September 22, 2014 | 1019 users online

Eye Shadow - Shiseido - GD804 - Opera Trio

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/6/2014 10:32:00 AM More reviews by alison_k

When I first saw this trio I thought 'how on earth can these three colors go together?' and then didn't give it a second thought as I passed over it for the Nude trio. However, after seeing some reviews and tutorials on how to apply, I changed my mind. I actually got this in a swap so I thought at least I didn't pay for this if it didn't work out.

Much to my surprise this trio works very well together. The darkest color, a khaki shot with gold is a beautiful liner color and is phenomenal when used with an eyeshadow converter liquid. The depth of color really shows up this way and the gold catches the light beautifully. The middle color, a yellow gold is more flattering that I thought, and goes on sheer but less yellow than it looks in the pan. The palest color, a pale blue, is not at all chalky like I expected and instead applies with more pigment and has a beautiful shimmer to it that is only really apparent in sunlight. I wear this either on the inner corners of my eyes, or underneath my lower lid as I saw in a tutorial.

Without the blue, the khaki and yellow are still very wearable and pretty, but the blue just adds something special to the whole look. The texture of the shadows is amazing, pigmented and soft without applying patchily.

The black compact is sleek and attractive without looking cheap, and is reminiscent of traditional Japanese craftsmanship. I can't believe I never really considered Shiseido for eyeshadow colors before, especially since I have a couple of HG products from them. I adore this set, precisely because of the addition of the blue color, and will definitely buy this again.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/14/2013 10:18:00 PM More reviews by Caramellane

Pros:
Extremely soft, creamy texture and very blendable. Finish is a soft pearl which doesn't accentuate fine lines. I love that the packaging is very compact, not bulky and no nonsense matte black plastic. The shades are very fun and not too over the top with a cool toned deep olive, muted yellow with a hint of gold and green, and a vibrant pale blue with a touch of lavender in the base.

Cons:
A little on the sheer side and lack of textural variety.

Overall, if soft buttery textures and easy blendability are what you look for in eyeshadow and don't mind a bit of sheerness, Shiseido is the brand. Plus, the pricepoint is so low considering I usually pay $60-$100 for most of my eye quads, 3 shades for $33 is a fairly good bargain. Only complaint is the shade selections with the trios and singles.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 7/31/2012 10:06:00 AM More reviews by dddoxie

These shadows crease within about 3 hours of wear. The only color that is fairly pigmented out of the trio is the olive green color. The other two I really had to pack on to show up.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/20/2012 2:00:00 AM More reviews by koushi

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Beautiful colors; just the right balance for a mix of colors that both work well together and are not too extreme or too boring. The shadows themselves are oh-so-soft, shimmery, and fairly pigmented. I like that the packaging feels luxe, and it comes with both a sponge and small brush applicator.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/14/2012 3:06:00 AM More reviews by thecharm

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Blue

Shiseido is my favorite brand for color cosmetics at the moment, and Opera is a classic example of what the brand under Page's leadership does incredibly well: unexpected combinations; sophisticated, complex shades; and amazing texture that goes on like silk and blends like luminous watercolors. When I think of Shiseido eyeshadow, this is the trio I think of. A khaki, crystalline gold, and pale powder blue... all with a soft satiny finish and hints of gold in the shimmer. They play nicely with each other, blending beautifully and looking modern, sleek and fun as a color combination. The luxe powder is so soft that you have to be careful when you apply it, but it doesn't feel overly fragile. The lasting powder is wonderful. On me, it goes from day to night over a base. I live in a tropical climate, so makeup that survives the humidity is a must. I can't say enough good things.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/18/2011 1:28:00 AM More reviews by kellieliza

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I feel like I've been looking for this color combo for years. The pale, powdery blue, golden grassy yellow and bronze khaki all work together beautifully with my yellow undertones and hazel eyes. Yet the colors are so harmonious it doesn't look like I'm wearing a rainbow. This is subtle color for a chic, grownup look. The finish is a luminous satin with no trace of glitter. I'm a convert to Shiseido.

Update: aside from the blue shade, there are similarities between this duo and Nars Taiga and Star Sailor (imagine a halfway point between them). This is way better than both of them.