August 28, 2014 | 1354 users online

Palettes - Urban Decay - Mariposa Palette (Sephora Exclusive)

rated 4 of 5 on 5/24/2014 4:20:00 AM More reviews by milkhoney

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I really like this palette. I could also live without it. It's not a bad palette, I actually use it quite a lot, but it also has too many tiny drawbacks and not enough strong features.

First, cute metal tin but the inner carboard is flimsy, and I'm sure if you stepped on it the metal would bend. Not that it's a big risk, but something I think about, I'm wary of palettes that can't take a beating. Second, no mirror? For real? There's plenty of space to glue in a mirror, like I did, but a palette without a mirror at this price is just silly. Last, like all UD brushes this one is blah. Firm, single ended, not really ideal for placing shadows. I think a travel liner would have been a better bonus item.

As to the colors, love em! Great UD formula, and they are dark and neutral. This is more of a business look palette, an executive that likes some color would love this. It's not glittery, the shades are mostly satin and shimmer with some mattes, nothing's too loud. Infamous and Rockstar are what drew me in when buying the palette, but other than Haight (another fave) this is mostly a neutral palette for those that want some shimmer. In a cute metal butterfly tin. It's a missable palette, imo, but good for those that don't usually like UD's typical palette combinations.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/26/2013 10:36:00 PM More reviews by prettylights

I have a lot of UD palettes (Naked 1 & 2, 15th Anniversary, Vice, BOS IV, Show Pony, Foreshadow, and Wallpaper) so between those plus my singles I have a lot of UD shadows. I've not bought a UD palette since the Vice palette last fall but I've wanted the Mariposa one for a while due to Mushroom, Money, Rockstar, and Skimp. Skimp I already have in the BOS IV but it's such a great base shade I wanted a second pan. Mushroom I've been eyeing up for years and boy is it great! It's just a perfect shimmery taupe shade that really enhances my blue eyes. Money also didn't disappoint, it's a beautiful muted green with shimmer. Rockstar is a perfect eggplant-plum and I love it on the creases/outer corner for a smokey look that's not as boring as grey or brown. I'm not a big fan of Limelight - I wore it to work today and halfway through the morning realized I had glitter all over my cheeks - not a good daytime look. Spotlight is also lackluster, although it's a pretty shade it really lacks pigment and it's a rather forgetful shade. Haight is surprisingly workable for a little pop of color or a more intense shade. Infamous is the same - it looks intense in the pan but sheers out easily, which I actually like because it makes it more wearable. I think the tin is cute and sturdy and I don't worry about it opening if I throw it in my purse. I do wish it had a mirror, but I guess you can't win em all! The brush it comes with is great for on the go. I have a bad tendency to remember to grab eyeshadow if I'm running late to work but not a brush, so I've had to put eyeshadow on with my finger before. Overall I'm happy I got this palette, for $20 on eBay it was a steal for all the shades in it, and it has a great array of neutral and brighter colors.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/14/2013 1:58:00 AM More reviews by liviiflutelouu

I got this palette for a great deal on Hautelook and I am pleased with it. It comes with a nice little brush and 10 different eyeshadow shades. It's got a nice mixture of smokey golds and silvers with a few colors that really pop (Infamous, Haight). The shadow textures are quite nice and easy to blend. If you enjoy shimmery neutrals with a few bright shades, pick this up!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/10/2013 8:47:00 AM More reviews by 2ksmom

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is a lovely little palette, well worth the $15 I paid on the UD website. In fact, I will likely pick up another as a back-up or potential gift. I’m not big into palettes, as I have a nice collection of singles & duos I use regularly to create pretty much any makeup look I could want. But I am a ‘neutrals-with-a-pop-of-color’ kind-of girl, and I figured for 15 bucks this was worth a try, and I like it. A lot. The metal tin is a bit hard to open, and I was a little surprised that the eyeshadow pans themselves were as tiny as they are, but there is still plenty of product and I don’t anticipate using it all up (except for maybe a few preferred shades). There is a pretty even mix of neutrals, smokey shades, and brights, in a variety of shades (taupe, gold, brown, plum, teal, etc.). All shades have some degree of shimmer to them (which I like) but no obvious glitter (phew!, as some of the UD singles I have are loaded with glitter). The textures are smooth and blendable and long-lasting over primer. There is a little fall-out, but nothing too bothersome, and overall the pigmentation is good. I think there are endless combinations in this palette, and I am enjoying experimenting with color combinations and shadow placement, as a result. It even comes with a (decent) shadow brush. I find the packaging and color selection a little more…ahem, age-appropriate, compared to some other UD products. I am really enjoying this palette, and would definitely recommend it!

rated 4 of 5 on 5/9/2013 4:59:00 PM More reviews by Kimknott

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This is my FAVORITE palette I own!! I purchased it on urban decays website and I just think it is the most versatile, unique palette out there!! And the colors are EXTREMELY pigmented and high quality! I wore a look from this palette to prom and people loved it! I even did somebody else's prom makeup using this palette and they loved it! Worth the money!!!!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/10/2013 1:41:00 AM More reviews by UbiquityEssence

Purchased online at UD.com during friends and family sale so it was like $15? I purchased two and gave one as a gift. I love it and will use it for traveling since BOS IV is too bulky and Naked's packaging is just yucky.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/25/2013 1:50:00 AM More reviews by varduim

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

It's funny, I also bought it at the Nordstrom's Rack 2 days ago for $19. I'm always thinking about eye shadows, so when I happened to see this I couldn't resist. The shadows are very smooth, and blend really well with each other. Nice range of colors, and I agree that the shades vary in pigmentation. Overall I do really like it, and think I will use very regularly. I won't repurchase though as a palette, but might buy the single of certain shades.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/22/2013 9:59:00 PM More reviews by crystalnoir

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Holy Grail!!! In love with this palette. Found it on sale for $19 at Nordstrom Rack and it's great. I'm not one for rambunctious colours (I like neutrals) because I'm not a fan of outrageous night-time looks, but this palette is the best of both worlds. Wreckage, Infamous, and Skimp are my favourites.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/27/2012 5:45:00 AM More reviews by zaynaz

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Grey

I really love this palette, it has such an interesting, versatile range of colours and the size is perfect, it's much handier than the huge Book of Shadows volumes, but not too tiny and lightweight, like my Lancome quads.
I bought it looking forward to Rockstar and Money, but I found that the colours I really enjoy are Mushroom (which I thought I would hate), Infamous (which I wish UD would make a single of), Skimp (best highlighter ever) and Wreckage.
Money, Rockstar and Haight are all really top quality shades. Limelight has fallout issues but is so far my favourite of UD's gold shades. The only poorly performing colour is Spotlight, it doesn't really show up well on me, and it seems like it would be meh in most looks. It also includes Gunmetal, which I don't particularly like but have managed to get in the three UD palettes I own and I know it's in Naked and at least one or two others... There are so many possible looks available in this palette.
My only complaint is that there's no mirror. I like the stubby little brush, and I guess I'm a bit disappointed that there's no Primer Potion included, every other palette UD's released seems to come with one.

I love this palette so much I'm almost considering buying a backup on eBay.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/17/2012 1:36:00 PM More reviews by ilovejp

This palette is extremely versatile and is perfect for when you want a pop of colour. I don't use all of the colours which is why I didn't give it 5. The colours are great for creating different looks however and it's a good palette to have when wanting to try something different. I wouldn't buy again as I only use a few colours as a lot of the colours don't suit me.