August 21, 2014 | 927 users online

Fragrances - Bottega Veneta EDP

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/25/2014 1:23:00 PM More reviews by tessture

Soft nicely leathery amber scent with touches of oriental floral. Very elegant, but mostly black tie formal, and not for day wear. Just a touch too rich for summer days

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/30/2014 10:11:00 AM More reviews by Kelly9

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I smelled Bottega Veneta one day, out casually sniffing. I hadn't seen any ads or listed notes to color my impression, I just held that strip up to my nose and nearly floated through the store. What *is* this? I couldn't figure out what I was smelling, I just knew it was amazing. And different than every thing else that was new. Bottega Veneta has an old soul. A modern take on a vintage perfume. Like my beloved chypres!

When first sprayed, it is fresh like the way the air used to smell when the neighbors would do laundry back when laundry detergent smelled good. There is bergamot, and little bit of fruity plum. (It actually smells like the color of a plum, too--the thin purple outside skin and the pale peachy insides.) Then there is some suede. And a delicious, softly powdered, chypre drydown. Bottega Veneta smells smart, polished, poised, and approachable--your modern day sexy librarian scent. The sillage is present, but polite.

The bottle is adorable. It is like a little jewel in my collection. The glass is heavy, the cap is tight and solid, the little leather band that twists around the neck is secured with a tiny butterfly clasp and isn't cheap looking. The bottom of the bottle is thick with a wavy frosted texture. I ordered it directly from the Bottega Veneta site, which was a little cheaper than buying it at the department store. It was hand packaged and came in a tied Bottega Veneta shopping bag with the crinkly paper inside, very nice experience.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/8/2014 1:41:00 PM More reviews by sillage

I think you probably either have a taste for Bottega Veneta or you don't. I agree with other reviews that this is a very well-done perfume. It's a soft leather scent, basically -- very nicely done -- but it just depends if you like that particular type scent and want to wear it as perfume. It's a soft, smooth, sort of dusty/woody leather.

Here are its notes, per parfumo.net:

Top Notes: Bergamot, Pink pepper
Heart Notes: Spices, Jasmine, Plum
Base Notes: Oakmoss, Leather, Patchouli

It smells "old" to me -- as in, historically old. I feel like I'm watching a silent movie when I smell Bottega Veneta -- like I'm watching Theda Bara from a leather seat in a theater that was built 200 years ago. Or like I'm exploring a rich, regal, elderly lady's musty-dusty attic. Or some sort of museum.

Or I feel as though I'm in the library of the estate of a crusty elderly Englishman who owns hundreds of leather-bound first editions. The scent of old leather, old parchment paper, old brocade draperie -- ie, antique, historical, musty scents.

Maybe sort of a very distant cousin of Guerlain Mitsouko (which I also don't like), which is an oakmoss-heavy chypre launched in 1919 -- except that Botttega Veneta mostly features leather.

Bottega Veneta is supposed to be a modern version of a leather scent, but my problem with it is that I don't find it modern-smelling at all. It makes me feel like I've time-travelled back 80-100 years or so. It smells "sepia" -- like tintype photos -- to me.

It's elegant and very nice, in its way, and I feel like I should be a fan, but I'm not. I do enjoy soft woody scents but have never really learned to appreciate oakmoss or leather notes. Overall, this perfume smells too Old World and antiquated to me.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/5/2014 8:42:00 AM More reviews by gdriban

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

The previous reviews for this masterpiece are wonderful to read and say it all about this, my new favorite, fragrance. To me the scent is indescribable so I am glad that other reviewers have done it for me. I desperately tried to avoid buying this since the price is a bit high however when Nordies had a gift set plus an additional discount before Christmas I pounced. So glad I did--worth every penny! All other fragrances on my bureau have moved aside and are collecting dust.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/30/2013 5:28:00 PM More reviews by happylovejoy

This is so amazingly sexy. It smells like sheer fabric with the ghostly traces of womanly perfume. I can see where some say it can be a masculine scent due to the wood notes but for me it's strictly feminine as a whole. I picture a cedar drawer filled with pretty lace panties that have all been worn for 5 short minutes by a beautiful woman. They smell of warm skin, sheer fabric and intoxicating traces of light perfume. I sadly can't even recall how I stumbled upon it. Maybe when I was looking at reviews for other scents on a perfume review website... Anyway I followed the trail all the way to eBay and bought 3 sample sprays so I could see what all the fuss was about. I'm down to two and I use them sparingly because...I'm getting a Bottega Veneta gift set for Christmas!! If I run out before then...I will fret like a baby. Will not be wearing it and therefore wasting it, during that time of the month, if you get my drift.
I'd really love to tell you exactly what this smells like but it's so hard to describe. It smells dry, woody like a cedar & sandalwood blend, tangy like unsweetened fruit, vanilla-like with an added sweetwood feel in the dry down. Add some ethereal flowers that smell unlike anything you've ever smelled, sweet warm skin and a dash of clean laundry that's been rinsed in herbal water and dried in the sun...in France or Italy, and you have a masterpiece. My review is disjointed but hopefully creates a patchwork description of this unbelievable perfume. This is THE one for me. The one perfume of many that I own that I may never divulge to my friends. If they tell me I smell good, I'll smile and reply with, "Thank you." If they ask me what it's called...well, I think I might say something like, "It's one of those paper strips from a magazine and I can't recall what it was." :D
Edited to add that I can't believe I didn't even mention the leather note. It's definitely one of the topmost notes in this but I think it's so well-balanced and mild that it gives the perfume its 'warm skin' feeling. Think of the most supple, soft and buttery thin leather with a sheer layer of intoxicating sweetness. You want to put it right to your nose and breathe in slowly and deeply because it's just that good.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 10/31/2013 12:15:00 AM More reviews by Fragranceaddict

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Ladies do you get lasting power with this one? For me my impression is a lovely aroma. This fragrance in my opinion is very unisex without being masculine or feminine. I think either sex can wear it without offense.

I am getting a comforting spice, a leather and a warm fall feeling with this fragrance. There is nothing offensive or unappealing about this scent to me. The only thing I am noticing is a weak lasting power with limited strength. I would think for the price this would be very long lasting and a strong performer.

UPDATE: I wanted to give this another test. Sometimes I do think our noses can get tired or accustom to scent. I reapplied and it appears to have decent lasting power. Still I feel that the price tag is not justified.

rated 2 of 5 on 9/21/2013 5:22:00 AM More reviews by rena10

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Lost my love for this now that RHIANNA ROGUE HAS COPIED IT AND its not special anymore......

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 5/31/2013 9:54:00 AM More reviews by FakeLashes

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I think this scent is something special, I loved it at first whiff so I got the little purse spray. This is a cold fragrance perfect for autumn or spring, more suede then leathery and it smells faintly floral/fruity. Really something different that you should try out before you buy, this would not be recommended for a blind buy. Although I love it, I find the lasting power quite pour for such an expensive fragrance, that's why I only gave it 3 lippies but I can also tell you that I would buy a bigger bottle when my purse spray runs out!

rated 4 of 5 on 2/2/2013 2:19:00 PM More reviews by gmstrack

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Bottega Veneta by Bottega Veneta is classified as a Floral Chypre, but I would describe this as a Fruity Chypre. The luxurious bottle evokes feminine leather, mirroring the juice inside. First, I will address the issue of fruity vs. floral. According to the note listing, bergamot and pink pepper contribute to the fruity aspect, but as mentioned by other reviewers, plum seems to be a noteworthy note. So, here we have fruity leather, and possibly a modern take on Mitsouko. However, if Mitsouko (pre-reformulation) is an attic-confined trunk full of dusty leather-bound books, then BV is a freshly polished library full of leather-bound books. The library is spacious, maybe a window is open, but the trunk full of books holds other strange archaic treasures waiting to be discovered. Perhaps this distinction embodies the divide between the “vintage” fragrances and contemporary compositions. In 2013, we are stuffed to the gills with stuff and gadgets, yet our pastoral sentiments point toward a “fresh” and simple ideal as we attempt to process the daily deluge of information. At the end of the day, we are simply too tired and overwhelmed to rummage through the attic. Also, 100 years ago, it was a sign of progress, and perhaps status, to leave the house smelling like the latest chemistry. Now, we associate “chemical” odors with toxicity while body odor is synonymous with poverty and ignorance; time for your huge dose of aldehydes and civet! So we long for a simple time, free of pollution and full of pastoral landscapes and “organic” gardens.

5 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 11/15/2012 2:00:00 PM More reviews by celinelovesmakeup

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium Eyes: Green

I love this perfume, it is warm , feminine and has a great staying power. perfect for winter, a small amount on the neck and wrists will do .not a teenie perfume