September 30, 2014 | 1988 users online

Eye Shadow - Guerlain - 06 Les Fumes Quad

rated 4 of 5 on 7/10/2014 12:32:00 PM More reviews by Geeves1980

I'm going to slightly ruin the 5* reviews for this as there is a major flaw with the palette that makes me sad!
The reason I like it and have kept it is because of the silvery, taupe colour to the right of the palette (if you are looking at it face on). This is one of the best eyeshadows I have and if I could find a dupe for this (I have tried and failed) it would make me so happy.
This shade is the reason I still love the palette and can't bear to give it less than 4 stars as Guerlain absolutely nailed this colour.
It is a beautiful, quite unique shade in terms of shade and complexity. It's the perfect cool toned taupe. Not too silver or grey, not too brown, not too light, not too dark. It is just perfect. The finish has the most gorgeous glow, almost metallic but without the sparkles or glitter.
It is the smoothest most buttery, dense formula and applies almost like a cream and with excellent pigmentation.
I wish they had a single shade the same as this in their collection.
The other colour I like is the top light milky brown taupe. Although I'm not as enthused about it as the otter taupe, I have come to appreciate that it is actually one of the best neutral taupe shades to define the crease if your were doing a light shadow/contour effect to pair with black winged liner and strong red lip type look. It is too an excellent formula, smooth and pigmented (although a neutral shade), blends well without bleeding away and has good staying power.

The shade that ruins the palette however and actually makes me a little angry, is the darkest charcoal colour at the bottom.
How did they get this so wrong!! It is one of the worst shadows I have used. It is sheer, dry, dusty, patchy and flat! Ito finish off the look I have to use an alternative (Burberry taupe brown or rouge bunny rouge blackpepper jay are excellent alternatives).

That is what makes me so angry. This could have been the perfect palette. The colour combination cannot be faulted. Two of the shadows are excellent, with the more unique shade being the selling point.
The third shadow on the left is good enough, nice colour but a little drier and sheer, but kind good enough with a little extra work and they slightly sheer pigmentation stops the overall look being too heavy, it's more the dryness, stiffness that makes it a little problematic. I cab=n still use that shade tough, unlike the other.

It means that I have to take a replacement with me, which defeats the purpose of having a quad.

I'm torn as to whether I would repurchase. If I find a good enough dupe colour and quality wis for the silver taupe then no, I don't think I would repurchase. Currently I have said yes as no such dupe exists, but I will update if that changes!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/24/2014 1:47:00 AM More reviews by NinaSun

This quad by Guerlain is simply divine. I have a couple of their quads but I feel like this is one of the best. The colors are all taupe themed and have great texture, pigmentation, wearability…just everything. The colors also don't have a ton of fallout when you dig your brush in there, which is great since that's a huge pet peeve of mine. This is great for an everyday office/school environment as well as a night out. I have been using this a lot lately when I want a subtle but still done up eye makeup look and even a couple times when I was out with friends. The only reason why I said I would not repurchase this is because it is on the pricier side as palettes come but otherwise there are no flaws with this quad.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/1/2013 8:50:00 PM More reviews by aidan83

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I was in love with the combo - tried to convince myself that i don't need it and use Urban Decay "Verve" and "Tease" from naked 2 to replicate - CAN'T!!

so I bought this one for travelling

downside is that the brown color if not used well could look dirty on monolid.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/1/2013 7:29:00 PM More reviews by mariella99

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I got this wonderful eye shadow quad for FREE using my SDM points (Canadian MUAers will know what I mean) after looking at it and telling myself I honestly didn't need it for weeks and weeks. Truth of the matter is that I probably don't "need" it as I love neutral shadows and have dupes, I'm sure, for every shade in the palette but still, I was just craving this so much. And I am so happy with it. The colours are exactly my favourite shades - 4 cooler toned neutrals that work together beautifully, apply so smoothly, blend seamlessly and effortlessly and give a truly refined look. Often with palettes, I find there is one shade that I'm not crazy about or not likely to use but that's not the case with Les Fumes....every one of the 4 shades is one that I can wear well and the shades look awesome whether worn on their own or put together in various combinations. The only "flaw" with this quad is that there isn't a true highlight colour (matte or shimmery) so if I take this away with me for a few days, I have to take something else along with me for a highlight. My favourite shades are the 2 on the sides - the silvery taupe on the right and the cool toned slightly browner taupe shade on the left. I use these 2 shades the most but all 4 shades are total winners. The case is lovely and heavy and luxurious and includes a mirror that is the full size of the lid. Definitely this is a palette worth purchasing.

Update - August 11, 2013: My daughter was married yesterday and after agonizing and over-thinking it for a few weeks because I wanted to look my best, I settled on Les Fumes for my eye look (with Freesia from Stila to deepen my crease and harmonize the blue of my dress with my eye look, and with MAC Blanc Type as a highlight). I was so happy with the outcome. I felt I looked elegant and sophisticated and my makeup didn't need any retouching all day, except for reapplying lipstick. My eye shadow (overtop primer) was still pristine after what ended up being close to a 20 hour day (it all stood up a whole lot better than my FEET....I was happy to shed my heels for dancing flats!) I will rely on this quad any time I want a "no brainer" look that I can count on for a classic and elegant effect.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/23/2013 12:38:00 AM More reviews by adele37

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I am so grateful for board hype because I wouldn't have looked at this product otherwise - and it's a stunner. Les Fumes is a taupe lover's dream: it's got a lovely shimmery silver, a dusty mauve, and two taupe shades. Texturewise, the shadows aren't nearly as creamy as Rouge Bunny Rouge or Burberry shadows, but despite the slightly drier feel, they blend effortlessly and last well.

I get a lot of mileage from this quad. I've worn the silver on the lid with any of the other shades in the crease, I've worn the lighter taupe on the lid with the darker taupe in the crease, the silver in the inner corner, and the mauve as a transition/crease color, I've used it for a smokey eye. It's a no-brainer any morning I'm in a rush. It's a beautiful, beautiful quad, and I highly recommend it.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/21/2013 8:37:00 AM More reviews by thecharm

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Blue

Pricey but well-nigh flawless, Les Fumes is a gorgeous quad instantly popular with many a taupe hoor, as it includes three dusty taupe shades (dark, charcoaly matte, sheeny silvered champagne, and satin putty, all conveniently sufficiently taupe) paired with a rosy beige matte that sets them off beautifully. I usually dislike Guerlain eyeshadow texture but this quad seems to make it work: the shadows are dry but silky. Not impressively pigment dense if packing on color is your top priority, yet they do build well. I get effortless "dirty but the best kind of dirty" smoky eyes from Fumes. Pictures do it no justice.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/5/2013 12:24:00 AM More reviews by ImYourFavoriteDrug

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Other, Medium Eyes: Green

I think this palette is perfect for fair girls who shy away from smoky eyes like me. The variations of beautiful taupes make a more refined version of the smoky eye as opposed to gunmetal silver and blacks. The textures are very smooth in this palette and I find that I can make a multitude of looks. To be completely honest, I first thought the dark taupe colors in the palette looked unappealing when swatched, but worn on the eyes, they look fantastic.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/5/2012 12:25:00 PM More reviews by dddoxie

I have a sickening weakness for eyeshadow and eyeshadow palettes in particular. I by no means 'needed' to get this quad, but I'm telling you, you NEED to get this.

I was definitely a skeptic buying this since I've purchased other Guerlain products before that just didn't work out well for me. But I gave this a shot, purchasing sight-unseen and mainly because it has been blowing up on the boards lately.

I am 100% unregrettably in love with this palette. The quality of the shadows is superb. So finely milled, complex shades and last all day. These colors are sophisticated and polished. Just great 'everyday' colors to wear to the office or in any professional setting, in my opinion.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/22/2012 7:08:00 PM More reviews by CoonieR

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Gorgeous! I bought this online after seeing pictures/swatches that compared this to Bobbi Brown's Stonewashed Nudes palette (one of my favorites). This is a lovely mix of taupe shades that is even better than Stonewashed Nudes, IMO.

The colors coordinate easily, and I like how there are three shades with a little shimmer and one matte for variety. It's easy to get a polished look that's neutral enough to work with just about any color clothing. I'm an NW15 with blue eyes, and all four of the shades work well on me.

What I really like about this is the blendability and lasting power. This will last all day over a primer without fading or creasing. It's very easy to blend. This really feels like and looks like a HE shadow.

I highly recommend this to anyone who loves neutrals and/or taupes. It's worth the hefty price tag.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/7/2011 10:24:00 AM More reviews by bellyhead

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I've never used any Guerlain eyeshadows before but had been lured by the beautiful ad images for Fall as well as the many blogger write ups for the new 4-color quads. I am so impressed! There were several beautiful quads that I was keeping my eyes one, but the Les Fumes were especially lovely in person in the store. The pigmentation is high but the smoothness and the blendability is fantastic. The quality is comparable to some other high end brands.