blackup cosmetics - matifying foundation

3.6

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

My review is for Black Up "Matifying Fluid Foundation," $41.50 in a pump bottle. I hope I'm in the right place.

I'm so impressed and shocked.

I require a full-coverage, natural-matte finish foundation that doesn't transfer. For a year, Estee Lauder Double Wear was my only option to get that texture, but I didn't have a perfect color match. Black Up gets my skin tone perfectly.

- It goes on like a thin gel
- Dries down quickly, work in small sections
- Best tool for blending is fingers (seriously) and a big duo-fiber stippling brush
- Doesn't need to be set with powder, doesn't crease

There's a learning curve since I'm used to creamier foundations...
- It's so thin that it doesn't blur texture at all, it just conceals discoloration
- The dense brushes that I usually reach for just soak up the product and ruin the coverage

The verdict is that this is the most no-makeup and effortless I've ever looked in a full coverage foundation. It'll work perfectly at outdoor summer events.

Skin: Oily, Dark, Not Sure

I recently purchased this foundation and I in love. Truly matte and velvety coverage for deeper tones. I also purchased the powder foundation for touch ups. Great line. Either use the tool at their website to identify your colors. I actually purchased the testers to determine my colors. Intend on purchasing more now that products are carried by Sephora.

Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm

Good News! Sephora just started selling this line in their stores.

Months ago, I became aware of the great BlackUp reviews on YouTube videos. I thought that this must be an amazing product line given that people are ordering overseas via the Web without actually testing first. I was dragging my feet on using BlackUp's colormatching tools on their website and placing an actual order.

But then Sephora got the line and I'm in love! Using the Matifying Fluid Foundation now. The colors are pretty and the texture is lightweight and easy. I was matched with NFL16 with the help of a Sephora associate. Lovely red undertones given my chocolate skin! And I have a medium-weight foundation alternative now to my MAC full-coverage foundation.

This is truly make-up at its finest! Attention is paid by the makers to texture, color and overall quality.

Skin: Dry, Dark, Cool

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Coarse

Wonderful foundation! However, since you can only purchase online, finding your shade might be tricky. I would recommend buying their samples at $3.50 a pop. That's how I knew I was #8. Anywho, this foundation is definitely matte and will stay matte for about 6 hours without a touch up. I suspect it will last longer during the colder winter months. Coverage is medium to full yet the consistency isnt too thick. All in all a good foundation with a great color range for WOC. Pricy but worth it since you don't need a lot.

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Fine

- you have to order online unless you live in Europe or New York, using their foundation matching tools (which vary from computer screen to computer screen, and they only have a few MAC foundations to compare your ideal blackup shade with)

The site's Foundation Finder tool recommended FM 04 for me (I picked out medium-light as my general tone, and selected the applicable things like "oily skin" and "matte finish"), but the image on the site looked a little pale, so I ordered FM 05 as well just in case.

As I suspected, I need to wait for this line to come into stores before buying any foundations or blush shades, because the recommended FM 04 on my skin was a lot deeper than it needed to be. I swatched some on my hand and it was darker than my MAC NC 45 Pro Longwear (which is supposed to be pretty yellow but is still VERY orangey on my skin). Noticeably. The consistency of it wasn't too bad at first, but after a second use, it was like squirting oil out of a bottle. It does have a pump though. Maybe if I kept it in the freezer it would work better, but even keeping it in the fridge didn't keep it moussey.
Definitely didn't go on or stay matte. Felt like I was putting vaseline on my face and melting away. Emphasized lines, bumps, you name it.

Returned those bottles and tried shades FM01 and FM02. Both were runny, and provided (again) almost no coverage. What a waste of money for me. Probably would be great for gals with dry skin though..