekbones look super model sculpted without that orangey, too brown, too red look many contour bronzers leave. It's easily blendable and buildable for whatever look and intensity you may want to achieve. It lasts for hours on my face without any touch up (I do not use a powder bronzer to set it, just a bit of the Laura Mercier Illuminating loose powder on my face)

- The highlight: I was not initially excited about it, because the swatches online make it look a little too subtle. But on the skin, this highlighter is magical. Many of the highlighters out there (which I still do love!), like NARS Copacabana Multiple can be too much of a glitter, shimmer bomb that scream "I'm wearing highlighter!" The Tom Ford highlighter does not have giltter or shimmer. I swipe this on my cheekbones with either my fingers or the MAC stippling brush and the effect looks like dewy, fresh, radiant skin. It's a subtle highlight, the look is quite natural so keep that in mind if you are a fan of the NARS Copacabana highlighter look. It wears beautifully - it does not fade and you literally look like you are glowing from the inside and drink loads of water, green tea, get lots of sleep...

In terms of packaging - it's luxurious. What I enjoy is that it's a surprisingly light palette! Which is great because I always put it in my purse. It can attract those annoying finger tip marks, but I wipe it clean once in a while.

I will continue repurchasing for as long as it's made. Because of the high price point, I would definately go to the Tom Ford counter, try it on, and go about your day for a few hours and see how it wears on you. It's a truly wonderful product and I honestly can say that I've tried SO MANY (!!!!) contour/highlighter palettes and this is my favorite one by far.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/28/2013 3:55:00 PM More reviews by Maikel349

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

The packaging of the Tom Ford products are amazing, i love every single one of them! When i first bought this product i didnt know how to use it that well but when i bought the shade and illuminate brush at Lafayette in Paris i started to become a shaping freak:) Contouring my face every day. I love the Tom Ford staff since they are so nice and friendly.

The texture of this product is so easy to apply under and over your foundation, you can create such a luminous and professional look and the product will stay the whole day!!!

Pro's are that the packaging and the mirror are perfect to apply this product anywhere you are, the texture is perfect and it gives such a professional look.

The only con about this product is that the white part starts looking dirty after a few uses and the availability since its so hard to get:(

rated 4 of 5 on 6/13/2013 1:34:00 PM More reviews by tiara85

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

My first Tom Ford cosmetic and when I opened the box it felt so chic!

Contours and highlights wonderfully, no complaints whatsoever with the quality. I only use with liquid foundations and stick to powder C&H for powder makeup.

I guess the £55 puts me off when I'm using it I'm aware of that. Just like I am with my dolce and gabanna mirror - when I use it I'm scared in case I drop it! So that isn't fun :) I prob would buy it again, but just for personal use or VIPs. That said I've yet to find a cheaper creamy C&H compact alternative!

rated 4 of 5 on 5/4/2013 8:35:00 AM More reviews by meepinmeggi

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

the packaging is very sleek and you can definitely tell there's a luxurious product housed inside. the colors are nice and complement each other and my skin tone well. the textures are creamy and blend well.
the bronzer/contour color can be built up and blended out well so any patchy application can be smoothed out. it has an almost grey undertone so it's great for a contour color. no orange cast to it at all.
the illuminator gives a very subtle glow to your skin. it mimics well moisturized skin. if you want a shimmery highlighter like nars' albatross, then this isn't for your.
my biggest peeve is that it's a dust magnet. i have no clue why but every time i use it there's always little fuzzies or particles that stick to the top. i'm baffled as to where they floated from, but they always pop up on the surface. it's soooo weird. this never happens with my other cream products. i feel like i'm wasting so much of product when i clean it. also, the case shows fingerprints.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/25/2013 12:04:00 AM More reviews by angelixia07

This is a duo of a cream contour/bronzer and highlighter and it is beautiful! The texture of both products is so smooth and easy to blend and the pigmentation is perfect. The highlighter gives off the most natural and beautiful sheen and the bronzer blends so well that it is practically impossible to get that bronzer line no matter how much you put on. The stay power is very well even on someone like me who had oily/combo skin.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/5/2013 4:06:00 PM More reviews by Pinky137

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I searched high and low for a cream contour product, and this is the happy result. It is actually the only cream contour product I was able to find. Others must exist, but Iím not sure where. The reason Iím emphasizing the cream contour is that:

1) I have dry skin and rarely powder my face. I want a cream product, not a powder, so that I donít have to powder all over to make the effect seamless
2) I want to contour, not bronze. Contour products sculpt the shape of your face through shadow effects while bronzers achieve a simulated tan. Many bronzer products enhance this tan through highlight as the sun hits the high points of your face. Contour and bronzer are applied in different places and have different finishes inherently; tans and highlights are not shadows! I donít tan in places the sun donít shineÖ.

For those who want a cream contour, I recommend this product heartily. For those who want to appear bronzed, you will need a bronzing product. (Sorry about the rant, but it took over a year of talking to SA and makeup dorks and Google and YouTube to find this. I was constantly shown powders and bronzers.)

Packaging: The packaging is beautiful and sleek. However, I think I would prefer the creams to be packed deeper and less wide. I donít use this frequently and close it as soon as Iím done, but dust migrates to this. A smaller surface area would decrease the amount of lint I have to carefully pick off.

Contour: The contour is lovely. I was surprised when I opened it as it looked a lot more orange than I was expecting, but it appears like a shadow when applied. I donít have the Tom Ford brush. I use a Mac 190, a large paddle concealer brush (donít know make), or my finger. It builds up quite nicely. Iím not that skilled at blending, so I put a little on at a time until I feel itís enough. Iím quite pale (NW 10 or Chanel BR 12), so I donít need much.

Highlight: I think this highlighter is absolutely lovely. However, I donít use it very often. I have a few others that I use regularly, particularly Becca Skin Perfector because I think itís easy to dispense, mix with other products, and apply. Also Iím very pale, and Iím not big into highlighting in general. I think itís more effective on darker skin. I reflect enough light; I need dark spots to give me depth!

Effects on Skin: I have a terrible past with cream face cosmetics. I have gotten terrible acne from multiple cream foundations, but have been safe with cream blushes. I use this sparingly as I place it in problem areas. Itís a special occasion product. I have not had any problems thus far with blemishes.

Price: I think the price is a bit excessive for me, and I would hesitate to buy it again at my current income level. If I could buy the contour and highlight separately, I would definitely buy the contour. Maybe I will lose weight before I run out, and then Iíll not feel the need to skinny my face up. I marked that I would repurchase as it is lovely and the only cream contour I know of. It certainly beats any powder contour I have regardless of the powder price point!

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No