Yves Saint Laurent Volume Effet Faux Cils Shocking Mascara

3.2

on 2/17/2015 7:02:00 AM

So bad I had to write a review - this expensive mascara doesn't live up to its price. I bought #8 because I'm always looking for non-black mascaras that aren't ginger-brown either, and loved the battle-ship grey with a bit of a gleam.

But it makes a terrible clumpy mess. My eyelashes stick together so, like another reviewer said, it actually looks as though I have fewer, spindlier lashes - the opposite of the aim! It's newly opened so it's not that air has got in - even scraping most of the product off before using doesn't help (and I can't find my lash comb).

It't so much effort to remove, even with Clinique Take the Day Off Balm, that it feels like a waterproof formula - which I never use, for just that reason. I reckon I must lose a few lashes each time. Life's too short to try further to make this work so I'm throwing it away, angry at the waste of money.

PS if it's true that this mascara has fibres in, as one reviewer said an SA had told her, I think YSL should make this info freely available. I go out of my way to avoid such mascaras and this could explain why I'm hating it so much.

on 12/19/2014 5:53:00 PM

It was given to me as a present, and I just love how it makes my lashes look thick and really black. I bought a new tube and I find it a bit pricey . But it's okay, i still love it.

on 12/10/2014 8:06:00 AM

This really is the worst mascara I have ever used.

I was left with clumps of mascara over my lashes and had to clean it off so I could go out. It really was bad. I took it back and got a replacement but it was just the same.

I would never buy this product again. I can't think how it ever got through Quality Control.

on 12/5/2014 8:53:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Warm

I did not like this at all. On the first day it just clumped my lashes so bad that it looked like I only had 3 lashes on my left eye and 4 on my right. I understand this is volumizing but it offered no separation so I had to use a metal lash comb. Ain't used that mess in YEARS! That is disrespectful of a masrcara that costs this much. Anyway, I continued to use this, it clumped every time, pieces of it ended up on my cheeks, the good news it it didn't smudge on me like volume effet faux cils but I just... I paid way too much for this to behave this way. I will not repurchase. UGH!

on 9/21/2014 4:03:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

This is my HG mascara. It provides amazing volume and lengthens my lashes to the limit. It's what Chanel and Dior claim to be, but only YSL delivers on the promise of thick, full, and long lashes. The brush needs improvement bc it makes application more difficult than it has to be bc it picks up too much product. This can cause clumping if you're not careful. But when applied correctly and carefully, it gives you the lashes you've always wished for!

on 9/20/2014 6:56:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

The first days I used this mascara were great but then I realised it was leaving stains all over the eye.
It lasts a lot to dry so you have to be careful.
I think any other drugstore mascara can work exactly the same and for a less expensive price.

on 8/12/2014 8:24:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

I have this in black. I have quite long, not thick, medium coarseness lashes.This mascara looked good when it was fresh, but as the reviewer under me, I soon got problems with the formula. This mascara began to get lumps after only about 2-3 weeks - BIG lumps. After about 5 weeks of owning this, the mascara looked like it had all lumped up - I don't think I've ever had a mascara that was this lumpy...! Also, it goes on wet and lumpy, and then flakes... Then it also began to thicken. My next problem is: the smell - this must contain a lot of fragrance - it smells really pungent, which is bad for my sensitive eyes, which begin to tear up. Probably, this was also the reason for why this smudged more on me than other mascaras do. It didn't curl well either - it actually weighed down my natural curl. I don't know what more to say. I really dislike tihs mascara.

on 7/27/2014 6:28:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure

When I first purchased this mascara, it was amazing! After 3 weeks of opening the formula started to thicken? Causing the application to become lumpy and it just looked like a hot mess. I would then always have to use a spoolie to separate my lashes and they were all starting to stick together (trying to get my money's worth out of this mascara) .....overall it just took to long to do my lashes so i had to move on lol I did receive a lot of compliments when the formula was fresh though!

Would expect something better/higher quality from YSL. This was cakes, feathery, came off in little flakes and wasn't seperating. Formula has a strong musky smell , sort of unpleasant too. I'll stick with chanel Inimitible over this.

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

This product did no-good for me. The formula is extremely wet and it clumps so bad. It is very difficult to work with, and my eyelashes looked like a mess! It also flakes a lot and weighs down your lashes SO bad, and that's terrible for someone who has straight lashes like me. It did nothing good for me and I will not repurchase again - it's a very pricey mess.