October 23, 2014 | 2154 users online

Mascara - TheBalm - Cheater

rated 2 of 5 on 9/5/2014 1:26:00 AM More reviews by Nurhidayah

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Brown

Bought this mascara because the packaging was cute and had a $5 off voucher for the balm cosmetics and I regretted it. Should have purchased other products instead. I love mascaras and this mascara was nothing special.

Price was too expensive for what it does. Does not give me volume or length. I naturally have long lashes and I wanted it to give me a false lash effect but it only blackens my lashes. Does not even curl my lashes. I live in a hot and humid country and this mascara smudges on me about mid-day at the ends of my eyes where my lashes are the most longest.

I use this mascara when I am lounging at home and there are guests visiting or when I am out to run a few errands. It has the mascara smell to it and could smell it when I pull it out of the tube.

Overall, this is an okay mascara. I will never repurchase I run out or lost it. There are other mascaras out there that offers a better quality at the same price.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/24/2014 7:40:00 PM More reviews by billie999

Not sure how to rate this.

It is pretty pricey, about 18 dollars as opposed to many drugstore brands like Maybelline which are equally as good that run at about 5 bucks. The mascara worked amazingly well at first. 2 weeks later it is dried up and lost the effect it once had. I cannot tell if I just happened to buy a dud mascara, or if it is just how this particular brand is. Given the fact that it is so expensive and dried up so damn fast, I will not buy this again.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 10/12/2013 2:34:00 PM More reviews by Ancatje

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Fine Eyes: Hazel

What? People actually like this?!
This does nothing for my lashes (with ok length and fullness).
The wand is one of those "typical" mascara wands, not rubbery, just a classic meh mascara wand. The formulation is quite dry, so this won't last you very long, and means building this up is a no-no. The colour is not as jet black as I would like.
The effect it gives is, some would say "natural". I would say "crap". Natural would mean still defining my lashes and making them nice and curly, like a sort of my-lashes-but-better effect. Not with this mascara! No curl (and mascaras generally hold a good curl on me!), barely any definition, no volume or length. At least it doesn't clump my lashes together, but that's the only good thing I can say about this one.
I suppose to each its own, but in the bin this goes.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/14/2013 8:43:00 PM More reviews by liz48170

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Kinky, Fine Eyes: Hazel

This is a TOP NOTCH mascara. It is a softer look, but you can build it up if you want to.

The only reason I would not run out and re purchase is price; I am trying to get into the lower cost Mascaras to save some $$$ as you throw away this every few months and hardly use much of the product

The want is great - gives a nice feathery soft look

Dark black -- not overpowering

No spider lashes ...

rated 4 of 5 on 3/26/2013 4:52:00 PM More reviews by bronteisabella

I got this in thebalm "Oh So Witty!" set and I love it! It isn't a real heavy mascara, so like other reviews say it is great for daytime because it looks more natural than a "volumizing, lengthening" mascara. I have other mascaras for those purposes. And it doesn't clump!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/5/2013 1:24:00 PM More reviews by Aishteru85

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

This is a mediocre mascara for me, gave my Asian-thin sparse medium length lashes a good definition. It separates my lashes well but gets clumpy after two coats. The formula isnt too wet nor too dry. Gives a slightly added volume for a natural look. Smudges badly on my oily lids after 5 hours. I prefer mascara that gives me vavavoom lashes, this isnt it. Finishing the tube and will not be buying again. I prefer my Rimmel Volume Effect Mascara much much much better and that one is dirt cheap...Will I recommend? Unless you have non-oily lids and are looking for natural lash-effect, look elsewhere..

rated 4 of 5 on 1/1/2013 8:29:00 PM More reviews by bexidaisy

I love this product as a daytime mascara, or as a 'base' for a much heavier one to be applied too.

This doesn't clump at all, and in two coats it looks very nice with a natural eye for work or school or shopping.

It isn't dramatic enough for me to wear at night time, however, because it doesn't clump at all, it is the perfect base for my heavier mascaras, like diorshow, lights camera lashes and YSL shocking. It really helps them with clumping issues and makes them last longer.

The packaging is okay, but the paper sticker is peeling off which is irritating.

Overall, I would buy this again, and I plan on repurchasing this when I next see it.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/3/2012 8:40:00 AM More reviews by Kfunk

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

This is one of the worst mascaras I've ever tried. I've been using it a few days and it's going in the trash. The brush is awful and does not coat my lashes with hardly any product and added no length or volume. Others have compared this to Maybelline Full N Soft which I completely disagree with as Full N Soft is one of my all time favorite mascaras.

rated 2 of 5 on 7/12/2012 5:07:00 PM More reviews by brandi9689

Age: 44-55 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Like everyone else, this mascara was included in a kit I purchased from Marshalls. I am sad to say that I am not a fan of this mascara. The brush is really big and hard to work with. Also, the mascara dries really quick so you have to work fast if you want to apply more than coat. All the other Balm products I have tried were awesome but this was one was sadly disappointing.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/26/2012 8:38:00 PM More reviews by Cailee

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

This is an okay mascara. I'm a sucker for anything by this brand, and was hoping to love this. I found this in a set at TJMaxx, including a makeup remover balm tin and two eyeshadows. The set was $12, I believe? I have to give them MAJOR props on the packaging execution, though, because it is too stinkin' adorable! It's Old-Hollywood glam-style art all around the tube.

*Ahem* now, on to the actual review, yes? Ok, I find this to be a drier formulated mascara, which I do like, but there's not much time for more than two coats, because this dries so quickly on the lashes when applied. So you do have to work fast if you want to build up more coats, which is unusual for me. It gives good, clean definition, and makes my lashes look nice, glossy and black. But, separation of lashes could be better.... Amount of length with this could be a little better.... Amount of volume with this could be WAYYY better. So basically, everything could be better. There's just not enough impact for me. I'm not saying it's bad, but I just prefer my trusty $5 L'Oreal Voluminous Carbon Black. Nothing compares to it.
I wear glasses, and 'Cheater' doesn't clump, flake, or smudge at all on me. It holds a curl quite well, and my lashes don't look or feel lopsided or brittle as it wears. No spider-lash effect with this either, so big ups to that. The brush is very basic, nothing special. Overall, not a product to write home about, but still a nice natural-looking mascara to use if you're wanting the focus to be on the artwork on your eyelids, and not having the distraction of a full, thick fringe of lashes hiding it. :) I'll give it a 3.5.