September 18, 2014 | 1721 users online

Shampoo - Joico - Smooth Cure

rated 4 of 5 on 1/19/2014 11:54:00 AM More reviews by azgirl929

I have very coarse, dry, frizzy, thick, color-treated hair. Product was recommended by my stylist for my hair type. Love that it's sulfate free and safe on color. After rinsing it out, my hair felt a little oily and not clean, but remember it's sulfate free, it won't lather up, so I don't use allot anyway. Once I started to blow-dry, I can tell the frizz is tamed and my hair feels really soft. Purchased at Ulta during their liter sale, so it's a good deal. Really like the shampoo so far.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/8/2014 12:16:00 AM More reviews by Pamxo

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

2.5 ?! I got this from my hairstylist after a keratin treatment and this is really the best. She selected this one knowing my hair and asking a specialist to pick for you really does make a difference. I have fine curly hair that frizz A LOT. This reduces frizz and my hair really, really doesn't feel dry afterwards. It's so gentle and just enough to get a good clean. I don't use a lot of hair products though, just a little bit of coconut oil. When I do hair masks and put a lot of coconut oil, I have to use my pureology detox shampoo. It's also free of bad stuff and basically like this one but stronger =dry out the hair more. Those two are perfect together.

SO it wouldn't work if :
- you have oily hair
- you use tons of hair products

Amazing if :
- you have fine, curly, frizzy hair.
- you have dry hair. This isn't drying, use with good conditioner& no more dry hair.
- you just had a Keratin treatment and want it to last as long as it can!

++ The smell is really nice and fresh!

rated 3 of 5 on 10/14/2013 4:52:00 AM More reviews by RedAlex

This is the first product I tried to help relax my frizz and fluff. It was recommended by the hairstylist and said that a good hair style starts with a good shampoo. At first I didn't believe him, but after trying different products I tend to agree with him.
The new formula of this shampoo is SLS free and it has silicone, which, as far as I noticed it is a key ingredient in fighting the frizz.

My scalp is oily and since I wash my hair every other day I really need something that cleans the scalp. Unfortunately a SLS free shampoo is not it. I tried washing my hair twice and still not the desired result. Because I can't use a conditioner, I use this shampoo as one, after I give a first good clean with a regular shampoo. It seems to work better and helps with the buildup of silicone in the hair.

I am planning to buy a second bottle because I don't have a better choice so far, but I am still searching. I bet there are.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 8/17/2013 12:21:00 AM More reviews by lotusfairy

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

Meh. I decided to take a big risk and try it. I got this free when I bought two other Joico products at Ulta. It smells very nice and the scent is light. The things that bothered me the most about this is that my hair didn't feel clean, even after washing a second time as directed on the back of the bottle. When my hair dried, it felt greasy as if it had a film. My scalp was also itchy in some areas which rarely happens since I made sure to rinse well. I have used better smoothing shampoos than this and am a bit disappointed. It does smooth out some of the surface frizz I get but not entirely. It does give my hair some weight, so those with finer textures might want to avoid this. Luckily it doesn't flatten out my curls too much. Those with coarse hair may like this better. For now, I think I will pass it on to my mom to see if she likes it since she straightens her hair every now and then, but I will not repurchase.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 5/19/2013 2:25:00 PM More reviews by kwill89

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

Ickkkk!! I bought the shampoo as I'm always on the hunt for a sulphate free shampoo...well this one is just gross. My hair rarely gets greasy, it's naturally straight and somewhat thick. The shampoo makes me feel like I have to wash my hair every day, though I usually wash my hair every other day. It makes my roots greasy and my scalp itchy. It also doesn't lather well, but sulphate free shampoos rarely lather well any how. I'm super bummed that I have this crappy shampoo that was about $16. Avoid this one, there are better out there!

rated 1 of 5 on 3/14/2013 5:54:00 PM More reviews by Oleanderleaf

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Blue

Drying and frizzing. Does exactly what it says it won't

rated 2 of 5 on 2/26/2013 6:03:00 PM More reviews by seekingsolutions

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I desperately wanted this to work for me, as I have bad frizz from an old colour treatment, despite babying my hair...and I have tried so many sulfate-free shampoos to no avail. Oddly enough, this shampoo and the accompanying conditioner made my dry, curly hair frizz even worse. :(
As with all things, your mileage may vary with this product - but for me, all it did was grease my roots, poof my ends, and left fine little new baby frizzies on top of my existing frizz. Too bad, because otherwise nice scent and great, easy packaging. That's why I gave it two lippies. A tad expensive, though. I will never repurchase, obviously.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/8/2013 12:46:00 PM More reviews by blairXwitch

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

HG for when I want to flat iron my hair.
I use the whole system - shampoo, conditioner, leave-in and heat protectant spray, and it majorly reduced the damage I get from heat styling, and it helps a lot with keeping my hair sleek and preventing the frizzies.
I wrote a more detailed review for the conditioner, if interested you can read more there.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/12/2013 3:06:00 AM More reviews by blackmagicwoman

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I actually really like this stuff. I received a box set containing the shampoo, conditioner, and a small bottle of deep conditioner for christmas. My hair type is slightly unusual because I have coarse hair, very wavy/curly, but not much of it. It's annoying when people think that thick and coarse or fine and thin are the same thing concerning hair.
I have only been using sulfate free shampoos for about a year now, or even using just cleansing conditioners so I was used to it. People who complain about it not getting their hair clean probably weren't accustomed to it. It's so important though especially for long hair or trying to strengthen weak hair to use a sulfate free shampoo.
Yes, it does leave a slight coating on the hair...I don't use Pantene products because they leave a terrible waxy coating on my hair! But this I actually like because it's very minimal and is what makes my hair less frizzy.
If you have fine hair it might not be the best as it might weigh your hair down. But if you hate frizz, I really recommend this especially if you're looking for a sulfate free product. I feel like I've been shedding less since I've been using it as well. It's far better than the Matrix Biolage Smooth therapie.

rated 1 of 5 on 1/7/2013 12:51:00 PM More reviews by ShaunaTX

Ok to start off with I have wavy, fine hair that is color treated and relaxed at the ends. I bought this Smooth Cure shampoo because it was sulfate-free. Everyone seems to be on the sulfate free bandwagon so I wanted to try it. It was the worst purchase I have ever made. My hair was actually tangling up while I was using it. I did use my Bain De Terre coconut conditioner because it has a good amount of slip. I tried to finger detangle in the shower. I rubbed a pea-sized amount of the coconut conditioner threw towel dried hair and tried to detangle again. My hair broke off because it was still so tangly!! Seriously. I ended up running to TJ MAXX because I know they have alot of salon products. Luck would have it that they had some Chi Infra shampoo, Mizani Fulfyl moisturizer and some more of the Coconut conditioner....I snapped them all up and stopped at Rite-Aid to pick up some Organic Root Stimulator (ORS) Replenishing Pack deep conditioner. I wet my hair and put the ORS on it, working it into every hair. I left it for 45 mins to deep condition. I shampoo'd, used the Mizani and let it sit for 5 minutes. Then I used the coconut conditioner. I was able to detangle out of the shower and then used Organix light argan oil serum. FINALLY I was able to get my hair to feel somewhat better. I can comb it, which is alot more than I was able to do after using horrid Joico. It was my first and only try of any Joico product. I will NEVER recommend Joico brand to anyone nor will I ever buy another product from them again. Buyer beware. Don't waste your money and end up with a head of hair you can't even comb like I did.