April 18, 2014 | 1932 users online

Treatments - rogaine for men foam

rated 2 of 5 on 11/27/2013 9:37:00 AM More reviews by Scatty

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I guess after 5-6 months of using this I can write a review. I started out with the 5% Men's liquid, then moved onto the foam. I much prefer the foam in terms of ease of applying, and cosmeticability. The foam doesn't make my thinning hair look much worse like the liquid does which is greasy, and the foam has some thickening effect.

BUT it hasn't worked for me very sadly. I am continuing to thin at a fast rate (37yo, this all started for me just over a year ago and I have lost so much hair and volume), the shedding is still much more than normal and I am only getting minimal regrowth at my temples. I can't say that the Rogaine has had any effect at all on shedding for me, and only minimal effect with regrowing. Obviously my hair can't keep up with losing so much continually.

I am not sure when to stop using this and give up. I am also taking finasteride (Propecia). Think I will carry on for a few more months (if I still have any hair left!). How I wish it could have helped as there is nothing else out there.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/29/2012 8:51:00 PM More reviews by makeovermomma

I purchased the 2% minoxidil equate brand for women & have gone thru my 3 month supply. I have alopecia & spotty bald spots along with a thinning crown. My first week of using this product I thought I was allergic to it. I was actually using it incorrectly, using 2 dropper fulls 2xs a day instead of 1 twice a day. Overuse causes scalp sensitivity. Definately repurchasing it, my most recent alopecia spot has regrowth & I've notice my part having regrowth.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/9/2012 11:29:00 AM More reviews by LauraAronson

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I use Walmart's Equate Hair Regrowth Treatment liquid, which is their Rogaine equivalent. The big drug store chains also sell their generics. After years of thin hair, it has regrown and I am very happy. My stylist can see the difference, too.

As the label says, allow 3 months for results. That was accurate. After 6 months, my hair looks wonderful. I started on 2%, but my dermatologist said to switch to 5% because I am post-menopausal. Consult your doctor before using the 5% if you are menstruating.

I like the liquid formulation with the dropper. The trick is to lift my hair and apply it just to the scalp and roots, then wait a few seconds until it dries. It is alcohol-based so it dries fast. You need to wait four hours before shampooing, to give it a chance to work.

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/19/2011 10:04:00 PM More reviews by polarpooch

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine Eyes: Brown

I started using Rogaine Foam for Men, 5% minoxidil after the 2% formula for women didn't work, and the liquid form made my scalp itch. This works very well for me. I had thinning on the top of my head at the crown. I'm only 43, so it was quite distressing. In a matter of months, my hair started to fill in and thicken up. I now almost can't notice any thinning. I tried all the 'natural' treatments (including pre-natal and "hair growth" vitamins), and they were all useless. None of them helped to start the regrowth process. Only Rogaine worked for me. The label says women should not use the 5%--but that warning is only based on the very slight risk that the 5% concentration could (but quite likely won't) increase UNWANTED hair growth on the face. I have been using it for 4 months now, and noticed no unwanted hair growth. Many hair growth forums for women recommend this product, too. BTW, the foam is NOT available in generic, so this is a bit on the spendy side. Also, the instructions say that once you stop using it, your hair thinning problems will return. I would recommend this. edit: one thing i would like to add--because maybe it's not obvious-- this WILL help stop your hair from falling out. i have so many fewer strands in my brush and all over my bathroom. it's quite remarkable. UPDATE: good news! i just saw a generic version of this at walmart. their brand "equate" lists the same ingredients as rogaine foam. price is about 1/3rd less expensive. i plan to start using this version when i run out of my name brand stuff.

21 out of 21 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No