April 16, 2014 | 939 users online

Makeup Brushes - Ecotools - Holiday Kabuki Set

rated 5 of 5 on 5/19/2013 11:23:00 PM More reviews by squirrelXetiquette

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Whooooa!!! Love this set: it helps me apply foundation, loose powder, blush & bronzer. It is a great value. Wonderful for travelling or girls on the go! Buy it!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/27/2013 1:55:00 AM More reviews by beachbum62290

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I have used Ecotools brushes for years. I saw this set around Christmas, and thought they looked so cute so I had to buy them. I love all the brushes in this set and use them daily. My favorite one is the concealer brush. It's a dense brush that works amazing in covering blemishes on my face because the shape of the brush it targets a compact area. I use this brush basically everyday, but just a little tip to others if you use this brush a lot as well, to wash it often or the bristles tend to stick together, not giving you as good as coverage. I love all the other brushes in this set as well, I use the bronzing brush as a blush brush. It's an angled brush which is why I like it to put on my blush. The other two brushes I don't use as often but I still love them when I do use them. I have washed these numerous times, along with all my other ecotool brushes and they are still as good as new. Still very soft and keeping their shape. An added bonus is the cute prints on each of the brushes, versus plain black brushes etc. Love them!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/8/2013 3:57:00 PM More reviews by SparkleBunny37

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

EcoTools says that this supposedly limited edition brush set will help you "create custom coverage with four different kabuki heads, providing multiple brush functionality for a total face makeover. The set is designed to conceal your imperfections, bronze for a sunkissed glow, contour your cheeks, or buff on the perfect powder for an all over flawless face. Each brush has an eye catching, artist designed, limited edition ferrule and incredibly soft, cruelty free bristles". I've had my eye on this set of kabuki brushes ever since it came out about a year and a half a go. Yup..it's been out that long. Hopefully EcoTools admits that this brush set isn't limited edition some time soon. I finally took the plunge and bought the set at Ulta for $14.99. EcoTools is a cruelty free brand. These brushes were made in China.
The Beautiful Expressions Kabuki Set came in a soft green, cardboard package with a clear front. The front part of the box offers the name of each brush, which is great since the brushes themselves aren't labeled. A description of each brush can be found on the back of the box. Each brush is pretty small, they're more of babybukis than full on kabuki brushes. These brushes have silver aluminum handles with the EcoTools logo printed on the base. Each brush handle has a different design ranging from leaves, to flowers, to vines, to peacock features. The designs are all delicate and pretty, a cute detail, but not something I really notice. All four brushes have very soft, duo-toned bristles.
Concealer Brush
This brush is said to be "shaped like your fingertip to comfortably glide across your smallest features." EcoTools instructs you to "use with liquid concealer or foundation for custom coverage." This brush is quite dense and comes to a slightly tapered, rounded tip. This brush is best used for under eye concealer and can be used in a patting or rolling motion. I feel like this brush could be more pointed, it's hard to get it very close to the eye, so I still feel like I need to use my finger or a smaller brush. I very rarely reach for this concealer kabuki. I feel like this brush isn't useful for spot concealing, as the tip isn't stiff enough.
Bronzer Brush
This brush will "expertly apply and blend bronzer all over the face to create a natural looking glow". The bronzer kabuki has a nice, gentle angle to it. I like the shape and I feel like it fits nicely into the areas where I prefer to apply bronzer. The bronzer kabuki blends decently, but it would be better if it were a hair denser. (Great pun, Mary!). The bronzer brush could also be nice for blush application if you have a round or wide face. I reach for this kabuki from time to time, but I prefer to time, but I prefer the Avon Glow Bronzing Brush for bronzer.
Contour Brush
EcoTools says their contouring kabuki will "gently apply blush in an upward motion to center and enhance the fullest part of the face". EcoTools, get your shit together, blush and contour are not the same thing (typically). This brush has a really nice shape. It rounds out in the middle and tapers to a soft but somewhat uneven point. I feel like the contouring kabuki can be used for a variety of applications. The contouring kabuki is only ok for applying blush and contour, but what I really like it for is buffing powder all over the face. The contouring brush is the most like a true kabuki, but once again it could be more dense.
Buff Brush
This flat top kabuki is supposed to be used to "buff over the face to smooth and remove excess powder for a flawless finish." This is the weak link in the set. The flat top buff brush is pretty flimsy and isn't good at keep it's shape. When used as a buffing brush it just kinda splays out on the face. The buffing brush isn't entirely useless though, it can make a decent stippling brush in a pinch. The key to using EcoTools' buffing kabuki as a stippling brush is to grasp it at the base of the bristles as opposed to the handle.
The brushes are good quality, they wash well and keep their shape (except the buff brush) and do not shed. I barely consider these kabuki brushes though, they just aren't densely packed with bristles they way a kabuki brush should be. All of the brushes have a purpose, but I don't really reach for any of them on a regular basis. I have better performing brushes. I kinda regret buying this brush set, it isn't as good as I thought it'd be. I don't really recommend it either, I think EcoTools makes better brushes, I'd opt for on of their other kabuki brushes over these. I also want to know why it's still considered limited edition after being readily available after 18+ months.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/28/2013 2:37:00 AM More reviews by outdoorsgal

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Warm Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Another bargain item that I found at Winners.
These brushes are so cute that I couldn't resist getting the set and I'm so glad I did.
The hair is so soft and it's great for a soft makeup application. I can layer the powder, blush, or bronzer to the intensity that I want.

Plus they're compact and I can carry them in my makeup bag for touch ups.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/3/2013 10:33:00 PM More reviews by melissamentor

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I am sooo in love with it! The feel, the application, colors, it just makes me happy!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/3/2013 9:39:00 PM More reviews by wandaana

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

BEST BRUSHES EVER! :)

I love love love these!! So cute and super soft - I look forward to using them every morning. I have yet to master the blending technique with kabuki brushes but for the price & quality of these it's a MUST HAVE.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/30/2012 12:00:00 PM More reviews by Missapoo2

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Green

my go to, on the go brushes.
great variety, there is a blush brush, a contour brush, the flat top (my favorite) and the concealer/foundation brush (the least used for me!)
i use these almost everyday when i do my makeup at work ( i work at 6am) and i need something compact to take with me. these are just great quality.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/22/2012 7:08:00 AM More reviews by avaqadore

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I saw these brushes at my store, and I thought they were super cute and I had been wanting to try kabuki brushes. I had never used EcoTools brushes before, and this set won me over. They are perfect for travel and the brushes are so soft. I get the most use out of the bronzer and contour kabukis, as I use them for contouring and my blush. I would use the concealer brush if I had a concealer that needed a brush, and the flat top kabuki brush is nice for powder.

Because of this set, I will be trying more EcoTools brushes. They are very affordable.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/19/2012 10:51:00 AM More reviews by cleogirl

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Green

I have always loved all of Ecotools products and will admit, I absolutely jumped at these when they were released because they're so cute!
I don't feel, however, that they're that great and rarely reach for them with the exception of the flat topped one which I use once in awhile when my regular foundation kabuki (also by Ecotools) is dirty. Would not repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/12/2012 10:35:00 PM More reviews by Menolikepolos

I bought these brushes on a whim at Walmart, and am SO HAPPY I did!

These tiny brushes are perfect for vacation or purse for touch ups. With all 4 of these, you get very soft, very dense kabukis perfect for applying fdtn, concealer, powder, blush, highlighter, bronzer... one stop shop! I bought these as travel brushes, but they have become some of my favorites!

Do yourself a favor and get these!