Chanel Les 4 Ombres - 33 Prelude

4.7

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine

$61 at the time of writing.

If youíre cool toned (Iím nw20-25ish, hazel-green eyes and require muted colors) and want *one* do-it-all quad, one workhorse that is suitable for absolutely every life situation, Prelude is itÖand beyond that, itís just absolutely gorgeous. Itís my only eyeshadow anymoreÖthat might be a MUA sin, I know. (Ok, I own one pot of MACís Satin Taupe, but itís been buried somewhere deep inside my train case for who knows how long now.) Itís obvious Iíve never been into loud or complex eyeshadow applications: a well crafted smokey eye is as complex as I get with eyeshadow, and Prelude delivers: from a light, buttery ivory suitable for fresh faced looks, a shimmering taupe and medium grey which are beautiful, effortless, chic washes or crease colors, to a sultry smokey dark brown, for a dark smokey eye or as a liner. This is the quad you should take on vacation with you if youíre trying to decide between your hundreds of options.

Thereís shimmer in each of these colorsÖbut not shimmer than anyone should shy away fromÖitís shimmer that it seems only Chanel can do right: sophisticated, subtle and absolutely gorgeous. This wonít make your eyes look crepey. I feel like the shadows are soft and nicely pigmented for the non-MUA consumer (which I am), and all the colors, with exception of the darkest, you can apply with ease, not worrying about loading too much on your brush at the start and without fallout. The shadows blend nicely and easily with a brush (skip the worthless sponge tipped applicators these quads come with). Lasting power is slightly above average: all shadows eventually crease on my oily skin as does Prelude, so I always use a primer.

Love it, and will have it until Chanel decides to discontinue.

Skin: Normal, Tan, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Other

This is the perfect palette for a smokey eye. When I wear this I want my eyes to be smokey everyday. Formula is great and pigmented. Packaging is elegant. Love CHANEL compacts.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

This is my all-time favourite eyeshadow palette! The colour combination is fantastic and it “sculpt" the eyes like no other. It's a taupe lover's dream. Just make sure you get the US version cuz the texture's a million times better than the baked one.

on 8/16/2013 12:13:00 AM

So I love a really good, chic but natural looking palette that I can wear during the day and not feel like I look made up. And man oh man, this is it for me. I have searched for years for something like this. Prelude is a taupey, minky brown palette that isn't heavily pigmented so you do not have to worry about holding back when you apply. It blends beautifully and is just very flattering if you have fair to medium skin with any color of eyes. I have medium/fair skin with golden pink undertones, and green eyes, brown hair. This quad really works well with my features.

I wear the two colors on the left of the quad. The bottom left all over the lid and then the top left in the outer V, as well as along the lower lash line on the outter 2/3. And then to really make this look wow, I do a red lip. I copied this look from the amazing Lisa Eldridge. See

if you want to copy it too.

This is something I will wear every day and for night, I'll probably go to Illusoire or Eblouis for a smoked out eye. Or I think Prelude with the darkest shade on the lid and a little dab along the lower lash line could be a great smokey look. Haven't tried that quite yet but I will.

Anyway, if you like natural colors and you want to look like you but just a bit more polished, this is the quad for you.

I am absolutely addicted to Chanel and this by far is my favorite find. If I had to throw all my eye make-up away and only got to keep one thing this would be it, hands down.

on 10/19/2012 1:37:00 AM

I like this palette. It is not my absolute favorite, but I agree with the reviewer below that said this is perfect for an office look. It is a very easy palette to reach for. The glittery shade is not like night clubbing mega glitter, it is actually a very fine shimmer barely noticeable unless one is looking closely. I found the palette has minimal fallout. I have a neutral skin tone and this palette leans cool on me, so wearing these really requires a blush and lip that lean cool as well. They are not extremely cool shades, but I would think a very warm toned person may not like this palette. I would purchase again, the shadows are good quality. They do crease a bit with a long day's wear, but a shadow base does help to mitigate this a bit.

on 9/28/2012 2:05:00 AM

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

I imidiately thought that this a a beautiful palette, when I first saw swatches online, but I hate the fact that Chanel bake their shadows for European market, which eventually results in poorer color payoff. I wasn't going to buy it, untill I can get to the US and buy the square formula, but I swatched it in the department store and being quite happy with the prigmentation, decided to give it a try. It is beautiful on my fair skinned complection with blue eyes. I cannot wait to play with it more and try some more intense nigh-time looks.

on 8/16/2012 2:16:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

My first Chanel eyeshadow was the quad Dunes. I like it however I couldn't make it to show up on me. I'm NC 25. I also have the Kaska Beige but for some reason I am not crazy about it. I decided I won't buy any Chanel eyeshadows anymore. And then I had been reading all the raves about Prelude so I decided I to try it. I swatched it at the store but it would not show up on my arm. The SA said it would so I went ahead and bought it...well the rest is history. Gorgeous, gorgeous! I actually prefer Dior eyeshadows over Chanel but at the moment this is my favorite quad. Perfect neutral during daytime and you can intensify the color for a perfect smoky look at night.

on 8/10/2012 9:38:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

This is a great cool-leaning, neutral quad from Chanel--a real classic. Although this may look the best on those with cooler skin tones, those with warmer skin tones can also pull this off. But if you are a pale/fair-skinned person with warm undertones, this may look a little muddy on you--that is actually the case for me; can look ashy on me. Therefore, even though I love this quad, it tends to get a little overshadowed by my other eye shadows and quads that are slightly warmer (but not too warm--warm eye shadows can look unflattering on me as well...I think being fair attributes to this).

on 4/25/2012 5:23:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Not Sure

LOVE LOVE LOVE!! I couldn't be more happier with this palette. I was walking around town then stepped inside one of the department stores and saw this! I think this can create those sexy/sultry Eva Longoria looks! =]

on 3/3/2012 1:27:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I should have really learned my lesson a long time ago already - Chanel eyeshadows crease on me, especially the darker colors! Well, I couldn't resist this palette. It's a really pretty neutral, leaning cool, palette and it's so easy to create a perfect neutral elegant "office" look with it. I think eyeshadows from this palette are easier to apply than the ones from their other palettes, yet there is quite a bit of a fall-out from them! So, conclusion is that I do like it a lot and use it often but I will do my best to stay away from Chanel next time (unless they come out with another fabulous product :))) ).

Video Reviews & Tutorials

Lisa Eldridge on CHANEL Rouge Allure Red: How to do the Perfect Red Lips by CHANEL