October 24, 2014 | 1832 users online

Styling Products - L.A. Looks Nutra Curl Moisturizing Gel

rated 3 of 5 on 10/19/2014 1:22:00 PM More reviews by Catitude

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

I've heard so much praise about this gel and after not even searching for it, I found it by chance at Family Dollar. It is heavily water-based and not as thick as its blue cousin, which is good for my fine, low-density curls. It provides decent hold and tames frizz but when I SOTC, here comes a bunch of flakes. It left a film on my hair too. It's decent but not as great as I had heard.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/24/2014 10:50:00 PM More reviews by biz23zy

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine Eyes: Blue

I feel like you just can't beat this gel for the price. My 3a, fine textured, curls love this stuff! I bought this because my other products just weren't working that well this summer. I use this gel by itself without anything under or over it and get nice curl definition and hold. The gel doesn't seem overly moisturizing, but it isn't drying. For $2.59 at Harmon's it's shocking how well it works! The only negative I have noticed is if I put way too much there is a bit of build up on my hair, but I use palm fulls of the gel and probably go a bit overboard sometimes (product just disappears into my curls, so I tend to really glop stuff on to get good results).

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/27/2013 6:29:00 AM More reviews by ayngemac

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I don't have curly hair, but as I age somehow my hair has gotten wavy. It still has a tendency to frizz as well. I picked this up thinking it would make my wavy hair wavier but actually what it does is provide volume and eliminate frizz without any stiffness or crunchiness. This is $3.99 for a big 20 oz bottle at CVS.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/28/2013 12:39:00 PM More reviews by boobiedoobiedoo

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Coarse Eyes: Brown

This is my favorite gel that I have ever used. I have thick 3C curls so I need something that lasts all day, doesn't make my hair crunchy, and doesn't dry it out either. It's great at taming frizz and it doesn't leave a lot of build up. It's also a great price (I find it anywhere from 2 to 4 dollars) and I love that its in a squeeze bottle as opposed to a jar. I'd recommend this to anyone looking for a good, cheap gel to try this.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/15/2013 9:16:00 PM More reviews by kola626

I purchased this product about 2 weeks ago. I have 3a/3b fine curly hair and I don't like to use a lot of sticky gel. I applied this gel to on top of my Shea Moisture Biotin milk. and under my Shea Moisture Souffle. This gave me great curl formation and made my hair really shiny and defined. I totally love this product the price was really cheap I spent $3 for a really large bottle which was great for the price.

the CON, it gave me shrinkage. I tried to work with the portion for no matter what I got shrinkage. Its not too bad since my hair is pretty long but I guess I will get use to it.

If after a month, I still am in love with it I will be buying at least 2 or 3 more. Usually products that I end up making them my HG end up being discontinued.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/16/2012 6:53:00 PM More reviews by violet5748

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

i LOVE this gel!!! It smells so good, and doesn't make my hair frizzy. I actually think it makes my wavy hair, curly and pretty. I wet my hair in the sink, put it in a towel for about 2 or 3 minutes, then flip my head over, spray it with Gariner Wave Shaper, and then scrunch L.A. Looks Nutra Curl into my hair. When it dries, it sorta has a wet look to it, or just a scrunched look, but my hair always comes out beautiful. I buy it at the dollar store for about well a dollar hahaha :) The bottle is HUGE too, and it lasts forever. thank god i found such a good product for such a cheap price!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/2/2012 10:24:00 PM More reviews by UrbanObsession

I was at Rite-Aid to buy my HG curl gel: Garnier Fructis curl scrunch, and it was sold out! My eyes were drawn to the big green bottle on the bottom shelf, L.A Looks Nutra Curl. Seeing as it was dirt cheap, less than $3 for 20 oz of gel, I decided to purchase. Normally, I spend $3 for 6 oz of Garnier, so this is quite the savings because you get over three times the product for the same price. Overall, it's good stuff, I like the smell--fresh and fruity, and it does not leave my hair too crunchy. However, it gives more "crunch" than the gel I normally use, so maybe I will use less next time. The definition it gives my curls is truly beautiful for such a cheap product, they look really well defined and frizz free all day! The reason why I took a lippy off is due to the "crunch" factor, I prefer a more touchable hold.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/21/2012 10:28:00 PM More reviews by saamannthaa

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

(this is poorly written. If you want the short & sweet version, jump to the bottom :)
I was at CVS, browsing the hair care aisle, as always, & I saw this tucked away on the bottom shelf. I was excited because it was LA Looks (lots of product for cheap, plus it always has good reviews) and it was for curls + moisturizing. At $5USD, I didn't feel guilty for buying 20oz of product.
It performs well: it definitely helps with curl definition and I only have to use a quarter size amount (I have thick, past my shoulders curly hair) to get it through damp/wet hair. It makes my curls look really nice, shiny and springy. The first & second day won't leave your hair crunchy, but if you're like me and only wash your hair twice a week, it will leave crunchiness in your hair + dry it out. But I feel most people use something underneath their gel, like a conditioner, & that would definitely help. I think that'll give perfect results. I did put that I would't repurchase because I have this HUGE bottle left & I'll probably be on the hunt for a better gel when I get tired of using my staples.

SHORT & SWEET: I gave this 4/5 because it does a good job of defining and holding curls, but it has the tendency to dry out hair if used alone + make hair crunchy. But crunchy can be scrunched out, if you're patient :) I recommend this product for curly haired ladies, or if you are trying to encourage curls (it does a good job of forming curls, a little too much for my liking because I already have really curly hair) :D

rated 5 of 5 on 5/18/2012 11:06:00 PM More reviews by curlyjo1

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Blue

I like this gel the more I use it. It seems to loosen my 3a cotton candy puffy curly head of hair and I love that. It definitely helps with the frizz. It doesn't dry crunchy for the most part either. My go to products just aren't doing it for me in this humid weather and I started purchasing a bunch of new products to try to control my hair. I always have this around but I didn't realize how valuable it was until the humidity turned my hair into a springing, poofy, tightly coiled mess. I'm loving this right now. I'm also very low maintenance and I can't stand the idea of more than one or two products on my hair...this is working all by itself - very very very cheap too...!!!!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/16/2012 11:03:00 PM More reviews by RtiQlitQT

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Other

While I agree that the bottle is too large to store conveniently, I do enjoy this product. While I like the old curl gel formula much better, this is not bad. I was afraid that the oil in it would weigh down my fine hair, but it does not. I don't find the scent strong or unpleasant, or the texture too thick, either. This does not have the blue tint of the old formula, which I miss, but at least this is almost clear. I don't get crunchy hair from this. It is a great medium hold gel that does the job, especially when blended with Hask Frizz Remedy.