December 22, 2014 | 1806 users online

Eyeliner - Essence - Gel Eyeliner [DISCONTINUED]

This product has been discontinued

rated 5 of 5 on 11/25/2014 4:56:00 PM More reviews by nailgrl81

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is definitely worth it! It costs $5-6 at Ulta and often goes on perfectly and stays on. It is an inky black that is usually used best with a winged eyeliner brush. I normally don't do the flick, just a clear dark line to define my eyelids. When you hardly think of how great a product is and keep buying it when you run out, that is when you realize that it has stood the test of time. The only difficulty I have with it is that it happens to be hard to remove, but that means that it's a good thing!

If you're looking for a basic black gel eyeliner, I would highly recommend this one!

rated 5 of 5 on 11/21/2014 5:05:00 AM More reviews by jansicles

Better than my Bobbi Brown as the application is smoother and creamier. Just as pigmented. Would defo buy again, but Priceline seems to have stopped stocking it :'(

rated 5 of 5 on 11/20/2014 1:12:00 PM More reviews by morgannicole

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Hands down best gel eyeliner I've ever used. An added bonus is that it's SO CHEAP- I've had mine for 2 years+ and it hasn't dried up or changed consistency at all. Glides on super creamy, and stays all day without smudging on me. I have only tried the black color, not sure if there's any variance in other shades, but the black is great quality in my opinion!

rated 5 of 5 on 11/13/2014 5:30:00 PM More reviews by Katlan

Very very creamy, very very black and very very long wearing. Plus the price is great. The packaging is very nice. In addition, the essence precise eyeliner brush is excellent to use with this product, and it is also very inexpensive. Overall, the two together make for a very precise, and easy liner.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/12/2014 10:09:00 AM More reviews by cyens

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

This gel liner is great. it's the second time I purchase this product.
It last all day without fading, smudging, creasing. I don't ever use primer.
Once, I decided to wear it to the gym to test what would happen, because i never wear make-up to the gym. After 45 of cardio, it barely moved, just slightly faded, but really, that's amazing.
I used to buy mac fluidline, but this essence gel liner is 1/5 of the price and there more product in the jar. Conclusion, I don't see why I would pay more, for less product that does the exact same thing, with the same overall qualities. The only reason to go for mac fluidline is to get crazy colors, becasue I only seen essence available in black.

Pros:
Flat black,
well pigmented
Super creamy texture
Super cheap price tag
Nice cute little glass jar
Last all day without fading
Made in Germany, a big plus for me, I don't like cosmetics made in China.
No Parabens, this is a BIG plus for me. I'm trying to avoid products with parabens in them.

Cons:
I find its hard to remove. You really need to use a lot of make-up remover.
Dries up easily
Only one color available ( this is very minor problem )

rated 4 of 5 on 10/28/2014 11:30:00 PM More reviews by BeatrixKidd0

I can't say much else that other reviewers haven't. Great product especailly at this price. I do suggest those with oily eyelids to definitely use primer and a setting spray when doing a winged look or thicker band of eyeliner as it can transfer if not left to dry long enough. Setting the liner with a black eye shadow also helps immensely.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/27/2014 7:57:00 PM More reviews by peyvandmhi

I have tried many gel liners, because I have sensitive eyes, and this one has been very good so far. It stays on all day, even the wings, which for me always get smudged, very creamy, easy to apply. And I believe it's score on ewg.org is 1, which is great.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/23/2014 3:49:00 AM More reviews by Tashy1212

In my opinion, it's not easy to find a great gel liner. In order for a gel liner to be considered great or excellent to me it has to meet the following criteria: 1) Smooth consistency. Not too thick or thin. 2) Easy to work with and doesn't tug on the skin. 3) Opague. 4) Smudge proof/waterproof. The price range can vary as I am willing to spend a bit more for a good product that does what it's supposed to do and does it well. This drugstore liner definetly checks all the boxes for me and the fact that it is $3.99 is a mega mega bonus!

You get 3 grams of product, the same amount you get in a jar of the Maybelline Eye Studio. I have noticed in my experience that black is the hardest color to perfect in a gel liner. Browns, burgundys, greens etc seem to keep their smooth texture longer and black can tend to turn clay-like more easily and in a shorter time. However, this Essence eyeliner has kept it's creaminess longer than any other black gel liner I've tried. I'm about a third of the way through this jar and it still glides on as smoothly as the first day. I honestly have no reason to go out and spend high end prices or even $9.99 for the Maybelline one when this little guy knocks them all out of water!

It is definetly an under the radar hidden gem at the drugstore that more people should know about. That is probably due to the fact that only a few places sell Essence like Ulta and Fred Meyer. This is by far my favorite product from them and regardless of where they're sold, I'll continue to go back to it (so long as they never change their formula). A brown and perhaps a charcoal would be fabulous too. :-)

Side note; The first time I tried this, I had gotten a jar that was partially dried from the get go (it was the first one I grabbed, so I recommend going for one further back on the shelf) and it led me to believe this liner was just a drying, tugging mess. Well, I was very wrong. It wasnt until I figured out I had a bad product that picked up a different jar and the difference was incredible! I was from then on a firm believer in this gel eyeliner. So, beware of jars that may have been opened. The one and only downside to the packaging itself is that there is no plastic wrapping around the cap when you buy to guarantee that what's inside is fresh and sanitary, so beware of that before you purchase. With that said, I wouldn't worry too much about it being unsanitary because more than likely people aren't walking down makeup aisles sticking their fingers in a jar of gel liner. You can clearly see by looking at it if it's ever been touched and if so, grab a different one. Just something to be mindful of.

5/5 for sure.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/2/2014 12:52:00 PM More reviews by kileylovescake

I was always scared of gel eyeliner because I didn't understand how the heck I could just paint it on my eyes gingerly (note: I have very shaky hands sometimes and eyeliner has always been an issue).

However, I have found that this stuff is pretty easy to apply with an angled, flat eyeliner brush! The consistency is great, pigmentation is out of this world, and you get a large amount of product for 3 dollars.

Also- it lasts SO well, even though I don't think it's marketed as waterproof.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/20/2014 2:24:00 PM More reviews by upinspace

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Sososo amazing for the price. I actually prefer it wat over my mac fluidline and smashbox.

Its quite a thick creamy consistency, I really find it similar to the Bobbi brown gel eyeliner. (I prefer the bb one a touch more because it has a nice finish) Its matte and black and just so good. Its pretty water resistent and will not budge on me. Lasts all day, nothing is faulting really. Easy to work with and doesn't flake and all that.

100% reccomend!!!! I got it at Ulta for ~ $4.