October 24, 2014 | 1590 users online

Lipstick - J. Crew Beauty - Poppy King for J. Crew lipstick

rated 2 of 5 on 4/9/2012 3:17:00 PM More reviews by Biba71

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Just get the Revlon colorburst lip butter in candy apple. Same thing, less than half the price.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/10/2012 10:12:00 PM More reviews by mskitte

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Well I'm embarrassed to admit I gave in to the hype, esp considering I've never been a fan of Poppy King lipsticks. (Tried & while not bad, they don't even come close to the wonder that is Nars l/s.)

There were plenty left at J.Crew in SF but wtf, there weren't any testers. So I bought it based on staring at Internet pix & peering at the tube.

While it's not terrible on me (pale Asian), it does bring out sallowness. So no, I don't consider this universally flattering. Plus it's not as sheer as I was led to believe, at least not on me. It's not quite orange & not quite red either. & I really like the all out orange of Nars Heatwave (tho Schiap is still a much better bright for me). This one is just... meh.

I guess moral of the story is, try to somehow test it first. If it works for your skin tone, it could be quite pretty. But, Heatwave is still a much better orange-red.

Oh, & this shade doesn't look quite like the catalog. They supposedly use either Heatwave or MAC Lady Danger or a mix of the 2...

rated 3 of 5 on 2/18/2012 2:22:00 PM More reviews by Gauss

This lipstick started out great - I like that I can build the color, going from a subtle sheer red-orange to a brighter, more opaque shade. The color was exactly what I was expecting, and I liked the packaging. However, this lipstick started smelling old very quickly (in about 6 months!). I have much older lipstick that is still just fine. For the price, I would have expected this to last longer!

rated 4 of 5 on 2/6/2012 12:15:00 PM More reviews by Melzy323

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm Hair: Red, Curly, Medium Eyes: Green

These reviews just go to show that skin type and skin color (and the climate you live in) can make all the difference in the world.

I live in a high desert climate with very dry air - and I have dry, sensitive skin - so on me, this lipstick is quite matte and bold. And dry! Lol! I actually have to layer it over lip balm. But with all that it is long lasting on me - even through light snacking and sipping. It is a bright lipstick - it took awhile for me to get used to it - but the compliments I get whenever I wear it won me over :-). I would encourage anyone to give this lipstick a chance and try wearing it in public a few times. It's a hard shade to get used to in this time of pinky brown lipsticks and gloss but I think it's worth it. And if it's sheer as it is on most people, it won't be that obvious anyway.
EDIT: I'm changing this to won't repurchase because I'm switching to natural lipsticks. Everything I said about this still holds true though!

rated 2 of 5 on 1/20/2012 11:13:00 AM More reviews by TracyDZ

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Other, Cool Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I was obsessed with this lipstick; looking everywhere only to find that it was always sold out. My curiousity was satisfied, though, when my sister decided she didn't care for hers and traded me for it. "Jackpot!", I thought!

Eh, not so much. There isn't much "oomph" to this lipstick. I thought it would be bolder. izzybella is right; if you want a bold, orangey/red lip NARS Red Square or Jungle Love is a much better choice.

I do have to add, though, that my 16 year old daughter loves it. It does look very nice on her (blonde hair, blue eyes, olive skintone) as it appears sheer. Maybe this product is best left to the kids! :)

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/18/2011 5:59:00 PM More reviews by izzybella

After seeing this lipstick featured in Lucky Magazine a few months ago, I searched for this lipstick high and low and was disappointed when it sold out online. I was recently able to track it down at a nearby J.Crew store and grabbed a tube even though they didn't have a tester (note to J.Crew: You should put out a tube of lipstick to be used as a tester!) I have to say I'm very disappointed in this lipstick. It's supposed to be the same color as the reddish orange shade worn by their models, but it's very sheer, with a slight shimmer, and definitely not orangey red. It's a hard color to describe but it's a corally red that looks almost florescent in some lighting. I was expecting a more pigmented creme, but this is pretty sheer and feels like a gloss stick and not a lipstick. The only good thing is you can layer it for more color intensity, which is probably why J.Crew claims it looks good on everyone. It's not a bad red, it's just not the reddish orange I expected, like NARS Red Square or Heatwave. Comes in a black rubberized tube (feels somewhat cheap) and retails for $18.