October 30, 2014 | 1153 users online

Hair Color - Clairol - Natural Instincts - Medium Auburn

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 5/19/2014 3:38:00 PM More reviews by aqua76239

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I have actually used this color twice before. I have dark brown hair and wanted to cover few grays that I have. I used color that was called "Medium Auburn" I think. First two times it basically gave my hair reddish tint and any greys looked brighter reddish color so I was happy overall since I was not looking for drastic color change. I did notice that my hair was flatter and it was more frizzy as other reviewers said.
This time however, as soon as I open the box(same color name as last time), I knew that something was different. Color before was in cream formula and in metal tube that you had to squeeze out. Now it was liquid. Then, I also noticed that color itself was dark and not red like it was last time. That should have given me a clue.
After I applied color and left it on for 10 min, I rinsed it. After my hair dried, it was black. Not dark brown or reddish but black. WTF..I didn't want black hair. My greys(I don't have many but those are all on the sides of my head and because I have pixie cut, you can usually see those)looked reddish which was ok. But I am not happy with my hair turning black which is totally NOT what I wanted. Color says"Medium Auburn" so how is that black??
if I stand outside in the sun, my hair has slight cherry cast to it but that is all.

I can see I should have checked reviews on this. Lesson learned.

rated 1 of 5 on 4/15/2012 10:28:00 PM More reviews by kaykay100

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

WARNING!!!! DO NOT USE NATURAL INSTINCTS NEW FORMULA (CREME OR LIQUID)!!! IT IS IN THE STORES NOW. YOU WILL BE SORRY IF YOU DO!! Some people are saying that their hair is falling out in clumps after more than one application. This new formula has many problems:

1) is extremely drying and causes hair to feel like straw which nothing seems to help

2) causes hair to be very hard to manage and lose volume and curl. It is very hard to style your hair after using this product - it causes it to go flat due to an over-conditioning agent which is supposed to offset the harsh chemicals used, but doesn't.

3) causes hair to be very frizzy

4) the tube of conditioner which comes with the kit causes hair to be even frizzier

5) the renewal packet has been recalled because it turns your hair strange colors.

There is more but due to time and space, I won't continue. Save yourselves and your friends - spread the word. Don't buy Natural Instincts unless they go back to their old formula which was excellent. We feel like we can't trust Clairol anymore. What responsible company would allow this kind of product to be put on the market?
Everyone is entitled to one mistake, but will they correct it by going back to the good formula? Time will tell.

rated 1 of 5 on 1/23/2012 4:43:00 AM More reviews by Sunshineyaaa

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Did not cover my grays at all. Waste of my time and money.

rated 1 of 5 on 11/28/2011 11:05:00 AM More reviews by Suesaroo

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I have been coloring my hair at home for several years. I use Clairol and L'oreal products regularly. Recently I wanted to just "freshen" my hair. I have natually red hair and color to keep the grays at bay. I thought I would try a semi permanent color in a shade complimentary to the Clairol product I had used in the past. WORST MISTAKE. I now have unevenly toned magenta hair. I followed the directions to the letter. Evenly distribute to ends, leave on for no more than 10 minutes, etc. I am so sad. It looks horrible.