October 22, 2014 | 1417 users online

Top/Base Coats - Butter London - Hardwear PD Quick Topcoat

rated 1 of 5 on 2/26/2014 10:30:00 AM More reviews by Rylan

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I had high hopes for this and I can say this is the worst nailpolish I have ever used. I bought this and a sheer color and ended up returning all three of them. Very streaky and puddled up which is bad for a sheer color. I even did a manicure twice with this thinking maybe I didn't let it dry well enough. For $55 it should look like I came from the salon. Packaging lid is wasteful. Too bad, they have great marketing but terrible product. Mineral fusion nail polish works much better.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/10/2014 1:01:00 AM More reviews by Paintedlily62

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

UPDATE:
I seem to have received a poor batch or old product because I exchanged this and it is completely different. No peeling and no chipping (1 minor chip, but I accidentally hit it on a stainless steel pan so, that doesn't count). This has glorious shine (looks like gel), stands up to food service industry battering, is 4 free and dries quickly. I love it!

OLD REVIEW:
This, unfortunately, is the worst top coat I have ever used. I painted it on this last night, took a shower this morning and it started chipping and peeling. I hadn't been doing anything to warrant this kind of poor performance.
I have tried painting it on thin, thick, on clean nails, on their base coat, on their color (Poole), covering the tips, not covering the tips, single coat and two coats. This chips and peels of within 24 hours EVERY TIME.
It's really too bad because it provides a lovely shine and I love the bottle design (where you use the lid cover to loosen the actual applicator...no more teeth marks). I hope it's just that I got a bad batch...because if not I am extremely disappointed.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/16/2013 9:40:00 AM More reviews by emisara

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is my all-time favorite topcoat. It dries extremely fast on me - it's almost dry to touch on my first nail once I finish my 10th. It helps my manicures last longer. It's super glossy. However, I got it deeply discounted on sale, and I will not be repurchasing unless I can find it on sale again, because I just can't justify the price (about 10x as expensive as my second favorite topcoat, NYC Grand Central Station!).

rated 5 of 5 on 8/19/2013 7:48:00 PM More reviews by pdu2503

I love this top coat. It keeps my nails from chipping for days even with a cheap nail polish.

rated 2 of 5 on 4/22/2013 9:07:00 PM More reviews by haight

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Green

This is a very expensive quick dry top coat. Now, if it did wonders for me, I would give it a high rating, but as it is, it isn't worth the expense - you can find quick dry top coats at a drugstore that are as good if not better than this one, for far less money. I used this topcoat exclusively for a couple of months to give it a real test drive. The butter london variety has a thin, watery consistency, rather than being more gel-like. I am pretty hard on my nails - I type a lot and also refile books, microfilm, etc., so I am always using them and get tipwear within two days no matter what. This topcoat didn't perform any better than what I had been using before, which was Revlon's quick dry top coat; in fact I got tipwear a little faster with the butter london than with Revlon or Seche Vite. It did dry quickly but not any quicker than Revlon. I got a decent amount of shine from it. Nothing out of the ordinary, though, on any count. Given how expensive it is, it is not worth the price to me. Buy one of butter london's nail polishes instead if you must, and leave the top coats to Seche Vite, Poshe, essie, Revlon, Sally Hansen, or virtually any other company.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/19/2013 2:59:00 PM More reviews by ninnu

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This is pretty standard topcoat. It adds some shine, but doesn't really prevent chips or make manicure last longer. I won't be buying this again, as there are better alternatives. I gave this one extra lippie, because it's non-toxic.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/4/2013 12:06:00 PM More reviews by micropipette

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I absolutely love this topcoat and will continue to purchase it despite the steep price. Normally, I would have been deterred by the price but, when I was stuck at the airport for 8 hours with no topcoat, I purchased it at a store that carried BL nail polish. Although I wish I could have those 8 hours of my life back, I'm still glad I found this top coat.

I've been looking for my HG topcoat for some time now, but nothing fit the bill. Poshe did try smooth or shiny enough, SV gave me shrinkage and I hated using all those chemicals. For awhile I used NailTek Moisture Balancing Top Coat, which gave me the smoothness and shine I like, but would start bubbling once I got to about half the bottle.

The BL has everything though - it's super shiny, very smooth, not super chemically and doesn't bubble as it starts to thicken. Which brings me to its only, albeit inevitable, downside...it does thicken over time, but nothing that a little thinner won't cure.

I should note that I can't really comment on chipping because I tend to change my polish every couple of days.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/10/2013 3:10:00 PM More reviews by kirbipittman

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

WHY on earth are people complaining about this?! I adore it! My nails last for days and days when I use this topcoat! Not to mention the amazing SHINE it gives my nails! Definitely my new HG top coat!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/6/2013 7:27:00 PM More reviews by lmkeane

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Y'all. BUY THIS. I was a Seche Vite girl for YEARS but the shrinkage and tipwear drove me crazy and now I'll never look back. I love doing my nails, but on MY terms...not because "I don't have time but going to work with chipped/worn polish the next day will stress me out." This stuff makes manis last almost a full week with the tiniest bit of tipwear and ZERO chips (and I'm constantly typing)! The consistency is definitely a little thin, so you have to work kind of fast to avoid drips and it probably wouldn't be good over glitter, etc. It also doesn't dry as fast as Seche, but it's clack-your-nails-together dry within about 30 minutes, which is good enough for me. I've tried it with BL Nail Foundation (came in the set) and with Nail Envy as a base with no discernable difference. Love it!!

rated 2 of 5 on 12/24/2012 1:58:00 AM More reviews by Jennbabbles

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Black

i should have listened to the previous reviews. i thought since the top coat was so expensive that it had to be good right??.... wrong. using butter london polishes and the topcoat my nails still chipped within 2 days. id rather use a drugstore top coat instead. waste of money.