Tom Ford Shade & Illuminate, Intensity One

4.1

Hella expensive, pretty packaging. My mum bought it and for special occasions I will use it, on top of it I still put powder bronzer. It blends really well and make my face look much more sculpted. However it needs effort to blend it , so it takes quite some time. Highly recommend it if you have a party or special occasions

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

This product, when used right, is excellent. It has just the right amount of glow. The brush makes it easy to apply the product, but the key is how you blend it. I have tried a variety of ways, but a damp beauty blender seems to give the most natural finish. I then use my fingers to apply the highlighter to the high spots on my face.

One of my new favourite must haves ,, really loving this product , I was recommended this and delighted I bought it lovely texture easy to work with the highlight is amazing !! Would defiantly buy this again !

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

I agree with a lot of the other reviewers... this highlighter is out of this world gorgeous. It's like actually having that glowy, celestial type of skin without any sort of obvious "makeup" effect. Even my most natural, skin colored highlighters don't quite compare when I'm wanting a completely natural, "bare" skin type of look. I love highlighters with an extreme passion and this is up there among the best I've ever worn. It melts into skin beautifully and makes it looks naturally lit from within, sort of the way skin looks when it's freshly washed, exfoliated, and moisturized. That baby soft, dewy appearance. It's colorless with super fine, sparse shimmer throughout. I use clean fingers to apply and smooth in since I love really working it into skin so it looks very natural and seamless. It looks beautiful in photos, and when I wear it I seem to get complimented on my skin a lot. The texture is silky, lightweight, thin, and ever so slightly tacky so it helps it stay put where needed and doesn't start smearing or transferring everywhere. I apply in all the usual highligher types of areas (tops of cheekbones, nose bridge, cupid's bow) but also use it often over cream blush to add a little glow.

The contour is on the warm side for my slightly cool toned NW5-10 skin, though I don't think it pulls orange or ruddy on me at all. But a little goes a very long way so I have to use a light touch with this. I use it under my cheekbones for an easy, effortless bit of contour. When it's done right it just adds a little bit of recession and a shadowy effect. When I first started using it I kept applying too much and it looked obvious. The right brush really makes a difference. I use the Chanel Foundation Brush #6 to apply and quickly blend, then a softer stippling style brush (MUFE 122 Blending Brush) to smooth it out and really blend everything in well. I don't love this, but I do like it. I only use it once in awhile since my go-to contour is Chanel's Notorious. And besides that I don't contour all that often. The texture is the same as the highlighter, so it's easy to apply and blend, and works well with skin's natural texture. The color is a medium, warm toned brown with a slight coppery tone. I find I use it more in the summer and warmer months when I use powder bronzers more often, so it looks more natural overall.

For reference my skin is sensitive and reactive but I haven't experienced any issues with this irritating my skin at all. Also, I have highlighted blond hair and light hazel eyes if that helps.

There's a ton of product here so it's lasted me well over a year so far, and I use the highlighter all the time and there's still about 75% of that product left in the pan. Depending on how much and how often you use it I imagine you'd get a lot of mileage out of this. Still, I wish they'd sell the two products separately as I'd keep buying the highlighter in a hot second and I doubt I'd repurchase the contour. So that leaves me on the fence as to whether I'd repurchase this again when I run out. Hopefully by then TF will have decided to package these separately, but if not I'm leaning towards a repurchase simply because the highlighter is so great.

So overall I'm giving this a three due to the difficult to use color of the contour and the amount of times I use it. But keep in mind the highlighter deserves five lippies.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

I don't contour daily, usually if I'm having my picture taken or a special occasion otherwise I just use the highlight shade which is beyond gorgeous. The most amazing and sumptuous illuminating peart shade that catches the light and gives the appearance of healthy skin.

I have used the illuminator over powder foundation and powdered blush and it works amazingly.

I also use the contour shade over my lids for a smoky eye or as a base for dark eyeshadows.

I'll most likely repurchase when I run out of the illuminator which should be sold separately, or they could make refills.

The packaging is big and has a big mirror, I don't concear with the travelling aspect of this product as I don't consider this to travel around in my bad.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Cool

I know this kit is intended for contouring but I am not a contouring type of gal. Too much work, for me personally. Having said that, the highlighter part of this pair is an item I can't live without. After all my makeup is done I apply (with the Tom Ford brush) on the peak of my cheekbones, brow bone and down the nose. Just a little. It makes me look like I'm professionally lit.

I don't care if it's a million dollars, this highlighter makes all the difference for me.

I have tried hard to love this product but I just can't make it work for me - a true disappointment that I'm tirelessly trying to use up!

The worst thing about this product is the tone. Intensity 1 is marketed towards fairer skin tones and even on my pale olive skin I detect orange undertones. It's for this reason that I don't use the product as a contour but rather use it as I would a bronzer - lightly blend over the cheekbones and temples to liven up my complexion. On my combination skin, the dark shade alone provides me with enough of a glow so I have no use for the highlighter. I don't enjoy the sticky texture...I feel that it could be much more silky/more of a balmy texture which would last longer on the skin and look more natural.

The products do photograph beautifully which is why it's a favourite amongst make up artists. I can't see how this would be a staple in anyone's daily routine but it can be fun to play up your bone structure for special occasions. I find myself experimenting with this before nights out.

It is without a doubt a high-end contour/highlight with a high-end price tag. You do get a lot of product for your money but I feel there are much better 'shading' products on the market.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Fine

This is a pure LUXURY product in product and packaging.

DID NOT WORK FOR ME (I am a MAC NW15-25 cool light skin pink undertones)

1). Even the lightest contour color was too dark.

2). The cream highlighter was like grease, coconut oil works better (I like the Becca Shimmering Skin Perfector in the lightest color)

3). Price - you can get same results with other products at much less cost
4). Packaging -- thick and heavy - don't like to lug around such a fat heavy item

I know everyone wants TOM FORD ....seriously I spent $75 on this product and was really disappointed

The HYPE over TOM FORD -- it is just what I though, HYPE

first , the effect is very natural.. BUT, the stay power is the worst! in my combination skins last for about 2 h ...the highlighter is very subtle.. I prefer mary lou manizer (theBalm) ... Still looking for the perfect contour product!! I also have the blush ravish (tom ford ) that has a terrible power stay!!

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

This contour kit by Tom Ford is nothing short of utterly amazing.

I've long attempted to contour, and just haven't found anything that seems to work for me. I've tried different shades of foundation, powders, bronzer, but not had much luck - everything is slightly too brown, or too orange, or too dark, just too obvious... THIS is what works for me.
I should note that I have very dry skin, and have found that as far as contouring goes, cream/liquid products work better for me than powders. You might have a different result if you have oilier skin...

Absolutely gorgeous and efficient packaging from Tom Ford here - relatively heavy compact, secure magnetic clasp, large interior mirror... bonus is that it has it's own little suede pouch as well!

I was slightly skeptical about it, as the shade colour does look like an orangey brown in the pan but never fear - when on it is PERFECT. I am very pale (Guerlain Lingerie de Peau 01 Beige Pale), and this works like a dream for me - I imagine Intensity One 01 would best suit the extremely pale to pale/light medium as it is quite subtle but buildable if necessary.
The illuminate shade is a soft pearly ivory, universally flattering, and perfect for highlighting. Although it looks extremely white in the pan, it gives the effect of dewiness and health - it's very natural looking.

The formula is gorgeous - creamy, and so easily workable. I use a small flat brush to apply and partially blend, finishing blending with a Beauty Blender. I use the Shade first, and then the Illuminate. Shade really does create a perfect "shadow" - my face looked amazing, mine but better - it looked like I'd contoured, but you couldn't find any evidence of it! No orange, no thick bits, just beautiful. The illuminate was just gorgeous, giving a perfect highlight on my brow bones, cheeks and cupid's bow. I did find that it was just a little too much on the bridge of my nose, and it looked a little oily there, but wonderful everywhere else.
Thankfully, this seemed to wear quite well too - easily lasting me through an 8 hour shift at work!

I bought this on ebay for a lot less than I would have paid in store/online, so I can't really complain about price... That said, when I run out I will most definitely re-purchase no matter what cost as I think it is absolutely amazing! A little seems to go a long way with this, and for me, it's worth the money. Only warning: if you're not a contouring junkie now, you will be after you buy this ;)

Popular Contour ProductsProducts