August 30, 2014 | 1695 users online

Sunscreen - Alba Botanica - Very Emollient Sunblock spf 45 Lavender

rated 1 of 5 on 9/2/2013 7:36:00 PM More reviews by cassiecate

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

i bought this as my natural sunscreen for the summer for my face. It is terrible and it wasn't cheap.

It makes my skin so sweaty and oily, it's ludicrous. It's not formulated specifically for the face but it wasn't like I was doing anything too strenuous.

Waste of money.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/21/2013 1:49:00 AM More reviews by mmherman

Bought this on a whim when I was in my local health food store. It was on sale and the store was doing a 10% off everything sale, so this was pretty reasonable. You don't get a ton of product, only 4 oz, but I don't put suncreen on my body unless I am going to be outside for a long period of time. I put it on my face and my neck. Baby steps I guess in the area.

Anyways I used this today on my arms and chest when I was outside helping my friend build a firepit. We were in the sun from approximately 3:00-6:30 p.m. Half of the time we were in the shade of a tree and half of the time we were in direct sunlight. I didn't burn and I am very fair. I think I got a little color because I did not reapply, but that is okay with me. I am okay with a little color. I am just not okay with burning.

This sunscreen has physical and chemical sunblocks, which I hear is the best combo for sunscreen. Don't know if the physical blocks are nano particles are not. Again I know some people are concerned with that sort of stuff. I picked this up mostly because it was lavender scented (weirdly grown to love this scent I HATED lol) and because it was a mix of chemical and physical blocks.

Someone complained of the smell being like mothballs, but I don't think that is the case for me at least. I like the smell. It is different than straight up lavender scent, but it isn't offensive and I like how it dries down on my body. I can see if you are a scent sensitive person you might want to be a bad kid and squirt a bit of the product on your hand before you purchase it to see if you can stand the scent because I really couldn't get an idea of the smell from just popping open the tube. I found that with all the Alba sunscreens.

This is a thick lotion. It spreads nicely though, but when you start sweating it does get a gross greasy/lotion feel to it, but it goes away as you dry.

The packaging is cute and compact. It squeezes out easily and will be nice to just throw in a beach bag. I will be interested to see how this performed during a trip to Florida. I am going to try this and an all physical block sunscreen from Ocean Potion and compare them.

This says it is water resistant for 80 minutes. I haven't gotten to test that, but I will update in regards to that.

Update: SO in love with this after using it in Florida! I did get some color while I wore this, but I wasn't the best at reapplying, but I hardly burned at all. That is remarkable for me because I almost always burn (not tan). I didn't really want to tan, but I think that was sort of inevitable when you spend hours in the saltwater of the Gulf. I pretty much used up the whole tube because it is a small amount of product, but I will be buying this again the next time I have money. Highly recommend! :)

rated 5 of 5 on 12/15/2012 5:31:00 PM More reviews by cathedral

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

I've used this product on my face and hands a daily basis year-round for about 15 years (including it's SPF 30 predecessor version.) The scent is pleasant and the texture is rich and moisturizing. I credit it for keeping my skin well-protected from exposure to the sun. Highly recommend.

This product, unlike it's earlier version, does not cause tears if it runs into your eyes.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 9/25/2011 2:03:00 PM More reviews by flairgirl8

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

In general, I like Alba Botanica products. I just could not get past the strong scent of this sunscreen. It smells like lavender moth balls and the scent lingers. I could not wash this off my skin soon enough.