December 22, 2014 | 1828 users online

Treatments (Face) - 4% Hydroquinone

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/17/2014 8:30:00 AM More reviews by spaflam

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I finally caved and got my derm to write me a prescription for 4% Hydroquinone to attempt to reduce some hyperpigmentation on my face and neck. I had tried many over the counter products with little results. So far I am 3 weeks into it and already there is a noticeable difference.

You do need to "take a break" after a few months" and then resume.

I am glad my brown spots are fading.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/13/2014 10:44:00 PM More reviews by Olive11

I felt compelled to write a review on this product because I did not believe in miracles until I tried a 4% hydroquinone cream, in my case, called Lustra, available over the counter at pharmacies in Canada. I have been avoiding hydroquinone for years as I battled a stubborn case of melasma (which I've writen about on several reviews on here) because of all this paranoia online about it.

I tried EVERYTHING. Say what you will, when you have dark ugly splotches on your face, it affects you, no matter how "not vain" you are.

I tried very expensive fraxel laser treatments, which made it worse, and cost almost $2000. I tried this BS chemical peel called Dermamelan or something, which I paid $1800 for. It did NOTHING. I was mortified. For years I tried all kinds of idiotic solutions I read about online. Everything from apple cider vinegar to taking grapefruit seed oil to MSM to colostrum to this $50 soap called Wonderbar to jesus, everything, not to mention all the different makeup products I bought, like Armani master corrector and Laura Mercier stuff and other expensive products .. I wasted SO MUCH MONEY. No one could help me. Nothing worked. Nothing helped. I gave up. I was absolutely pissed off with the beauty industry and the plastic surgery industry and the dermatology industry. They all failed me and robbed me. In the end, I gave up and just accepted the ugly splotches. What can you do?

In fact, last month I went on a trip to a very tropical place where the sun was extremely intense and to my horror my melasma spread down my face, but I honestly didn't care, as I had given up, but it was scary, it was spreading out like one of those alien pod things on Invasion of the Body Snatchers, so when I got back, after years of being terrified of this hydroquinone stuff thanks to all this BS online, I said screw it, and went out and purchased a tube.

It was the best decision of my life and I can just strangle all these naysayers and paranoid people online saying it's going to kill you and it's toxic, etc. I used this product for two weeks and my melasma is virtually GONE. Like 92% gone. I am not joking. I thought I was going to die with these patches on my face but this product works. I am beside myself with relief and joy. I can't describe it. I guess you have to have gone through what I did to understand. And also to understand that you should NOT listen to all these paranoid people online telling you the horrors of hydroquinone. I used this product for two weeks. I am not alternating with Vitamin C oil and will stop using it in a while. If it should come back, and a lot of people say it will when you stop using it, I'll start using it again.

I want to emphasize again that this product works like a miracle. Anyone with brown splotches should not hesitate to buy this stuff if they want to see RESULTS.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/8/2014 3:50:00 PM More reviews by LilyMazi

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have to set the record straight :hydroquinone is safe !
I have used 4%HQ on my underarms for three months, then I gave two months off and it worked wonderfully , all the darkness was gone . I tried a lot of expensive and famous whitening creams but none worked since the darkness was caused by rubbing .
It is safe,effective and should be used exactly according to the prescribed regimen ,
then it will be the most effective skin lightening product . I have been avoiding it for years and never wore anything sleeveless because I was afraid of the side effects. In my opinion
It is controversial for reasons beyond safety and I guess the reason is the issue of skin color prejudice, otherwise is not more harmful than tanning .

rated 3 of 5 on 7/30/2014 6:03:00 AM More reviews by Yvetteski

Age: Unknown Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This Rx product works more quickly and effectively than anything else; However, it left some of my drier treated areas with very fine, vertical lines (almost like mini facial stretch marks.) I discontinued the use and most of my post-inflammatory hyper pigmentation returned to near pretreatment levels (primarily the ones from Dr's liquid nitrogen treatment of sebaceous hyperplasia and age spots- cystic acne scars were more amenable). Following several years of Rx retinoid treatment (Atralin and Differin) and boatloads of antioxidants chemical peels, the strange vertical lines are mostly gone. For those afflicted with SA, I have found that electrocautery, while initially more painful, heals with fewer pigmentation problems if I keep the scabs covered with Bacitracin (No Neosporin!) followed by Aquaphor. This regimen does not seem to work for my cystic acne scars. It's sad to fight SA and acne, esp when my insurance co won't pay for my retinoids for my acne because I am in my 50s and could be using them as anti aging treatments.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/20/2014 3:42:00 PM More reviews by goldteapot

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

Some types of skin are prone to melasma (dark patches) due to hormones. In my case I have been on the pill for 10 years due to a high testosterone level than normal. I have melasma on all of my forehead and in the summer I will get it on my cheeks if I am not anal with the sunscreen (tan makes it much worse). My old dermatologist put me on 4% hq for about a year and it almost went away. After a while it came back. I went back to the docs but there was a new dr at the clinic, which is the best clinic in my area. The new doc put me on combinations of kojic acid/trentinoin/stevia/retin A which I have been on for over a year with no results at all execpt for very smooth skin. Now my doc has just put me back on 4% hq, but only for 1 bottle. She expalined to me that if you use this product for more than 6 months it can make your skin turn dark permamently. I have heard that it can cause skin cancer but my derm thinks otherwise.

Bottom line: Yes, this product works wonders for discolorations, but it is not safe to use long term. It is a quick fix and good for jump starting the lightening process which can be maintained using other products.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/30/2014 9:57:00 PM More reviews by maybebaby82

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Other, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I'm 49 years old and all of the sudden age seemed to catch up with my complexion in one swoop! I had dark patches which made parts of my skin not effected look like white circles... Not a pretty site!!! So my derm prescibed a combo of Rx meds to get rid of the dark patches and make everything smooth and even again.

I was given a 6% Salicylic gel which I used once a day. It immediatly began to flake away the outer layers and I noticed a huge difference! I also had an Rx for Atralin ( a type of topical "A" gel ) which I also used liberally to exfoliate the skin. Once I began to notice some of the major dark patches sloughing off, I started using my hydoquinine 4% at night. Sometimes in the past I have started a regime... seen results and then stopped! Not this time! The difference in my skin in the last 8 weeks is amazing!!!

Before I began this, makeup looked awful as I tried to coverup the uneven skin tone. Trust me ladies, this is so worth the time and the money. My insurance covered the the two topical gels and the hydroquinone was a little under $50. So well worth the price!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/1/2014 7:26:00 AM More reviews by zumba

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I just started using the product yesterday and I regret waiting so long before going to the dermatologist; however, I did go so here we are. I was prescribed Hydroquinone 4%. Kind of pricy at $42.00 because insurance will not pay for what they consider cosmetic medicine. The doctor said I should see some type of results as the days progress. I'm seeing old friends on the 14th so I pray that the spot is almost gone by then. The spot is a small dark mark on the bottom outside of my mouth. I'll check back after a few weeks to give an update. Oh the packaging was okay and I'm keeping it in the box so as not to let too much light in.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/19/2013 12:43:00 AM More reviews by Ternamd

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Luv!!!!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/26/2013 10:33:00 PM More reviews by toya77

Where is the *Love button for this product? Let me just tell you that I am 34 and 2/3's he he. I have had oily, acne prone skin all my life and occassionaly I suffer from those dark spots (hyperpigmentation) that is associated with acne scarring. This product works and I only paid $32.00 at walmart- I had to get a Rx but I heard that you can order it from canada???. Ok, it smells funny, but a 1oz tube last you for about a year and it actually works. I apply it nightly and spot treat in the morning..you have to wear sun protection to offset re-darkining. This is the best product by far for African American skin, so do your self a favor go see a derm. and get some! You won't regret it!

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/20/2012 10:00:00 PM More reviews by LizSalome

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Hydroquinone is the most effective topical I've ever used in terms of lightening scars and sun spots, it really can fade them almost completely. Unfortunately it is the type of drug you have to keep using in order to sustain results.

5 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No