December 18, 2014 | 1809 users online

Mascara - Shu Uemura - Ultimate Natural Mascara

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/22/2014 10:51:00 AM More reviews by joy2uandme

I was a lover of Shu Basic and mourned its loss. I almost didn't order this product based on the reviews but it lives up to my expectations. No it is not a copycat of Shu Basic but it is very close. It is a tad wetter but it still holds a curl, lengthens, volumizes, and lasts all day for me. The brush is the perfect size for my small eyes and fine but long lashes. My only quibble is that it is hard to remove so I have to take special care at night but in that respect it is very Shu Basic-like. I have had 0 flaking or transfer and I am a preschool teacher so I run, jump, play, paint and do not have time to fix my makeup. SCORE

rated 4 of 5 on 10/12/2013 9:05:00 AM More reviews by peoni

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

I had never tried Mascara Basic so I can in no way compare this mascara to that. This was the first Shu Uemura mascara I had tried, and for me, it is almost perfect. I liked it more and more with continued use. It creates length, a little volume, and holds a curl terrifically. It looks quite natural (not too natural) but it is also genuinely buildable without clumping. Water resistant too - I wore it on vacation with no problems. The only issue I have is that it is very difficult to remove entirely and I occasionally lose a lash or two in the process.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/17/2012 6:48:00 PM More reviews by hyemimoo

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I don't get all the negative reviews. Mascara Basic was my HG for 7+ years and I almost didn't order the Ultimate Natural Mascara based on the reviews. But am so glad I did. I did a side by side comparison of both and honestly could not tell a major difference. Both held a curl, don't smudge, etc. If anything the Ultimate Natural gives me more of a "doll" like effect, lengthening/fanning out my lashes even more than Mascara Basic did. This is my new HG until I find a cheaper replacement (if ever).

rated 1 of 5 on 3/28/2012 2:06:00 PM More reviews by tlmuseus

Ugh. I HATE this. I loved Mascara Basic and when I read on the Shu website that this was the 'replacement' for it, I decided to give it a try. It is no where near Mascara Basic. Ultimate Natural clumps and makes my lashes stick together and does NOT hold a curl. I wouldn't pay $ 1 for it. So sad.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/27/2012 9:48:00 PM More reviews by zapadvostok

I was a long time user of the Basic Mascara. I tried the new formula, but I don't like it as much as the original. It is more volumizing than the original, which is good. But this also means that the formula is wetter and causes too much smudging. I didn't experience much of this with the original. Very sad! It's so hard to find mascara for my wimpy, straight lashes.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 12/13/2011 2:34:00 PM More reviews by abfabjeanius

I feel bad to add more hate for this product... well, actually, I don't *hate* it... I just agree with everyone else that it is not a good replacement for the Mascara Basic.

I wasn't expecting miracles - just something that would define the lashes and help hold a curl. Based on the "Ultimate Natural" name, I wasn't looking for drama, but something similar to Mascara Basic.

Ultimate Natural didn't live up to its name. I experienced clumping, and did not have that natural definition I was looking for. It doesn't really lengthen, it only slightly volumizes, and it also doesn't curl/hold a curl. The only thing it has going for it is its dark black color, which I will give it credit for.

Packaging-wise, it comes in a slim black metal tube and has an ordinary bristle brush - nothing fancy.

Overall, boring, and not worth the $28 pricetag. You would do better with a drugstore mascara for 1/4 the price.

For reference, I have thin, sparse lashes. continued >>

rated 1 of 5 on 11/23/2011 7:06:00 PM More reviews by kavieira

Age: Unknown Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

How sad is that? The basic mascara was the best mascara that ever existed. I completely agree with every other reviewer here.Clumpier, doesn't hold the curl and it's just not natural as it claim. The basic mascara was! Had to write a review for this because I really hope shu uemura listen to their customers and bring our beloved mascara back. Please!!!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 11/6/2011 9:41:00 AM More reviews by Andee

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Like other reviewers, I am devastated. I called the 800 number before I ordered and was assured that this is only better and has all the same great qualities as Basic. This is bullcr_p. Unless I blot it first on tp, it clumps like crazy. As noted in reviews, it is not natural looking because it is not feathery. It doesn't hold a curl as well as Basic. I was an idiot and bought 2 so I could get free shipping.

rated 2 of 5 on 11/3/2011 9:00:00 PM More reviews by nlarace

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Like the other reviewer, I was a long time user of Shu Uemura Basic... All the way back to the 90's. Nothing compared to it in my book, so although I was sad when Shu discontinued it, I was also hopeful that Ultimate Natural would be at least as good, if not better. It's tough to explain what's wrong with this mascara. It just doesn't have the sexy special ju-ju that Basic had. It's wetter, a bit clumpier, the brush is a little different, and it does not hold a curl or last as long through the day as Basic did. Devastating. I have now been running through a ton of mascaras trying to find a replacement for Basic. This is hard. I have just tried Dior Show (hate it) and am moving on to Chanel Inimitable. Ugh.

rated 3 of 5 on 10/7/2011 4:09:00 PM More reviews by semolinapilchard

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Shu Basic was my HG for about six years before it was replaced by this; despite my assumption that it would be similar enough, I will be looking for a new mascara.
I can't put my finger on exactly what they changed (aside from the $.50 and packaging) but for me, it just doesn't work.

For someone looking for a natural-looking, relatively unflattering mascara which holds curl very well, you might be pleased with this. For someone looking to replace Shu Basic, I'll just put out there what I've noticed.

The texture is not the same, the results not as feathery looking. My lashes stick together in spots (it is minimal but compared to Basic, notable) and unless I'm crazy, the curl hold, while still very good, isn't quite what it was with Basic. It also doesn't layer as well; with Basic, I'd use 2-3 coats and still got a relatively fluttery, defined lash. This builds up upon itself more and gets more fibrous-looking.

Who knows, maybe I'll be the only one who is seriously let down by this.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No