Shu Uemura Ultimate Natural Mascara

3.1

isododecane, trimethylsiloxysilicate, disteardimonium hectorite, cera alba, synthetic beeswax, maris aqua, polyvinyl laurate, cera carnauba, paraffin, ethlenediamine/stearyl, dimer dilinoleate coppolymer, alchohol denat, hydrogenated polycyclopentadiene, propylene carbonate, lecithin, 2-oleamido-1, 3-octadecanediol, panthenol, allyl stearate/va copolymer, polyvinyl, alcohol, buthyrospermum park butter, methylparaben, ethylparaben, ci 77499.

on 3/4/2015 2:22:00 AM

I have had such a hard time finding a mascara that didn't irritate my eyes and get all over my face. This is the only one that doesn't make my eyes itch or end up under my eyes by the middle of the day. Super natural and subtle. I use a little bit after using the eye lash curler and it gives me the natural look I want.

on 8/22/2014 10:51:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Neutral

I was a lover of Shu Basic and mourned its loss. I almost didn't order this product based on the reviews but it lives up to my expectations. No it is not a copycat of Shu Basic but it is very close. It is a tad wetter but it still holds a curl, lengthens, volumizes, and lasts all day for me. The brush is the perfect size for my small eyes and fine but long lashes. My only quibble is that it is hard to remove so I have to take special care at night but in that respect it is very Shu Basic-like. I have had 0 flaking or transfer and I am a preschool teacher so I run, jump, play, paint and do not have time to fix my makeup. SCORE

on 10/12/2013 9:05:00 AM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Other

I had never tried Mascara Basic so I can in no way compare this mascara to that. This was the first Shu Uemura mascara I had tried, and for me, it is almost perfect. I liked it more and more with continued use. It creates length, a little volume, and holds a curl terrifically. It looks quite natural (not too natural) but it is also genuinely buildable without clumping. Water resistant too - I wore it on vacation with no problems. The only issue I have is that it is very difficult to remove entirely and I occasionally lose a lash or two in the process.

on 5/17/2012 6:48:00 PM

I don't get all the negative reviews. Mascara Basic was my HG for 7+ years and I almost didn't order the Ultimate Natural Mascara based on the reviews. But am so glad I did. I did a side by side comparison of both and honestly could not tell a major difference. Both held a curl, don't smudge, etc. If anything the Ultimate Natural gives me more of a "doll" like effect, lengthening/fanning out my lashes even more than Mascara Basic did. This is my new HG until I find a cheaper replacement (if ever).

on 3/28/2012 2:06:00 PM

Ugh. I HATE this. I loved Mascara Basic and when I read on the Shu website that this was the 'replacement' for it, I decided to give it a try. It is no where near Mascara Basic. Ultimate Natural clumps and makes my lashes stick together and does NOT hold a curl. I wouldn't pay $ 1 for it. So sad.

on 2/27/2012 9:48:00 PM

I was a long time user of the Basic Mascara. I tried the new formula, but I don't like it as much as the original. It is more volumizing than the original, which is good. But this also means that the formula is wetter and causes too much smudging. I didn't experience much of this with the original. Very sad! It's so hard to find mascara for my wimpy, straight lashes.

on 12/13/2011 2:34:00 PM

I feel bad to add more hate for this product... well, actually, I don't *hate* it... I just agree with everyone else that it is not a good replacement for the Mascara Basic.

I wasn't expecting miracles - just something that would define the lashes and help hold a curl. Based on the "Ultimate Natural" name, I wasn't looking for drama, but something similar to Mascara Basic.

Ultimate Natural didn't live up to its name. I experienced clumping, and did not have that natural definition I was looking for. It doesn't really lengthen, it only slightly volumizes, and it also doesn't curl/hold a curl. The only thing it has going for it is its dark black color, which I will give it credit for.

Packaging-wise, it comes in a slim black metal tube and has an ordinary bristle brush - nothing fancy.

Overall, boring, and not worth the $28 pricetag. You would do better with a drugstore mascara for 1/4 the price.

For reference, I have thin, sparse lashes. continued >>

on 11/23/2011 7:06:00 PM

How sad is that? The basic mascara was the best mascara that ever existed. I completely agree with every other reviewer here.Clumpier, doesn't hold the curl and it's just not natural as it claim. The basic mascara was! Had to write a review for this because I really hope shu uemura listen to their customers and bring our beloved mascara back. Please!!!

on 11/6/2011 9:41:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

Like other reviewers, I am devastated. I called the 800 number before I ordered and was assured that this is only better and has all the same great qualities as Basic. This is bullcr_p. Unless I blot it first on tp, it clumps like crazy. As noted in reviews, it is not natural looking because it is not feathery. It doesn't hold a curl as well as Basic. I was an idiot and bought 2 so I could get free shipping.

on 11/3/2011 9:00:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Like the other reviewer, I was a long time user of Shu Uemura Basic... All the way back to the 90's. Nothing compared to it in my book, so although I was sad when Shu discontinued it, I was also hopeful that Ultimate Natural would be at least as good, if not better. It's tough to explain what's wrong with this mascara. It just doesn't have the sexy special ju-ju that Basic had. It's wetter, a bit clumpier, the brush is a little different, and it does not hold a curl or last as long through the day as Basic did. Devastating. I have now been running through a ton of mascaras trying to find a replacement for Basic. This is hard. I have just tried Dior Show (hate it) and am moving on to Chanel Inimitable. Ugh.

Top Rated Shu Uemura Products