October 21, 2014 | 1822 users online

Cleansers - Philosophy - Purity Made Simple Mineral Oil Free Facial Cleansing Oil

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 5/10/2014 2:13:00 PM More reviews by CG1981

I wanted to try a cleansing oil and the sephora lady recommended this. You have to use it on dry skin with dry hands. I didnt feel it did anything my other cleansers didnt do, so I ended up returning this. It is not a bad cleanser per sey, it just didnt do anything for me so for $25 i returned it. Also, it does not have a pump which is needed for oils in my opinion.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/3/2014 9:34:00 PM More reviews by Victoria84

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

The consistency is thin for an oil but then again, I kind of like that..Thick oil seem to feel smooth going over the skin but this stuff still gets the job done for me. I love the scent too. Also don't forget that like with most other cleansing oils you massage a couple dabs of water onto your oiled face to emulsify the oil a bit before you completely rinse it off.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/25/2014 1:27:00 AM More reviews by FinXtin

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Other Eyes: Brown

First of all I'd like to say that I really loved this product. It was my second cleansing oil and I would buy it again. It works well with my sensitive skin and is not too difficult to wash off. The oil is thinner than other cleansing oils so it can get messy. I don't think the consistency hinders the product because it still works well with removing makeup.

It is especially great with removing eye makeup and waterproof mascara. I barely touched my eye make up remover while I had this product in use. I especially like how this cleansing oil does not turn my eye-sight foggy after use like other oils.

The only thing I do not like is the fact that the product did not come with a pump and since you have to pour it into your hands it can get messy if you pour out too much and you might end up wasting product.

Due to my current living situation I have to cut back on spending where ever I can so I will not buy this product for a while, but if money was not an issue I would buy this again instead of a cheaper not so great alternative.

!!!IMPORTANT!!!
I know another reviewer mentioned this but it is worth mentioning again. While using this product make sure you use it with dry hands. The product will not function properly if hands or face are wet with water.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 2/5/2014 5:51:00 AM More reviews by crazysexycoolchick

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I'm a huge fan of cleansing oils for my acne prone combo oily skin. I honestly don't know how I managed before discovering them. I like to wear a very full face of makeup and oil cleansers are the only thing that removes it without scrubbing and/or tugging. I've used quite a few different kinds of oil cleansers and this one ranks near the bottom in terms of value.

I don't care for the consistency of this cleanser. To me, it feels too thin and liquidy. I would be willing to overlook this if all other aspects were sound. However, it also doesn't rinse off as cleanly as I would like. Add to this, poor packaging (cleansing oils NEED a pump) and a $25 for 5.8oz price tag, and you end up with a product I'll never buy again.

There are Japanese drugstore cleansing oils that perform about as well, but that are substantially cheaper in price and come with a pump. My favorite cleansing oil, DHC Deep Cleansing Oil, is about the same price per ounce as Philosophy's Purity Made Simple Cleansing Oil, but performs way better and comes with a pump. Other comparably priced cleansing oils I like include Boscia's and Origins'. Incidentally, I got so fed up with Purity's pour bottle that I transferred the remainder into my empty Boscia pump bottle.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/23/2013 8:43:00 PM More reviews by giginicole

I really enjoy this product. It is expensive, which comes with the label and quality of the Philosophy brand. This feels gentle on the skin and the eye-area yet really targets my makeup and does an excellent job at breaking it down. Makeup remover or wipes alone are not enough; an oil-based product like this one is crucial to entirely remove your makeup. I review this product in my skincare routine. If you'd like to see my detailed thoughts on this product, among other skincare items, feel free to watch:

rated 1 of 5 on 5/25/2013 9:44:00 AM More reviews by Overload

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

The Philosophy Cleansing Oil comes in quite a big bottle (174 ml) and it isn't crazy expensive for a cleanser IMO (€ 20). The oil feels like any other oil, except maybe a bit lighter. You're supposed to massage the oil on your dry skin, to remove make up and cleanse your skin, and then rinse of with water. When rinsed of with water, the oil turns into a milky substance and you can just wash your face with water and your skin will be clean. You can't mix this cleanser with water, or use wet hands to massage the product on your skin because it will turn milky instantly.

I have oily, acne-prone skin (varies from normal oily to very oily at times) that can be sensitive as well. I wear a full face everyday I have to go outside, which includes sunscreen, concealer and powder foundation. I bought this product after reading tons of people saying that you should fight oil with oil, so I figured I should use a oil cleanser and see how this oil would work with my already oily skin.

I used this product in a double cleanse method, in which I first removed my make up with this cleanser, and then double/deep cleansed my skin with a gel cleanser (Clarins). I did this because I always double cleanse my skin because I wear a lot of make up, and because I didn't think the oil cleanser would be able to remove my make up and cleanse my skin.

Initially I loved the feeling of removing my make up with oil, it seemed to work well and it left my skin clean and soft. In the period I was using this I was already suffering from some inflammation, bumps and acne and all that continued while still using the Philosophy oil cleanser. Obviously, fighting my oily skin with an oily cleanser was not really working for me, but also not completely against me.

When I finished this cleanser, I decided to NOT double cleanse anymore with oil and just use a gel cleanser, and my acne and inflammation improved significantly. Oil cleansing just doesn't work for me, and even though this cleanser does not have mineral oils, I think it definitely contributed to clogged pores. That is why I wouldn't recommend it to anyone, especially not to anyone with (very) oily skin. If you really want to try this, I think it's a good one because there is no mineral oils in it, but I would definitely research the subject and test your skin with oils before you buy it because I am now convinced oils don't go well with oily skin for me.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/28/2013 10:44:00 AM More reviews by cpagirl

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I bought this stuff to take off a strong sunscreen. I went into Ulta looking for a oil cleaner and the assistant immediately brought me over to this stuff. She said that people that use stage makeup use this to remove really strong powerful makeup. This stuff works awesome! I love it. Smells great, a little goes a long way and it works REALLY well. It removed my mascara quick! I don't use waterproof. I love it. This will be in my regime going forward no matter what kind of ss I use. Good stuff!!!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/23/2013 10:10:00 PM More reviews by rlsadc

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I have been using the standard Purity for quite some time. I have very dry skin due to a medical condition, and have a hard time keeping my face hydrated. I use my Mia after this oil and it works really well. This melts mascara off my face like nothing (I wear waterproof) and doesn't irritate my very sensitive eyes. It plows through make up with very little effort, and I dont find much on my Mia brush head. It doesn't dry my skin out, but also doesn't leave a oily or greasy after feel.

I hate the bottle. I wish it came with something a bit more controlled to dispense it, like maybe a pump?

Anyway, this is my go to cleanser. Love it.

rated 2 of 5 on 1/1/2013 7:54:00 AM More reviews by PremierT

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Dark, Neutral Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Brown

The packaging for this cleansing oil is a disaster, because of the pour bottle the thin oil is difficult to control and if you want to add more product to your face you have to pick up the bottle with slippery hands. This smells just like the whole Purity range, that nice vaguely botanical but clean scent only in a very muted form. I can barely smell it at all while using.

This is the thinnest of all the cleansing oils that I've tried and so the oil spreads well and if it gets into your eyes it causes only a little of the cloudy vision thing (common to all cleansing oils) and blinks clear in seconds. But it feels thin and cheap and has none of the luxurious and smooth texture that converted me to cleansing oils in the first place.

Getting rid of my wp mascara with this cleansing oil requires more rubbing and causes more friction that any other I've tried - again because it is so thin, but it will remove it. And if it gets into your eyes it stings, not badly but its the only oil I've tried that stings at all so that put me off immediately. It emulsifies completely with the smallest amount of water - good if you're bare faced but not so great for removing makeup. In order to perform a decent cleansing massage and get my makeup off completely I have to use twice as much of this oil as I do with other brands.

I can't wait to finish the bottle and I won't repurchase when I do.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/30/2012 5:00:00 PM More reviews by Anya1976

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I've had a sample size of this forever and just started using it to remove my waterproof eye makeup. I use coconut oil for the rest of my face but this works better on my eyes. Waterproof eye liner and mascara just melts off. I love it. I will be buying a large size.