April 19, 2014 | 1608 users online

Deodorants - Tom's of Maine - Natural Long Lasting Deodorant in Wild Lavender

rated 3 of 5 on 3/6/2014 2:07:00 PM More reviews by miludear

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I used up a whole tube and never experienced any itch or irritation like some other reviewers mentioned. I don't have bad body odor but my armpits do smell when I sweat. This product keeps me fresh for a couple of hours and I do need to reapply once or twice if the weather is humid and hot or on the days I go to the gym. Overall, just an average product. "No aluminum" is its selling point to me but I do wish it performed better.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 2/5/2014 7:25:00 PM More reviews by armaclin041584

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

This stuff is f-ing HORRIBLE! DO NOT BUY!

This crap irritated my underarms like nothing before! It was really bad and took a few weeks for my underarms to recover. I developed a rash that stung and darkened my underarms also (been applying coconut oil to my underarms every night for several weeks to soothe the area during the night).

If you check out the ingredients, I believe the culprit is ascorbic acid, other people say it is the ingredient 'zinc ricinoleate'. What ever the case is, this natural deodorant has been the worse deodorant I have ever tried (and even if the rash/burn never occurred, this deodorant left me fresh no longer than half the day.

The ironic thing about this product is that I purchased the Tom's of Maine Long Lasting Wild Lavender roll on and have never had a reaction from that one AND it keeps me fresh for at least two days without reapplying (probable the salts). So try the roll on version.

rated 1 of 5 on 1/28/2014 11:20:00 AM More reviews by TGarrigues

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I cannot find a good deodorant!!! A friend recommended I should try a "natural" "no aluminum" deodorant so I bought this stuff and I understand it'll make you sweat because it has no aluminum, but my armpits stink. There is no "long lasting" smell to this. I never even smell lavender when I put this on. The first time I put this on it made my armpits burn as well. Don't waste your time buying this product.

rated 1 of 5 on 10/17/2013 3:36:00 PM More reviews by SamanthaMD12

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Kinky, Fine Eyes: Hazel

This made me stink more!! HORRIBLE STUFF. I use the crystal ball stick deodorant now.

rated 1 of 5 on 10/11/2013 3:55:00 PM More reviews by invisiblemonstar

HATE THIS STUFF. I was trying to avoid aluminum deodorants, so I picked up this stuff. The smell wasn't what I was used to, but I wasn't put off by it. For the first couple days this deodorant was alright- in fact, I actually really liked it. It was working to both minimize smell and cut down on dampness. I also ended up enjoying the smell.
But after a couple of days things went down hill FAST. I developed a horrible rash that wouldn't stop itching- and my skin even ended up scabbing and peeling off. It was so gross. Still didn't have too many problems with sweat, but I think that was more due to the fact that my body thought it was being poisoned via my armpits.

I chucked it and waited for my skin to somewhat regain normalcy (I still have discoloration) and then switched to an Old Spice with no aluminum.

Just don't do it.

rated 1 of 5 on 9/24/2013 11:43:00 PM More reviews by Eoduinemb

I am a girl, but I used to use Old Spice deodorant in Fresh. I liked that there was no aluminum in it, and it kept me fresh throughout the day. However, my new boyfriend complained that I smelled like a 'dude.' I bought Tom's Natural Long Lasting Deodorant in Wild Lavender because it was the only option I could find that didn't have an antiperspirant mixed in. Even from the first I wasn't really sold - the smell wasn't all that great and I could tell that it would leave a residue on my clothes. But then it make my underarms burn (and I wasn't freshly shaved)! My underarms got red and it was painful. My boyfriend will just have to deal with it - I'm going back to Old Spice (which I highly highly highly recommend)

rated 1 of 5 on 9/19/2013 7:07:00 PM More reviews by LC7

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I love Tom's of Maine, I really do, but this deodorant just wasn't working for me. For the first hour it was great, but then it would cake up, and after that my odor so present it was as if I hadn't put anything on. Especially, because I am active. Hopefully Tom's will come out with something that is natural, that actually is long lasting with odor free protection.

rated 2 of 5 on 6/21/2013 4:20:00 PM More reviews by LeNatalie

This product smells great and does not irritate my underarms at all, but it just did not work for me. I would only recommend this Deoderant if you are very rarely prone to stinkyness. It doesn't fight odor very well, even when I just get a little sweaty. I don't want it to go to waste though, so I will try it again in the winter and see what happens then.

rated 1 of 5 on 6/5/2013 6:38:00 PM More reviews by Vivalakellye

Every morning, I put at least four swipes of this deodorant on under each armpit. Every afternoon, without fail, I start smelling like I've just played soccer for two hours. (This is particularly interesting, given that I work in a cubicle.) Avoid.

rated 1 of 5 on 5/14/2013 5:55:00 PM More reviews by rhema86

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Okay, I understand many people believe in using 'natural' products for various reasons--because they believe they are better for the earth, better for their health, or because they seem more special than something more readily available at the drugstore.

Now, when choosing between 'natural' (and I put that in quotes because nobody can agree on what that means except marketers--they know it means 'money') and conventional products, there is sometimes a compromise to be made in terms of scent, texture, efficacy, etc.

There is debate about whether and to what extent certain chemicals could potentially cause cancer or irritation--though of course plant oils can also be irritating (see poison ivy).

There is no debate about the fact that deodorant is supposed to make you smell good, or at least keep you from smelling as bad as you would without it. There should be no debate that a deodorant that makes you smell and feel worse than before you started is NOT A GOOD DEODORANT.

If your goal is to smell clean, you may need to choose a different deodorant product. This one will not help you meet that goal.

If your goal is not to have reddened, chapped armpits, this deodorant is not for you.

If your goal is to use a product that makes you smell like a sweaty creep wallowing in rotting compost behind a garden shed, by all means, purchase this product and enjoy. At least it is natural! But I would save your money and just sweat a lot and go roll in sh*t to get the same result for free.

Bonus tip for those who were intrigued by this product because of the words Wild Lavender:
If you are not an earthy mama who prays to the god of All Natural, and just like the smell of lavender (I can relate), then maybe you could just buy some chemically stick from the drugstore to handle your armpits and then spray on some chemically fake lavender perfume. This route includes chemicals, but it does not include skank, or money wasted on false promises. Tom's of Maine should have stuck with things like fennelly toothpaste (which is where Tom's of Maine shines) and not stuck its clean green fingers into the tricky world of armpit-smell amelioration.