Burt's Bees Sensitive Facial Cleanser with Cotton Extract

Not tested on animals
Burt's Bees is a Cruelty-Free Subsidiary.

aqua (water, eau), helianthus annuus (sunflower) seed oil, glycerin, cetyl alcohol, cera alba (beeswax, cire d'abeille), sucrose stearate, cetearyl alcohol, cocos nucifera (coconut) oil, gossypium herbaceum (cotton) flower extract, oryza sativa (rice) extract, beta vulgaris (beet, extrait de racine de betterave) root extract, quillaja saponaria bark extract, theobroma cacao (cocoa) seed butter, yucca schidigera leaf/root/stem extract, artemisia umbelliformis extract, euphrasia officinalis extract, hamamelis virginiana (witch hazel) water, saccharum officinarum (sugar cane, extrait de canne à sucre) extract, aloe barbadensis leaf juice, silica, sucrose, fructose, glucose, coco-glucoside, inositol, maltodextrin, citric acid, benzoic acid, trehalose, xanthan gum, potassium sorbate, sodium benzoate, CI 77947 (zinc oxide), alcohol denat., phenoxyethanol.

on 8/2/2015 6:01:00 AM

I like this stuff a lot, but I'm not in love with it. I tend to use it kind of like cold cream.

Here's how I use it:
I put it on my damp face and rub it in all over. Then I rinse it off. If I had a lot of makeup on (foundation, concealer, etc.) I follow with either my acne wash or scrub on my problem areas, and then toner all over. Then I moisturize. If I didn't have a lot of face makeup on (just BB cream, or spot concealer), or if it's morning, I do the same as above, but skip the acne wash and just use toner and then moisturizer.

I've found that it does a great job at removing eye makeup without irritating my eyes like cold cream, makeup remover, and some oils do. It even got waterproof mascara off, so big thumbs up for that.

But, it doesn't do a great job of removing foundation. When I used this and just followed up with a toner, after wearing foundation, I found that there was still makeup on my face.

I haven't tried washing twice with this, like I have with cold creams, but I suspect that might help. It just seems a bit wasteful, so I tend to avoid products like that (especially pricier things like this)

After washing it off, it also feels like it's left a bit of residue behind. I don't mind that very much, but I can see how it would be annoying.

-Doesn't irritate my sensitive skin
-Doesn't cause me to breakout (huge thumbs up because I'm very prone to breakouts)
-Removes eye makeup really well and gently
-Leaves my skin feeling super soft
-If I didn't use toner, I wouldn't have to use moisturizer after this
-Seems to clean my face well as long as it didn't have much/any makeup on it
-My tube is pretty large, so I think it will last about twice as long as most of my face washes

-Leaves a residue behind (like I said, I'm ok with that, but I'm still making it a con)
-Doesn't remove face makeup very well
-A little pricey for drugstore (but that's Burt's Bees in general)

Overall, I recommend it if you have sensitive skin, and I will most likely buy it again.

on 7/24/2015 5:04:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Neutral

Did not work for my oily skin.
Did not cleanse well especially when wearing makeup.
My skin never felt clean and felt heavy or suffocating.

For my son who has very dry skin and red cheeks this did help calm the redness.

on 5/6/2015 9:02:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Other, Medium

I got this over the winter due to dryness, plus who doesn't mind less harsh cleansers?

PROS: Well, it's gentle alright. Sometimes simply cleansing makes my face a little redder, which dies down after, but this doesn't even do that that much.

CONS: It sucks at removing dirt/residue/etc on it's own. It's practically a lotion, and it doesn't easily rinse off with water... you will need a washcloth or a Clarisonic, something. It leaves my face feeling like rubbery, squeaky clean-ish, or that there is still stuff on it. It has an oil right near the top of the list and that is the reason why, I've tried a couple other cleansers that had high oil concentration and they did the same thing. I tested it multiple times 2x, and on the second cleaning with my Clarisonic, there was tons more removed. I don't really trust it to really clean my face, but I haven't had any breakouts or anything.

OVERALL: My skin has actually been looking pretty clear since I started using this, but I don't really like the non-easily removed texture.

UPDATE July 23, 2015: I'm downgrading this to a 1. It does not cleanse the skin at all. It doesn't matter if you use a lot, really work it in, use a washcloth, it's just is poor at cleansing. Every single time I have used it, like a makeshift makeup removal wipe, I go then over with my Clarisonic, and the Clarisonic gets so much extra off that it's like nothing was removed in the first place at all!

on 5/5/2015 10:36:00 PM

Although it is a thick formula, I think the cleanser is indeed great for sensitive and normal/convo skin types. It is moisturising and cleans the skin very well. After thoroughly rinsing the cleanser off, it may feel as I there is a bit of residue, however it doesn't clog your pores, instead it creates a moisturising effect. Using a toner over the top will balance your skin'a Ph levels. Burts bees sensitive cleanser is also frangrance free and has no skin irritating ingredients.
Overall, I am pleased and will repurchase.

on 1/19/2015 3:37:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I got this product, because I noticed that Aveeno products I've been using are drying out my skin and even skin on my hands after I wash my face. My face is oily, it is a fact, but wouldn't it be bad for your face if it is dry for your hands? I used Aveeno Foam cleanser for sensitive skin and Aveeno Positively radiant. Both contain SLS, which is not supposed to be good for your skin and leaves a pore clogging film on your skin as some acne sites claim. Burts Bees product claims it is mostly natural and has no sent. There are ingredients in there that are not natural still and it does have a sent. It smells like raw dough. Not very pleasant at first, but after some time you get used to it. It feels like liquid raw dough too. Maybe sounds crazy, but trying to be honest. It also says it will take off your makeup (foundation), but it doesn't unless you use it with a brush like olay prox the one I am using. Also, it says that it is noncomedogenic, but it has coconut oil and cotton oil, which are on pore clogging list. Unless it doesn't matter for face washes, because you wash it off anyway. I am not sure. Plus: It is not drying out my skin and acne gels don't burn when I put it on my face after I wash it. That is a plus.
After a week of use:
I will not be buying it again because of the smell and the consistency, but maybe that how natural products are. After a week of using this product, it made me breakout even on my chicks where I normally do not break out. It is not a product for someone with oily and acne prone skin. It is comedogenic. It doesn't take of makeup. The information on the packaging is misleading. Hope the review will help someone who is thinking about buying this product.

I wanted to make an update to this review due to changes in my skin. I use it in the mornings now and it is the only face wash that doesn't dry out my skin. I would only recommend it for someone with normal to dry skin.

on 12/21/2014 8:23:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I love Burt's Bees products usually however I'm on the fence with this one. It's about 98% all natural ingredients, no chemicals. It has a light scent, no added fragrance or anything just the natural aroma. It didn't irritate my skin. It's incredibly thick, but very easy to apply and massage onto my face. I let it sit for about 2 minutes to let it soak into my skin before I use my Clinique Cleansing Brush to wash it off. It leaves my skin feeling very soft and hydrated. But not very clean, I always feel like there's still residue. And it does a terrible job at removing make-up.

on 11/4/2014 4:51:00 PM

My skin, like many people, is normal on the cheeks but oily down the t-zone. In the past, I've tried many different types of cleansers with no real success...until last year!

I finally found one that I absolutely love last: the Origins Clean Energy Cleansing Oil. However, because the price is a bit too high for me, I've been looking for a good alternative oil-based cleanser. In general, my skin has really improved since switching to oil-based cleansers because it helped balance my skin MUCH better than any soap-based cleansers have. It's more gentle and don't strip the skin of the oil it needs. Instead, replaces it with with natural, nourishing oils.

So with all that said, onto this product. I purchased it on a whim and I'm so glad I did! I love that the ingredients are all natural.

The cleanser itself has the texture of a rich, creamy balm and washes off very cleanly. (If you're used to using foaming cleansers, this may feel a little odd in the beginning but you should stick with it!)

I like to apply a dime-sized amount and massage it all around my damp face for a couple of minutes (rubbing it into the skin and emulsifying it with the water helps it wash off later and working the product into the skin has the added benefit of "dissolving" all the oil/dirt on your face).

Overall, I would say this product is gentle, natural, and affordable. It fits the bill of what I was looking for (and I feel that it deserves a higher rating!).

on 8/20/2014 12:04:00 AM

I have really sensitive skin and after a few days of usage, the redness of my skin died down significantly. People around me were commenting as my cheeks used to be really significant. I'm really glad and will definitely purchase again! However the smell is something that one may not like but I'm okay with it. As for price wise, it's really worth it for $20 for a tube. Can get it from sephora.

on 7/31/2014 9:27:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Curly, Medium

I really enjoy using this face wash. To be fair, I have extremely dry skin...the kind that looks like a lizard molting during the dry seasons. I need a cleanser that will get my skin clean, while not stripping the oils as well. This seems to do the job. It's unscented, but does have a pleasant, natural aroma. The cream is very thick, and it is easy to spread on my face. I only need to use an almond-sized amount to wash my entire face.

My skin is usually red right after washin, but this seems to keep the redness at bay. I've used a few other cleansers that I've gotten samples of, but I haven't found anything that I like more than this. The price is decent, since one package lasts me so long.

on 4/20/2014 9:33:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

Background: I have very sensitive skin which is prone to breakouts, redness, excess oil, blackheads and reactions to products. I bought this cleanser after having a bad skin reaction from using a harsh shampoo - my skin was very sore and I wanted someone calming and gentle.

Usage: I use this product in the evenings to take off my make up before bed. I bought a large bottle from Holland & Barrett for 10 - a tad pricey but great for how much you get. The directions say to rinse it off with water but I like to just wipe it off with cotton pads before bed so that I get that extra moisturising effect overnight (this might not be good for everyone but I felt it was too drying otherwise!).

Outcome: After a few weeks using this cleanser, I really love it. It's quite thick but that is a good thing for my skin because I like the cooling effect it has. I'm so grateful to have found a product that doesn't irritate my skin!! I have only given 4 rating overall because I still have some redness and blackheads but there is much improvement from before use. I would definitely purchase this again & recommend people with problem skin to give it a try.