August 30, 2014 | 1811 users online

Treatments (Face) - Philosophy - Miracle Worker Dark Spot Corrector

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 10/4/2013 9:15:00 AM More reviews by alison_k

I didn't know that this was a tan color until I saw it...I thought I had a bad batch! Then I read some reviews on this product and realized that this color was normal. When I apply this, it does dry to an awful dark brown color so I would advise on wearing this only on nights you intend to sleep alone! But then I do apply this quite thickly on my dark spots rather than a thin layer all over so that could be the reason why it dries so dark.

For reference I have two huge age spots on my forehead, one is about 1/2" diameter and the other is about 1/2" wide and 2" long, both are very visible. I have been trying desperately to get rid of them for a long time (I have done many reviews on different products) so thought I would try this one. My skin is dry on cheeks and oily on nose and chin, with my forehead being only slightly oily.

I bought a deluxe sample size from eBay rather than having to pay for a full sized item. I don't like to waste money on things that may not work, so by trying sample sizes I can see if it will cause an allergic reaction/breakouts without the rest of the bottle going to waste if I have an adverse reaction.

I broke out mildly on the areas I applied this, but it wasn't too severe (and I do apply a very thick layer so that could be the cause of the breakouts). This made no difference whatsoever to my dark spots after a very lengthly trial, several months. Not even a slight change. Sometimes my dark spots even looked darker but I think that effect was dependent on the lighting wherever I was standing at the time. I was so disappointed as I believed that the mix of beneficial ingredients in this product would be the solution to my problem. So I now have to find another product to try in the hopes that the next one will work.

Definitely wouldn't buy this again and don't recommend buying a full size if you have never used this before.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/1/2013 5:09:00 PM More reviews by Sasha58

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have rarely used a product that did so little. I applied it faithfully, night after night, until the bottle was empty, and it had absolutely no effect on my dark spots: they didn't fade one iota. Maybe you have to use it in conjunction with the pads to get results, but I'm not going to spend the money to find out -- I've lost hope on this one!

rated 2 of 5 on 5/3/2013 12:44:00 PM More reviews by Overload

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

I have combination to oily, acne-prone, Indian (NC44) skin. All my blemishes leave scars on my skin, that are significantly darker than my skintone. I also suffer from hyperpigmentation around my mouth and chin.
I have tried many different dark spot correctors over time, and Philosophy is another one that did not work for me. I decided to pick it up because it was raved about on Paula's Choice/Beautypedia, and it had a high dosage of niacinamide, which is a good skincare ingredient with lightening properties, that I had never tried before.

The product itself is a bit heavier than other dark spot correctors that I have used, it is less of a serum and more of a cream but still light enough to wear under a moisturizer. I think the packaging was good (opaque pump bottle) for the ingredients, and it did not break me out at all.

I used the entire 30 ml, and only used it on the parts of my face with scarring and/or hyperpigmentation, and it changed absolutely nothing for me. My blemishes did not get significantly lighter, except for very slight gradual changes, that I am almost sure are just the results of time and sunscreen.

For me this product did not work, but I've learned that skin lightening/brightening is extremely personal and has different results for everyone. You really have to find out which ingredients work for your skin. I think it is worth the try to see how your skin reacts to niacinamide, or if you are experimenting with dark spot correctors and want to avoid hydroquinone.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/29/2013 7:34:00 AM More reviews by waters2

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I bought this to fade a scar on the body, and it works great in a short amount of time! I also dotted some on a small mark on the face every other day for two weeks, and it reduce color by half. I can't imagine using this on large areas of the face, or on anything less than on the random, bad scar or mark, as other reviewers did, because it's quite emollient and find that light marks just take patience to fade, and don't need chemicals-natural or not. Love the pump dispenser, but at the rate at which I've used this, I would not buy again. There will be better products out there by the time I'm done, which would be several years.

rated 2 of 5 on 8/2/2012 1:40:00 PM More reviews by kitajenn

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Blue

Unfortunately, this clogged my pores so badly I had to discontinue use after just a week. (It did manage to lighten a stubborn post-acne mark on my chin in that short amount of time, so I'm giving it two lippies instead of just one.)

rated 1 of 5 on 7/21/2012 6:24:00 PM More reviews by sarahelaine2

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I had high hopes for this product but I had to stop using after 2.5 weeks because it was causing tiny clogged pores all on my face. I did not see any lightening, mostly due to the fact I only used it for 2.5 weeks, but it wasn't worth it to continue if my face was reacting to it. This is the only new product I introduced to my skincare routine so I am positive this was the cause of the tiny bumps.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/12/2012 6:49:00 PM More reviews by judibean

I have been using this for the past 4 months every night to deal with some sunspots on my cheeks. It has done nothing to lighten the spots. However, it does live up to its claim as a face brightener. My skintone is more even, giving me less reason to put makeup on. Hence the 3 stars. Still, I bought it for my spots, so no, I will not buy it again since it failed in that department.

rated 1 of 5 on 6/5/2012 1:22:00 AM More reviews by suukyi

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

In short, it's effective on causing acne.
I'm certain that this caused me to breakout since on my clear skin days I'd wake up with acne when I go to bed with clear skin and apply this. I've tried this as a spot treatment, and wherever I've used this I break out by the morning.
The only good thing is that it made my face shiny and looking bright by the morning and remains bright during the day, but that's it. I might as well just use makeup or a brightening moisturizer. This did not erase any of my acne marks. Also, this smells horrible, highly medicinal. The product is a strange light brown paste-like substance.
P.S. Other reviewers mentioned using the retinol along with this. I tried the retinol too (alone), and the effect on me was more breakouts.
Please go with some other brightening product from companies like Shiseido, Clarins, Estee Lauder, Origins, or Clinique. I've used all the above, and they didn't damage my skin.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/28/2012 8:47:00 PM More reviews by traxfever

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I bought this for my post acne marks. I have been using it for two months now, and it's working for me! I only started seeing a difference after a month of use but it's been working great so far. My face is not mark free by no means (Probably need procedures for that...) but I think this is will get me close to it if I continue to use it. I use two pumps all over my face and jaw/neck area where I have marks every night after cleansing and toner. My only complaint is the packaging. I can't tell how much is left and also little amount always dries around the pump area exposed to air.
I decided to try this after not seeing results with many hydroquinone products, and I am so glad I did. Little expensive but definitely a must have for me.

rated 1 of 5 on 5/16/2012 4:34:00 PM More reviews by BES

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Used this product faithfully for 5 months, morning and night, on my sunspots. Absolutely no results. I do not recommend and would certainly not buy again.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No