October 23, 2014 | 1912 users online

Eyeliner - Essence - Gel Eyeliner

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 on 10/23/2014 3:49:00 AM More reviews by Tashy1212

In my opinion, it's not easy to find a great gel liner. In order for a gel liner to be considered great or excellent to me it has to meet the following criteria: 1) Smooth consistency. Not too thick or thin. 2) Easy to work with and doesn't tug on the skin. 3) Opague. 4) Smudge proof/waterproof. The price range can vary as I am willing to spend a bit more for a good product that does what it's supposed to do and does it well. This drugstore liner definetly checks all the boxes for me and the fact that it is $3.99 is a mega mega bonus!

You get 3 grams of product, the same amount you get in a jar of the Maybelline Eye Studio. I have noticed in my experience that black is the hardest color to perfect in a gel liner. Browns, burgundys, greens etc seem to keep their smooth texture longer and black can tend to turn clay-like more easily and in a shorter time. However, this Essence eyeliner has kept it's creaminess longer than any other black gel liner I've tried. I'm about a third of the way through this jar and it still glides on as smoothly as the first day. I honestly have no reason to go out and spend high end prices or even $9.99 for the Maybelline one when this little guy knocks them all out of water!

It is definetly an under the radar hidden gem at the drugstore that more people should know about. That is probably due to the fact that only a few places sell Essence like Ulta and Fred Meyer. This is by far my favorite product from them and regardless of where they're sold, I'll continue to go back to it (so long as they never change their formula). A brown and perhaps a charcoal would be fabulous too. :-)

Side note; The first time I tried this, I had gotten a jar that was partially dried from the get go (it was the first one I grabbed, so I recommend going for one further back on the shelf) and it led me to believe this liner was just a drying, tugging mess. Well, I was very wrong. It wasnt until I figured out I had a bad product that picked up a different jar and the difference was incredible! I was from then on a firm believer in this gel eyeliner. So, beware of jars that may have been opened. The one and only downside to the packaging itself is that there is no plastic wrapping around the cap when you buy to guarantee that what's inside is fresh and sanitary, so beware of that before you purchase. With that said, I wouldn't worry too much about it being unsanitary because more than likely people aren't walking down makeup aisles sticking their fingers in a jar of gel liner. You can clearly see by looking at it if it's ever been touched and if so, grab a different one. Just something to be mindful of.

5/5 for sure.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/2/2014 12:52:00 PM More reviews by kileylovescake

I was always scared of gel eyeliner because I didn't understand how the heck I could just paint it on my eyes gingerly (note: I have very shaky hands sometimes and eyeliner has always been an issue).

However, I have found that this stuff is pretty easy to apply with an angled, flat eyeliner brush! The consistency is great, pigmentation is out of this world, and you get a large amount of product for 3 dollars.

Also- it lasts SO well, even though I don't think it's marketed as waterproof.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/20/2014 2:24:00 PM More reviews by upinspace

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Sososo amazing for the price. I actually prefer it wat over my mac fluidline and smashbox.

Its quite a thick creamy consistency, I really find it similar to the Bobbi brown gel eyeliner. (I prefer the bb one a touch more because it has a nice finish) Its matte and black and just so good. Its pretty water resistent and will not budge on me. Lasts all day, nothing is faulting really. Easy to work with and doesn't flake and all that.

100% reccomend!!!! I got it at Ulta for ~ $4.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/12/2014 4:34:00 PM More reviews by brigwij

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is my first review on makeupalley bc I'm usually too lazy to rate products, but I can honestly say this is one of my fav products by far!! I used to use ELF's cream eyeliner but that would ALWAYS SMUDGE and get all over my eyelids. Unlike this eyeliner! This essence eyeliner is a miracle---I have super oily eyelids and it does not even transfer after 8 hours. It's worth it to buy the eyeliner brush too. The total comes out to 6 bucks. Just buy it!

P.s- when I went to buy it at ULTA most of the ones in stock were dried out, so make sure you inspect them before you choose the one you wanna buy!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/5/2014 9:12:00 PM More reviews by cheesedippable

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I find that it applies best with a small angle eyeliner brush, like the sigma e65. The brush tip kind usually causes the gel liner to streak on me, resulting in having to go back again and again to build up the opacity. Otherwise, I feel like I've had this forever and I'm still less than halfway through the product and I use it almost everyday. It does not budge, although recently, I've looked in the mirror at the end of the day and noticed small flakes. I think it's the result of the liner being on its way to drying out. But I've had it for so long and I know that gel liner tends to do that after a while. This one just seems to last longer than the others in terms of not drying out. I would definitely recommend getting it!

rated 1 of 5 on 9/3/2014 8:35:00 PM More reviews by xoJemz

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

Did I get a messed up jar? I had high hopes for this Essence gel eyeliner and omg it was a HUGE disappointment. It was dry the very first time I used it and so it did not come out opaque at all! I tried to work with it by wetting my eyeliner brush then just going over a line 2-3 times to make it blaaack because hey, it's like $3 so why not try to work with it. I was going to deal with that since my fave eyeliner got discontinued (Physician's Formula Shimmer Strips, Custom Eye Enhancing Gel Creamliner for brown eyes [$10-ish]) BUT the Essence eyeliner would flake off my eyelid! Wtf!? PF (Physician's Formula) was the first gel/cream eyeliner I've ever tried and I fell in love with it (just the black one - not so much the other colors) and it never flaked and it was creamy in the jar... so Essence was the COMPLETE opposite.

I tried the Rimmel one and thank god I found it. It surpasses my great experience with Physician's Formula. The Rimmel one is around $5, so $2 more than a crappy Essence eye liner? So worth it and still very cheap for a gel/cream eyeliner that WORKS!

rated 4 of 5 on 8/21/2014 6:23:00 PM More reviews by lenazheng

Delivers a solid, clean line. The color is extremely opaque. After it quickly dries over 30 seconds, the eyeliner does not smudge! Only bad thing is that with time, the product can dry out. Great eyeliner for its price

rated 5 of 5 on 7/15/2014 10:02:00 PM More reviews by laurenheartsmakeup

This product is so underrated! It's sitting in the corner of Ulta waiting to be noticed. Try it out. Way better than Bobbi Brown or Maybelline. It's only two bucks.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/14/2014 8:25:00 PM More reviews by chloemorris

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Brilliant eyeliner! It has permanently replaced my MAC fluidline. It holds up well, doesn't smudge or transfer to my bottom waterline and is a black as it gets. I feel stupid for having wasted so much money of MAC's product when this was sitting in my local pharmacy for a fraction of the price. I think word has gotten out about how amazing this eyeliner gel is, because I haven't seen it in stock recently. I also purchased a their eyeliner brush and it has been equally as wonderful. The pair help achieve the perfect thin winged eyeliner.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/10/2014 4:37:00 AM More reviews by lcagcaoili

I love this product! Itís creamy, smooth, lasts the whole day, smudgable but it sets and itís just a beautiful beautiful true black. Itís not streaky or anything and you can use an angled or a fine tip brush. For the price, thereís really nothing more I can say. This is so worth the money, guys. Try it!