July 31, 2014 | 1611 users online

Lipstick - Chanel - Chanel Rouge Allure Velvet #36 - La Caline

rated 5 of 5 on 2/24/2014 9:41:00 PM More reviews by zotzer

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

This is my go-to, everyday lipstick. The color is definitely "my lips but WAY better", and it is extremely comfortable to wear. The finish is so unique...velvety matte...which is anything but flat looking. I am 47 years old and this does not settle into lines, bleed, or get chunky like so many other matte lipsticks can. And while not long-wearing, it does wear evenly and doesn't leave that ring of color on the outer edge of my lips (which I hate). While a very wearable, "boring" sort of color, it has a very professional and polished appearance, and I feel put-together the moment it goes on....defines the lip beautifully. If I could only wear one lipstick forever, this would be The One.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/19/2014 10:30:00 PM More reviews by 4Bella

Rose toned, matte lipstick from Chanel. Very similar to Mademoiselle (05) but cooler. After one application my lips look perfectly defined, sort of stained, and very elegant. Natural and chic. It became my signature lipstick. Will repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/17/2013 2:05:00 PM More reviews by Melloney

La Caline is now my new favorite Chanel lipstick. If you love Coco Mademoiselle lipstick No 5 - try this one out. It is not as "moist" - being a more matte color but it's v similar otherwise. I love it .It lasts a long time and of course Chanel packaging is also 5 stars.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/7/2011 12:53:00 AM More reviews by LUVrascal

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

The Velvet colors translate much darker on my skin than they appear in the tube. So this line didn't appeal to me as much as the Rouge Coco Shine range. Because these are so matte and non-reflective, there's very little room for error. Thus the deep colors are just too unforgiving for my skin tone and my comfort level. I'm very pale (usually the palest shade in any foundation line) and leaning towards cool toned. Most often I wear lighter shades on my lips and if I do go for a darker color it's most likely in a gloss or shiny lipstick form.

But these really look so lovely and modern, and I like the flat appearance. My lip looks very monotone, and it tricks the eye into changing the shape of my lips. Without the light catching on a satin, shimmer, or reflective finish, there's no shadow or 3D effect. Almost like an old photograph where there's very little tonal value in the skin. So in that way it's pretty interesting. I've tried a few different matte lipsticks and this one is the truest version of a matte finish. Almost like an opaque stained lip. The finish reminds me of suede.

This color looks similar to a few of my other Chanel lipsticks in that it's that perfect rosy, dusky, neutral pink. Lots of my pink Chanel lipsticks are "rosy" and "dusky" etc. etc. and they do that color well. If I had to pick which side of the fence this leans one way or the other, I'd err on placing it in the warm category. On my skin it shows up as medium toned, and it's buildable so it can be darker. It's very flattering and natural. It could almost be a MLBB.

I do have a deep love of Chanel cosmetics so I admit I'm unabashedly biased, but I honestly do find these to be the most comfortable matte lipstick I've worn as well. Most matte formulas feel so dry and look that way too. But these feel creamy and plush, but with much less give and slip than any of the other Chanel lipstick formulas. Almost waxy, like a traditional chapstick. I like the firm texture and the way it adheres to my lips, no feathering and no gravitating out of the lip border. I get a good four hours of wear length, and I barely have to reapply because even when the creaminess disappears the color remains.

With a shimmery or metallic eyes, this looks amazing. I also like this with a nude face and eye. But I won't wear this as much as something with some shimmer or shine, which is why I gave it four lippies. I think they should expand the color range to include more nudes and paler tones too. I'd repurchase this color again, and I'd like to explore the range a little more too.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/4/2011 7:06:00 PM More reviews by abfabjeanius

I was excited about this new lipstick collection from Chanel, particularly since my love for lipsticks has been revitalized. The RA Velvets come in the same packaging as the regular Rouge Allure, so they have that fun "click-top" that is so elegant and original. The texture is also lightweight, and goes on very silky-smooth. The finish is a radiant matte, not flat. It is also pretty long-lasting, as most matte lippies are.

Now onto the color... La Caline is one of the lightest colors in the range currently offered in the US. (All of the colors are in the red/bright pink/coral range.) It is similar to Rouge Coco Mademoiselle, except Mademoiselle is warmer, while La Caline is more rose-toned. La Caline is a mid-tone rose with slight berry to it. It sort of brightens up my complexion (light golden-beige) without looking garish.

I said that I would not repurchase because, unfortunately, it really dried out my lips after a day's usage. Sadly, in the NY winter, I need something more emollient, and RA Velvet, while it applied smoothly, did nothing to hydrate my lips, and applying balm or gloss on top defeats the purpose of buying a matte lippie.
continued >>

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/26/2011 3:57:00 PM More reviews by Gailkey2

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Dark, Cool Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine Eyes: Blue

Now I am in love with this color and find it to be very similar to Incognito Rouge Allure..minus the shimmer only difference- and maybe that's why i love it sooo much!! Rosey pink nude color...The formula is like silk..it has definite staying power, even when it wears it leaves some product..lol..i love the formula ...good job Chanel!