Tom Ford Traceless Foundation Stick

Glyceryn triacetyl ricinoleate, Octyldodecanol, Bys-Diglyceryl Polyacyladipate-2, Polyethylene, Kaolin, Ozokerite, Calcium Aluminum Borosicalate, Barium Sulfate, Polygonum Cuspidatum Root Extract, Morinda Citrifolia Fruit Extract, Caffeine, Bisabolol, Stearyl Glycyrrhetinate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Butylene Glycol, Pentaerythrityl Tetradi-T-Butylhydroxyhydrocynnamate, [+/- Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), Mica]

on 5/26/2015 9:45:00 PM

I can't believe that I spent $80.00 on a foundation. That is just silly.

Ignoring that reality, this is a great product in the winter and fall. You can build it, work it as a concealor and hide irritating blemishes.

I'm finding that for the summer, the colour is a little chalky and heavy.

Do keep in mind that when buying this product, you need a foundation brush. If you go to the Tom Ford counter, beware of being seduced into buying their very expensive brush.

I held out and insisted that I would go brush free.

You need it. The product doesn't blend without it. I wasted time being willfull.

I ended up with a great brush from Sephora that has maintained its shape for the past year. Easy to clean.

I won't be buying the product again. Just too expensive.

PROS: You can build the product. Versitle. Scent free. Great for dry skin. Blends really well.
CONS: The price-point, the additional investment of the brush. Not great for summer. Too heavy.

Price: $80.00

on 4/28/2015 7:14:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

I thought this would feel like concealer, and I was never interested in trying it. I just pictured something along the lines of the Cle de Peau concealer (or any stick concealer I guess)... sort of thick, very creamy, and maybe needing to be warmed up a little before applying, and heavy feeling. Out of curiosity I started playing with it when at Neiman's a couple weeks ago and I loved the texture and so I ended up buying it in Alabaster, which is a great match for my NW10 skin.

For the record, I hate heavy base products, or much of anything on my face in the way of foundation or concealers. I prefer lightweight, sheer coverage most of the time in the form of tinted moisturizers or very thin, light to moderate coverage foundations. So while I liked the texture on the back of hand while at the store, I didn't know how I'd like it on my face. But I just love it. It's silky smooth with a nice bit of slip, creamy but thin, and very emollient. No scent at all, and it blends like a dream. FYI, I have normal skin that's sometimes slightly dry in small areas, very sensitive, and I usually just look for foundations that can provide a little evening out.

To use I just swipe one small stripe onto each cheek (very small stripe, about 1.5 inches across) and then use a buffing brush to blend it all over my cheeks, then use whatever's leftover on the brush to do my nose, chin and forehead. It takes all of 30 seconds to do my entire face, and uses barely any product. A little goes a very long way. It looks so natural and the finish is beautifully real. Not matte or dry looking, and not reflective or dewy either. The coverage seems very adjustable; it sheers out so easily and can be build up to a heavier coverage with some layering. It melts into my skin well and doesn't feel tacky or transfer onto my fingers if I touch my face. Occasionally I use a little loose powder to set it with but mostly I just wear it alone.

I like that this doesn't highlight my dry spots or sit on top of my face. I feel like it just makes my skin look flawless. It doesn't cause any irritation or sensitivity, and in a pinch I've used it as undereye concealer. I like the portability too.

Love it. I've been on a foundation kick lately and this is my new favorite. Great stuff!

on 4/20/2015 10:04:00 AM

The first few times i tried it looked extremely heavy. I swiped it onto my face directly and used fingers and foundation plus stippling brushes. Didn't work. Sits on my skin, extremely heavy. Then I tried a different approach, I used the tom ford foundation brush and brushed it over the foundation stick, then applied it on my face. The result? Much better, non heavy, natural dewy moisturizing look. I even tried using le metier de beaute's peau verge tinted Luminizer underneath and it looked utterly fabulous! So I guess the deal with this foundation is the way you apply it. It is moisturizing, but at this price I'd rather stick with my ellis Faas foundation.

on 2/24/2015 11:42:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Deep Dark, Not Sure

I must say that I initially purchased this foundation on a whim. I'm obsessed with all things Tom Ford, so I really didn't care if the product was great just as long as it matched my skin and had the TF stamp on it. Well I was pleasantly surprised by this "magic stick"! I have very problematic, hyper pigmented, textured skin and this product gives me a flawless natural

on 1/25/2015 9:54:00 PM

Guerlain's Tenue de Perfection is my HG foundation, but my skin is extremely dry right now (flaking, reddish, etc) and I had read that this foundation stick was perfect for dry skin. Sadly I have to disagree with that.

CONS: This emphasizes my dry patches and I really can only use it if I've exfoliated and then moisturized. It smells absolutely gross. It's a plastic-y chemical-y smell that almost reminds me of knockoff Barbie dolls. I can't explain it but is fairly strong in my opinion, I'd say around the same strength as Guerlain Tenue's violet scent.

Give the $78 price tag I actually would be returning it if not for the few pros it does have.

PROS: This is super portable and in very sturdy packaging. I've never once worried that it's going to pop open in my purse, and it's not a liquid, so that right there gives it travel points. Second, the coverage is really good. I have acne and hyperpigmentation and this pretty much covers it (I swipe it all over my face and then blend with Urban Decay's Good Karma Optical Blurring Blush). Last, when it's not emphasizing my dry patches, this really does blend out "tracelessly" and looks very naturally like skin. Not matte, not glowy, just perfect skin texture.

REFERENCE: I wear NC15 in Mac, Fairly Medium in Bare Minerals, 4.5 in Armani Lumious Silk, 02 in Guerlain Tenue de Perfection, Fiji in Nars Sheer Glow, and Pale Dune in Tom Ford Traceless Perfecting Stick.

on 12/16/2014 11:13:00 AM

This foundation is absolutely perfect for dry and sensitive skin, and has truly buildable coverage. It's unlike any other cream foundation I've tried—and trust me—I've tried them all! While this foundation is expensive, the stick is GIGANTIC! More bang for your buck!

It's perfect for days I want a bit more coverage to even out redness, while still looking totally natural and dewy. I received this foundation a few years ago in Bisque, which matched my summer skin tone perfectly. Now (December) I'm a bit paler, but wasn't able to find this foundation anywhere! I was matched to Bobbi Brown's Skin Foundation stick in Sand—but while the shade was perfect, the formula was far too drying. When I finally found a Tom Ford counter at Neiman's with the foundation, I found Fawn was my perfect match.

For those of you wondering about the shade (Fawn), it's VERY slightly less yellow than Bobbi Brown's Sand. Although I do have yellow undertones, Fawn looks far more natural on my skin than BB's Sand. So, if you've been wondering what shade to buy as someone who wears Sand, I'd say you're a Fawn too.

on 12/7/2014 12:11:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Tan, Warm

I want everything: full coverage, blendable, natural finish, not drying, photographable, seamless color matching, lots of product, portable, and all wrapped up in beautiful packaging. This is it, and there's a high price to pay.

Really emollient, high coverage. I barely needed anything to cover. I could use this also as a concealer. This is amazing on my dry skin in winter. It gives a satin finish and last all day. This does not contain SPF. I am nc40 at the moment and I wear shade 08Caramel. I'm always happy to find foundations that match me. I carry this around with me in my purse instead of my usual powder compact because I'm so dry at the moment. I've already gotten compliments on my complexion wearing this. This is a huge stick of product and I don't know when I'll finish this. I didn't want to like this but I love it.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This is an initial review, and will update as I understand how this wears. One important statement: several MUA posters have mentioned that the ingredient listing is exactly the same as the new Bobbi Brown stick. This is NOT the same stick.

Bobbi Brown skin stick:

Tom Ford:
Glyceryl Triacetyl Ricinoleate, Octyldodecanol, Bis-Diglyceryl Polyacyladipate-2, Polyethylene Kaolin, Ozokerite, Calcium Aluminum Borosilicate, Barium Sulfate, Polygonum Cuspidatum Root Extract, Morinda Citrifolia Fruit Extract, Caffeine, Bisobolol, Stearyl Glycyrrhetinate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Butylene Glycol, Pentaerythrityl Tetra-Di-T-Butyl Hydroxyhydrocinnimate. +/- Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxides, Mica.

The ingredient listings are clearly not the same. The Bobbi Brown stick was too dry for me, and the Tom Ford is buttery and rich. The Tom Ford stick is easily blended, and has a slightly dewy finish, good for my normal to dry skin. I can see how ladies who have previously reviews who have normal or normal to oily skin would find this too moist. Excellent coverage. I have worn this for two days, and am looking for two things before updating my review: 1) how lasting is this during a 7am - 5pm workday, and 2) is it buildable later in the day (i.e. quickly touching up after work before going out to dinner).

Will update as my usage progresses.

on 8/22/2014 11:00:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

I think you have to not be afraid of wearing makeup to wear this foundation. Like all TF products, it is intense and of great expense. This is my wintertime foundation. It is not great for oily skin or a glistening day. i often use it though where my other foundation just does not do the trick in covering up imperfections/problems with tone/redness. i get compliments on my face when i wear it -- but i wear intense full-throttle makeup all of the time so it works well. i am yet to be convinced that it would work for anyone trying to pull off an au natural look. I look forward to being challenged on this though! i always set this product with powder (not tf powder but a standard translucent) because i am not a fan of the dewy look. Great product but worth that much money? Buy the eyeshadow or a lipstick instead.

on 4/8/2014 5:19:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

I love this foundation stick, best of all sticks I've tried.
For reference, I'm NC25/C2 and use the shade Natural. Dry sensitive skin, a little oily on T zone.

Pros:
- 15 g product, which justifies its price tag a bit (usually sticks are 8 g)
- very good coverage, can also be used as a concealer
- nice natural sheen finish
- not too dry or too oily
- lasts quite well

Cons:
- nothing at this moment (yes, amazing)

Usage:
I like to swipe on my face then blend with damp beauty blender. I do use primer before this (Laura Mercier primer).